Buying Advice John Deere 790 4X4 advice

/ John Deere 790 4X4 advice #1  

mitchdb

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4710
I was at the John Deere dealership on Saturday, they have a package deal.

Brand new:
790 4x4
Front End Loader
5' Rotary Cutter
5' Box Blade
Post Hole Digger
&
16' Tandem Trailer to haul it all on

All this for $16,888!

Is this a good deal? This will be my first tractor, I'll mainly use it for clearing some property and cutting the grass. I don't feel like I need a larger tractor! What questions do I need to ask? Should they do free pickup and delivery for service? What do the experts think?

Thanks a lot!

/ John Deere 790 4X4 advice #2  
I think that's a good deal.

Granted, prices in California seem to be outrageously higher than anywhere else, but 4 X 4 JD 790's that were "gondola tractors" with a new FEL and about 40 - 80 hrs use are going for $14,995.00. Gondola tractors were leased by vineyards to haul the 4 wheel farm trailers they use to harvest grapes. They are in great shape, but still are 6 - 8 months old. They have not been used for any heavy work. but are still "used". As I mentioned in another post, the dealers here on the Central Coast get 50 - 80 of these every season returned from the vineyards, and they sell everyone of them without any problem, at $14995.00.

The 790 is a great tractor that will last a life time and hold it's value. If you can live without the hydrostatic transmission, you can't go wrong. If you're going to mow, you either need a rear finish mower, or have to make sure that this 790 has the mid-PTO installed. They do not all have that.

The trailer is worth $ 1,500 - $2,000, the 5' cutter from $ 600 - $1,100., box blade $300 - 400 and I'm not sure on the Post Hole Digger, depending on brands, etc.

If they were selling for that here, the dealer couldn't keep enough of them.

Joe1

/ John Deere 790 4X4 advice #3  
"have to make sure that this 790 has the mid-PTO installed. They do not all have that."

The Mid-PTO is a dealer installed option. It's about $400 installed, so I wouldn't let that be a show stopper.
Now, the price of a Deere Mid Mount Mower for the 790 might be the show stopper...they're pretty expensive.

790 is a great machine for less then 10 acres of residential or "hobby farm" usage.

The price, considering all the implements and a trailer!!! , is really good, in my opinion.

/ John Deere 790 4X4 advice
Joe1: Thanks for the response. I'm really hoping to get a positive response on the 790. I went to the dealer looking for a 4000 series but I really like the 790 and the price. I've been trying to figure out what I will need to do that the 790 could NOT do but I can't seem to find anything. It just seems likes it's too good to be true.

This is my 1st tractor so I'm not really looking for the hydrostatic trans. Maybe I'll look in to something like that on my next tractor. I'm really just looking for something that will do just about everything on my 30 acres, just on a smaller scale. I've got a shovel and wheel barrel now, so anything is an improvement!

But I've got 1 other question: The 5' rotary cutter isn't considered a mower? In other words, I need to buy something else to cut the grass with? Is the rotary cutter just for brush and tall grass???????

Thanks again!

-Mitch

Roy: I have 30 acres total, 10 or so acres trees and creek and the rest pasture! This is going to be a weekend home, although there is no house on it yet! Am I thinking too small? I don't want too much tractor, it just seems like overkill!

Thanks!

/ John Deere 790 4X4 advice #6  
"Roy: I have 30 acres total, 10 or so acres trees and creek and the rest pasture! This is going to be a weekend home, although there is no house on it yet! Am I thinking too small? I don't want too much tractor, it just seems like overkill!"

It really depends on how much of that 30 acres you're going to improve and maintain. Should you put a house on it eventually, you'd want a lawn and a driveway. If you expect to keep most (20 or so acres) natural, then the 790 should do well. What is that property like now? Treed? Scrub brush?

"The 5' rotary cutter isn't considered a mower?"

The cutter is for rough brush (as shown in the attached picture)...no, it isn't a mower unless you don't mind a really rough looking lawn. A cutter is for field maintenance. I own both a cutter and a mower. If you've got lawn type grass, you really want a finishing mower(also call a grooming mower). If your property is pretty open, a rear mount (on the three point hitch) mower works great and much less costly then a midmount mower.

Attachments

• 370380-MVC-004F.jpg
    370380-MVC-004F.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 442
   / John Deere 790 4X4 advice #7  
That doesn't sound too bad as long as you want the trailer. That is a major component in the cost. If you didn't want a trailer you would do better buying what you want individually.

I have the 990 but have no trailer to haul it on. I don't have a tow vehicle capable of pulling anyway. The tractor with loaded rears and FEL plus the trailer would exceed the towing capacity of my F-150.

The property is a mix! There is a clear pasture in the front left side and the rear right side. The middle, actually kinda "S" shaped is trees and fairly large creek. There is no way to get across to the back portion of the property just yet, it needs a lot of clearing and culvert!

The pictures are the front left portion of the property and the creek. These picture were taken a couple of weeks ago, once Spring rolls around and everything starts greening up, the creek area will be extremely thick.

Attachments

• 370397-Land 1.jpg
    370397-Land 1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 445
Other picture

Attachments

• 370398-Land 2.jpg
    370398-Land 2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 386
I can sure use the trailer! I have a smaller trailer right now but it won't haul a tractor. I have Ford Powerstroke to haul things.