855/955

/ 855/955 #1  

99S10

Tractor
94 John Deere 855
Just started looking for a replacement for my old Ferguson. I've pretty much decided on either a 955 or 855. I'd like a front loader and preferably a 72" belly mower. What I'm seeing advertised seems in the 9-10 thousand range. What is a good price? Is a tractor with 2000 hrs something to stay away from.
Thanks for any input.

/ 855/955 #2  
99, I've watched 55 series prices for a good long while. Mower, loader and tractor at 9-10k seems about right. Personally, I would shy away from one with that many hours. Many will say not a worry. I see plenty out there with <1k hrs for just a bit more money. Obviously, how it was cared for is the biggest deal with a tractor that age. As a go-by in March I saw a late 955 in WI at a dealer with 250hrs, 70A loader, nearly perfect shape go for $12.5k. I was caller #2. #1 got it.

/ 855/955 #3  
I believe the 55 series are all gear tractors. Have considered HST? A lot more convenient.

/ 855/955 #4  
The 955/855 tractors were small-size (2000# naked) HST tractors made until the late 90s.
Very desirable because they had high-hp Yanmar DI engines, and were fairly reliable. I have
had 4 of them, all ex-rental units.

Problem areas are the poor front grille design allows them to fall off, and not be
easily secured. The battery is behind the grille, and it is a tight fit. It is easy to short
the battery against the air filter bracket.

The engine is mounted in rubber mounts onto a ladder frame. The mounts fail often.

The FEL needs to adjusted to stay tight.

This is about the first of JDs very ergonomic HST designs with no foot clutch, brakes on
both sides, and right hip side FEL control.

They are still very popular, and a good one with FEL can easily bring 9-10K, depending on
where you are.

/ 855/955 #5  
I've had a 1987 JD855 for several years now... It has been a good unit for all the thing I need it to do... I was able to buy it very right... Use it a lot and enjoy using it..

However... I will say, at this time dedicated implements for the 55 series are harder to find and getting expensive.... Snow, FEL, mid mower deck can be found, but the necessary hardware to go with the implements can be hard or impossible to find...
It may be a better idea, easier to get newer equipment with easier accessory availability... Although it may be more money...

Good luck...

/ 855/955
Just an update to this and my thoughts. I have found several of these with loaders and around 1000 hrs that would probably suit my needs. Contacted some sellers including one dealer and they all say bottom line is $9000. But no one is buying them as the ads are a month old. I suspect the fact that you can buy a much newer and less used tractor for 14-15 makes it hard to justify 9 grand for a 17 yo one. I made a cash offer of $8700 on a 94 855 & loader, 1100 hrs original owner. If they don't accept that I'm going to keep looking or maybe go newer.

/ 855/955
I wanted to follow up on this. After several days passed, the owner agreed to my offer. I have the 855 here and have gone over it completely with all new fluids and filters. The only real issue is the tach/hour meter cable is broken. The owner seemed honest and said it didn't have much use after breaking and he never fixed it because he quit using the machine. He had 5 acres but now lives in a residential plan. The tractor has been sitting in his garage for the past few years since their move. I understand the cable is a common problem with these and I can see why. It make a tight 90deg turn right where it comes out of the drive and that is where this one broke. The tach itself is OK so I ordered a new cable.

Despite the hour issue I am thrilled with it. It has been garaged it's entire life and obviously well cared for. Guy has a JD plate on the frt of his truck and his wife said it was his baby. No rust, no spray can work, the grille is perfect, bucket still has a lot of the OE paint and not bent up. Engine fires right up and runs great. Puff of black on starting but nothing after that. I went all over it and it's completely dry underneath. This thing is built like a tank. I am very happy!!!

/ 855/955 #9  
That's a nice little tractor! I drove one at work (955) when it was new and wished I had one for a lot of years.