Looking at older JD 850. Any advice appreciated. Crank issues?

/ Looking at older JD 850. Any advice appreciated. Crank issues? #1  

canucklehead

Gold Member
Tractor
1979 Ford 1500, Toro 455D 10' mower w/ Renault diesel,
I am looking at a John Deere 850 2WD. Only has 680 hours. Seller thinks it is an early model year based on low VIN. According to tractordata site, it could be as early as 1979. has a yellow John deere boom/loader.

Seller just had it in to JD to change transmission oil and repair and adjust chains on the rototiller ( included in deal). Also did oil change. I'm guessing probably hasn't seen a ton of maintenance. Might have original coolant as he's never changed it. Hydraulic oil probably never been touched.

Someone told me these were prone o crank failures, and parts are hard to find.

So what are your thoughts? Steer clear? Seems well priced and includes tiller, brush cutter, heavy back blade, and has loader. Low hours make me more interested. BUT...if I'm buying a time bomb that is destined to failure... maybe I should avoid?

thanks for your feedback.

/ Looking at older JD 850. Any advice appreciated. Crank issues? #2  
Can't speak to the 2wd, but I've owned my 4wd 850 since 1990 when I bought it new off the lot. I've had the loader on it since purchased, used for manure handling, pushing over small trees digging to bury dead animals. 754 hours. Maintained according to operator's manual. I've replaced the battery once. A few hydraulic hoses, one front steering part. My dealer has been able to find all the parts I need, including the light switch which was on his shelf. I would suspect you might run into front end problems if you used the loader as heavily as I do, simply because the 2wd is not as beefy as the 4wd front end. On a trade for a new JD, they offered me $2,000.00. I'll hold onto this machine until it just won't run. Then if I could replace it with the same same, I would.

/ Looking at older JD 850. Any advice appreciated. Crank issues?
wow, a 4x4 with FEL and only 754 hours....they only offer you $2K!! That's an insult. I'd buy it from you for a lot better than that. But at 754 hours you should keep as it has tons of life left.