Buying Advice Used John Deere2140

/ Used John Deere2140 #1  

etfww

Tractor
5303 John Deere
I have been looking to buy a good used cab tractor that is economically priced for use in the hay field. I recently found one that I was interested in that was near me. The tractor was listed on Tractor Trader online. The initial ad stated all the equipment options and that it was in good working condition. Yesterday I was checking again and they had added a statement that they could not get it to go into first gear. They said it would grind and not stay in gear. Their statement was " synchronizers?, cable?, we don't know." The tractor was priced at $13,500, which seemed like a good price if in good working condition. It is a 4 wheel drivecold AC, heat ,radio etc. With a problem of this nature would it be worth trying to buy at a reduced price and fixing it? Does anyone have any ideas on the root cause of this problem? Or, would this really be something to steer really clear of as the cost to fix it might not justify the repair. Any advice and guidance would be appreciated and any ideas of rough estimate to repair would be appreciated.

/ Used John Deere2140 #2  
Call your local John Deere dealer and ask what a complete transmission rebuild would cost on this model. Probably a pretty big number. I think you would need to assume the worst on a deal like this.