JD 4300 vs. JD 4310

/ JD 4300 vs. JD 4310 #1  

mwood

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 1023E
I just came accross a privately selling JD 4300 with under 1000 hours and a 420 loader for a very (VERY VERY) good price. I am planning to go look at the unit this weekend. Now for my delima. I have the literature for the 4310 but know very little about what changed between the 4310 and the 4300.

Any input would be greatly apreciated!

/ JD 4300 vs. JD 4310 #2  
By far the biggest change is the HST transmission. In the 4300, the hst pedals directly controlled the hst an were very stiff. It was difficult or many women, and really got tiresome for most folks (I am speaking from limited experience, owners might chime in to say it's no big deal...)

The 10 series went electronic on the HST and the reverser.. The HST requires far less effort on the pedals. The new reverser allows the user to adjust the speed that direction changes take.

There are some less apparent changes like in the front axle.

The eHydro also added a few handy features, like increased ergonomics, placing the controls in a very handy layout. There are some other gems like MotionMatch (like the eReverser) and LoadMatch which controls the transmission to reduce stalling under load.

The big deal:

If the 4300 is a syncshift, there is little to differentiate it from the 4310

If it is a reverser, it won't have the MotionMarch

If it is a Hydrostatic, you might not like the pressure required by the pedals.

4300s can be 2wd or 4WD (MFWD in Deere Lingo) There is NO DEBATE here, you must have MFWD (anyone arguing this point will be shot /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

/ JD 4300 vs. JD 4310 #3  
The only thing I would add. the Hyd on the 4300 gives a feel that you can control. It is hard for a small person to control On the EHyd there is none. a little hard to control and get use to using. I would buy the 4300 in a heartbeat at the good price. Actually the 4310 is the same tractor with electroic added, some OK most window dressing.

If you couldn't tell, I have a 4300, but played with a 4310 not worth the price, to trade.

dpr

/ JD 4300 vs. JD 4310 #4  
<font color="green"> If you couldn't tell, I have a 4300, but played with a 4310 not worth the price, to trade </font>

Good point!! I think that speaks well of it. I have NO TROUBLE controlling my 4310, but I bet a 4300 owner would have a little bit of a learning curve. I doubt that it would be worth trading in . I smell new models by 2005 or 6 at the latest, then we may be trading!

I bet the 4300 is a good deal. One other point is to be sure that you get a price on a new setup, real out the door price. I am surprised how often the used machines are hardly any cheaper than new, especially if you finance...

/ JD 4300 vs. JD 4310 #5  
When you get more specifics, let us know...

<ul type="square">[*]MFWD
[*]Transmission (hydro, reverser, or Syncshift)
[*]included attachments
[*]Condition

[/list]

Also, you can go over to machinefinder and find similar machines, to give you a yardstick for comparison. These will be on dealers lots, and will have been prepped, and probably some warranty., so they should be a little higher...

/ JD 4300 vs. JD 4310 #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> really got tiresome for most folks </font> )</font>
No big deal there.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> There are some less apparent changes like in the front axle. </font> )</font>

What changed ?? I never heard about that before.

/ JD 4300 vs. JD 4310 #7  
<font color="green"> ( There are some less apparent changes like in the front axle. )
What changed ?? I never heard about that before. </font>

There were - um - issues with the front axle. I think those all were fixed.

I am no expert, just from memory.

/ JD 4300 vs. JD 4310 #8  
I wouldn't want it with the 420 loader, but would opt for the 430. The 420's are a light weight FEL and unfortunately bring the price down a lot when mounted on the mid-sized frames of the 4000 series.

But, it makes for some good prices used.

I do not have a problem with the HST pedal movement on my 4300 and I like the fast stop when letting off the pedal. The new hydro pedals on the 4x10's takes some getting used to, but is also selectable for response with the e-hydro.

/ JD 4300 vs. JD 4310 #9  
Now I know what you mean,the "turf destroyers",I have the old style axle that supposedly was hard on the turf,which is ok by me since I do not use my tractor to mow with. I prefer my axle because it is a stronger design(in my opinion).

/ JD 4300 vs. JD 4310 #10  
When I was looking for a 4600 I asked the local dealer what the "updated" front axle was. He stated that the only difference was that the newer models did not turn as sharp. Apparently, people would turn the machine too short and tear the turf.

I think I can learn how to prevent that. I don't know if the situation was the same on the 4300's.