Comparison Need advice - Compare JD 3series to ???

/ Need advice - Compare JD 3series to ??? #1  

Jtschnel

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 1026R
Friends,

I'm contemplating upgrading one of my 1026R's to a John Deere 3 Series. I've looked at the specs for the 3033R, 3039R, and 3046R. Initially I thought the 3033R but specs suggest if I ever wanted to use a flail mower/Bush hog type, I'd need at least the 3039. I also want a cab and with the 46 it'd be installed at the factory versus dealer putting it on for the 39. Initially, I'd get a front mounted snow blower, the quick disconnect loader, and possibly the backhoe.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the John Deere 3039R vs the 3046R (cost differential is about $2600). I'd also appreciate suggestions on comparable models of other manufactures to look at. Dealers in the area are Deere, Massey, and Kabota. Those would be my first consideration.

Would appreciate any input you might have.

Thanks,

Jim Schneller

/ Need advice - Compare JD 3series to ??? #2  
I'm pretty sure it's the same cab on all 3 models...all 3 factory mounted. I personally would appreciate the extra HP for running PTO implements and to make sure I had plenty for the AC also.

/ Need advice - Compare JD 3series to ??? #3  
Unless you are looking at some sort of after market cab, there is no way the JD CAB gets installed at the dealer after the fact. I originally had a 3320 O/S and upgraded to 3320 CAB. It runs 72" 7-Iron in high range with no problem, 60" SnowBlower and have done some work on driveway with 60" BoxBlade. No HP problems. No A/C problems. Never tried a flail / bush hog. The 3320 has been almost perfect for my needs about 98% of the time, except in rare cases where more FEL lift would have been nice. As a tongue in cheek comment, if you're comfortable with the price of a front mounted SB, then spend the extra $2,600 for the 3046 and you will never have to wonder if you "shoulda."

To be serious, I'm not sure you have provided enough information as to how much, how often, how heavy the workload is planned to be in order for responders to give a good answer. For example - the bush hog. How many acres? How big a BH? How often? What do you plan to BH and how tall / thick is it?

/ Need advice - Compare JD 3series to ???
Thanks for the responses folks.

I'm not sure about the Cab issue, I may have misunderstood the dealer when discussing the different models. Possibly he had the 3039R in stock is open platform and they would put one on that versus a factory order.

Concerning the use, realistically, for the most part at this time it'd be fairly light. The snow blower will get used considerably. Our driveway is relatively large and I end up doing many others just to help out ... not to mention my enjoyment. The loader will be used with grapple and forks in addition to some bucket work. The flail/bush hog would get minimal use at this time around some of our properties. Realistically, this is for future use as I'm looking to purchase some recreational/farm land and believe there'll be significant use possible. Same with the backhoe, at time limited use but want it available for future projects I have lined up including digging frost walls, stump removal, etc.

In short, lots of snow blowing use, lesser bush hog and back hoe use now.

Good point about the $2600 to up the HP, especially considering the cost of a front end snow blower.

Any thoughts on comparable Massey for Kubota versus the Deere?

Thanks,

Jim

/ Need advice - Compare JD 3series to ??? #5  
Just a point to consider. I must admit there are times I would have liked a front SB. I clear about 12,000 sqft with my rear SB in a very open environment so pin point vision is not a major factor. Between the outside cab mirrors and being able to twist a bit in the seat (to look backwards) and being able to use just one foot on the hydro it is not too hard on the neck. The main advantage to a rear SB, aside from initial lower cost, is the ability to keep the FEL mounted and be able to use a bucket and/or a FEL mounted power angle blade as required.

The FEL capacity will be the same on all three models (AFAIK without specifically checking the pump capacity) as will the ability to do BH work. With the Bush Hog work being minimal and in the future for first cut use smaller bush hog and take less than full width all at once to minimize HP requirements, so purchasing 3046 for just bush hog may be overkill. I suspect with both 3039 / 3046 you will run out of traction before horsepower. Take a good look at your SB requirements - width - single or double auger etc and compare the required HP to run that to your satisfaction, although going a bit slower in a real heavy fall is always an option.

Given my experience with 3320, with minimal knowledge of your requirements, given equipment I've seen at the local store and equipment I've seen the commercial guys use around here, I suspect the 3039 would be more than adequate for your current and future needs. As before, if budget is not a major concern, then 3046 and no second guessing.

I have not commented specifically on the comparable Massey / Kubota idea, since I've not gone to the market since 2008 and I'm sure things have changed since then for all three candidates. At that time, after looking at blue, two reds & two oranges, green clearly had the features and dealer support I wanted. Around here JD has the largest stores & dealer network by far and the farmers are substantially green product.

Just an interesting comment on how snow clearing in commercial parking lots has changed. For the last few years the local JD store has brought in approx 40 of the 6xxx and 7xxx series and front mount them with 10' - 14' Horst hydraulic snow pushers with pivoting hydraulic wings. They are leased to the lot operators / contractors for the winter and then the tractor sold to the farmers in the spring. Also seen are a number of New Holland bi-directional tractors with a huge multi auger blower on one end and bucket on the other.

Whatever you chose, good luck with your new big boy toy!

I ended up ordering the 3046R yesterday. I've also ordered the JD front snow blower and FEL. I'm going to put off the $9,500 backhoe until I really have a use for it. I'm also going to get a rotary cutter but haven't decided whether to go with the John Deere MX5, the Frontier RC2060, or some other brand.

I've also decided to

I ended up ordering the 3046R yesterday. I've also ordered the JD front snow blower and FEL.

I'm going to put off the $9,500 backhoe until I really have a use for it.

I'm also going to get a rotary cutter but haven't decided whether to go with the John Deere MX5, the Frontier RC2060, or some other brand. Still looking for advice on that purchase.

And lastly, I've decided to purchase a grapple system from Artillian. I have their fork system and will go with a two grapple/one rake module system which costs less than the Frontier grapple system.

I really appreciate the feedback.

Jim

/ Need advice - Compare JD 3series to ??? #8  
Go with a six foot rotary cutter. I use a 5 foot on my 1026r and I have no problem even in thick tall stuff. They thought I should get a 4 foot at the dealership but I used a 5 foot on my 8n and had no trouble so I tried it and no regrets.

Popsie,

If you used 5' with 1026R then I certainly should be able to use 6' with 3046R. What type of ground did you use it on? Grass, weeds, up to 2" saplings?

Jim

/ Need advice - Compare JD 3series to ??? #10  
I have the RC2060 for my 3032E, it will bog down in the thick stuff so I cant imagine it not bogging down on a 1026R. Doesn't bog down a lot but it will drop the RPM for sure

Last edited: