If you could do it all over again...

/ If you could do it all over again... #1  

Waldo

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 (sold)
Now that most of you own and operate your "toys" and have a better understanding of what implements are most important to you, in what order would you purchase them in?

I now have just shy of seven acres and after my dozer guy gets done, clearing will no longer be an issue. I intend to get a 4310 or 4410 tractor (e-Hydro, R4's, third SCV, mid PTO and cruse upgrade) with a 430 loader, MMM and MX5. I have to stay under $30K. As you can see, my budget will allow for some implement purchases. I will be maintaining a 300' driveway, mowing, landscaping... the usual stuff.

So, how would you spend the $10K or so after the tractor, FEL, MMM and MX5 and why?

Would you go with two serious items like the 4 in 1 bucket and the 48 backhoe?

Or if it was you, would you get a lot of smaller items like a box blade, spreader, rake...?

I am going to stick to the John Deere and Frontier brands because I am only 30 and want them to last a long time (not that other brands are bad)

This should be a fun thread to watch /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for your time,
Waldo

/ If you could do it all over again... #2  
For me at age 30 I'd be thinking of getting rid of any interest acumulating payments.

Egon

/ If you could do it all over again... #3  
My quick, knee-jerk comment is to go ahead and buy all the big stuff first, e.g. 48 BH and bucket. Later on, you might not be able to "rationalize" the cost of adding them on. Also, you may be able to negotiate a better deal and take advantage of some of the promotional financing packages around at the time of the purchase--even 0% for a couple of years.

It's a lot easier to add the less-expensive implements later if you don't need them right away. Plus, that's half the fun as the years go by. Imagine in two years trying to convince your spouse (if applicable) that you need to add a $6-thousand backhoe versus a $400 rake or box blade. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ If you could do it all over again... #4  
Unles you are intending to use it comercially, I would scratch the idea of a backhoe, as you can rent one as you need one and save a bundle. If in the long run you have the use of one by all means, dive in.

/ If you could do it all over again... #5  
The answer probably depends on what you need to do first. But I'd opt for a 430 loader with 4N1 bucket and a 48 backhoe. That way you can do a lot of basic work from the start. Plus you'll probably get the best discount you can get now, and why not get it on these bigger ticket items. With these you can move dirt and brush and dig, but not cut very well, so I'd add a cutter or mower next.

Unless you have a lot of lawn to cut, you might skip the MMM and mid-PTO and save some $ and use your lawn tractor (assuming you have one). But then again that might be the initial justification for the tractor.

/ If you could do it all over again... #6  
I recently got a 4310 with the 48BH and the FEL. My "logic" /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif was to get the big $$ now for two reasons... 1. I need both items for the work I'm doing on my land - and 2. the financing is really attractive - can't beat 0 percent unless they actually paid you to take their money. Now for my purchase I actually financed a small portion and paid the rest of it cash. I did exceed my original budget by a few thou, and thats what I let Deere carry for me.

Someone else made the point as well, that it's easier to spend a few hundred on the smaller (i.e. cheaper) implements down the road. I say get what you really want now, and get the smaller items down the road.

Just as an aside - thank goodness I got the BH - we got flooded the day before my tractor came. I never would have been able to break into the frozen ground by hand to trench the water away from the house - it took me 3 hours with the BH, but I got it running away from the house - it saved our finished basement - so in some way the BH has already partially paid for itself - /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif thats my story anyway!

Take Care - and I hope you enjoy whatever you end up getting.

/ If you could do it all over again... #7  
I would opt for the BH 4 n 1 and boxscaper in that order. I suspect you will have a lot of landscaping to do after the dozer is done. But all can do is guess on what you need to acomplish on 7 acres and what you whant to end up with. Is this a new place.? are there large animals in your future.? fencing, haying.? We do not have enough info to help you much at this point. but it does look like you have a great bunch of fun in front of you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good luck

/ If you could do it all over again... #8  
waldo,

Even though you are having the land cleared I think I would still
get the 4n1. That is just so useful to me that I can't imagine
being without. I always have trees falling that need cleanup.
And if you have a gravel road the 4n1 and come in handy for
keeping it in good shape.

Now for the backhoe. That is serious money. Unless you have
lots of work, meaning stumps to dig up, trenches to dig, plants
to plant, I think buying a BH is not worth it. I have 54 acres
with a 1600 food long road that I had to pull the stumps out of.
I cleared a couple of driveways and house sites with the BH.
I might just might have recoverd my cost on the BH. I still
have more stumps to dig, at least one if not two or three
foundations to dig, and a couple of trenches for power. So I
feel the BH was worth the money. If I did not have so much
work to do I don't think it would be worth the cash. A JD 48
is some serious money. You can buy lots of other attachements
for the price of BH such as tillers and augers.

Staying out of debt is a good thing. And at 30 you could take
half the money you would spend on the BH say $4000 and by
the time you retired you might have $128,000. You can
always rent a BH.

later,
Dan McCarty

/ If you could do it all over again... #9  
Here's my take.

Do both, get the tractor and toys. Especially the hydraulics, have done up front. If you feel you can justify the backhoe, and or the 4n1, get that stuff done in your initial purchase. You want them plumbed right, and on an initial purchase there will be less surcharge for the work. Plus, you won't have to bring the tractor back. You can do those yourself, but why learn on yours, let someone with experience handle them.

I went with the 4310. It is a significant savings over the 4410 (more attachments...) and only 3hp less. I was dead set on the 4410, mostly swayed by the errors that Deere had in the advertising that listed the 4410 as having significantly higher torque. But some knowledgeable tbn'ers beat sense into me. Of course, you would not regret the 4410, but 3 more Hp and no MX5 is not near as good as a 4310 with it. I have never regretted not getting the 4410. Your mileage may vary...

I got the 47 Backhoe. Sure the 48 is a little stronger, and has more reach. But then you'll have people (already have) telling you don't get a backhoe (and you should consider their advice) Not getting a backhoe wasn't even an option. I was told in no uncertain terms that we were getting the backhoe or NO TRACTOR. So I got the hoe. Now, 99.8% of my backhoe use is for trenches and footers, and 2' depth is all I really need. The 47 is no toy, and for that it really shines. (I live in Oklahoma, and my water lines only need to be 18" deep...) The 47 is a 7.5' depth versus 8.5 on the 48. I got mine for ~$5K and I am glad I did! We use it a lot, and rental won't cut it.

You can save some more money going to the 420 loader. DON'T. It is a good loader, but more limited on attachments.

I don't have a 4n1. But I would suggest that if you want one that you get it up front (OK, at first, where else would you put a 4n1..?) Get the plumbing all working at once, which with a backhoe, MMM, loader, and 4n1 will be significant) There is a manufacturer named Long (not the Purple tractor guys) that makes a good 4n1 that should be wider than 61". But ask a good dealer, you might be better served by a 61" Deere bucket. There may be a good reason theirs is 61".

A box blade or rake or whatever, is easy to add later. You can just pick them up and get to work. Deere will send you attractive finance specials so you can add them. Of course, any thing you get in your initial bid will most likely be at its most competitive price.

/ If you could do it all over again... #10  
Oops, I see you're at Tinker. So my OK comments apply to you as well. I got bids at several dealers and found one where I save about $3K, Let me know if you'd like to try them...