John Deere 5220 cab tractor

/ John Deere 5220 cab tractor #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
I'm in the process of getting rid of my New Holland 2120. I've had my mind made up on a Kubota L5030hst cab tractor. I went to a home and garden show the other day and met up with an John Deere sales man (part owner of the dealership) that sold me a lawn tractor for one of my customers at work a year ago. We talked tractors for a while and I found out his dealership bought out the John dealership that was close by to me. After talking some more I inquired about what JD had to offer in a cab model. He said the smallest OEM cab model is the 5220.

Are there any 5220 cab model owners out there?

I went on line and built my machine on the JD web site. The list price with loader came to about $46k. What could one expect to get for a discount?

Its seems very unfair to compare L5030 cab to a 5220 cab, kind of like apples and oranges. But is looks like the 5220 is a lot more tractor. I'm guessing but the difference in price between the L5030 and the 5220 would be in the order of $8k to $10k. Does that sound about right?

Also is the 5220 cab and L5030 cab the same in comfort, visability, etc.

Many thanks.

BTW I own a JD 318 garden tractor. One tough little unit!

/ John Deere 5220 cab tractor #2  
MSRP is 46,000 per your post

15% off is pretty decent: $39,100
20% would be screaming: $36,800

I dunno what a 5030 costs but I would be hard pressed to pass a 5220 for ground clearance if for nothing else.

/ John Deere 5220 cab tractor
Pricing for the L5030 HST cab with loader has been around $33k.

If I remember right one dealer said the L5030HSTC lists for $38.5k with loader.

/ John Deere 5220 cab tractor #4  
The 5220 would be more tractor. I agree with Scott, your dealer should deal down around 36,000 plus any extra options besides the FEL and MFWD.

On one hand, Kubota has the option of Hydro tranny which is appealling to me.

We have both a 4310 Hydro and a 5420 with PowerReverser tranny. Both MFWD and FEL. Neither has a cab, but the 5420 has an "isolated/insulated workstation. It is definitely so much nicer to drive across a bumpy field. The bigger front tires don't fall into all the small ruts and its mass makes it ride better. I sometimes wear a motorcycle kidney belt when I'm on the 4310 for extended periods. It is nice to use the 5420 to tackle the big jobs and to use the 4310 like a weedeater to clean up the small tasks.

It really depends on the tasks you have at hand.

So basically I'm looking at about $4K to $5K difference between the two. Are you getting that much more tractor for the diffence in price?

You mentioned you have both a JD hydro and a JD PowerReverser. How does the PowerReverser work for FEL work?

My tasks are... actually it easier to list my implemets. 7' heavy duty rear blade, 7' rock rake, Valby hyd. feed chipper, 6' Woods medium duty rotary cutter, T8 Harley rake, 74" heavy duty snow blower. I plan on keeping all my implements. My new machine will also need a backhoe, but that the least of my wories. If the tractor works out well it may replace one of our 3 plow trucks for rural snow removal business of 115 customers. In the summer we use it on our 40 acres but I do a fair amount do side work with the equipment too.

Thaks for your help.

/ John Deere 5220 cab tractor #6  
The Power Reverser is plenty good for FEL work. Basically, you can move the lever forward and backward without clutching by foot. The EHydro is great (especially when you have JD's Loadmatch option). You really need to test JD's Ehydro to see how the Loadmatch works for FEL work. Problem is, they don't offer a Hydro option on a cab tractor that I know of.

You have a very nice list of equipment. Wish you were a neighbor/close friend of mine. Although the 5030 would probably work, I think you'd appreciate the extra HP, mass, and size of the utility tractor. (For my chores, I'd love to have a 5030/cab, but more for summer heat than winter warmth) Just can't afford another machine right now.

A backhoe can be a tricky item to fit on a cab tractor. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I don't think a JD 5X20 series can use a cab (or isolated platform) with a backhoe. They interfere with each other. This may or may not be true with the 5030 Kubota. I'm sure others here will jump in and verify. I have zero experience with soft cabs, they might be your answer if you need a backhoe.

/ John Deere 5220 cab tractor #7  
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And I thought my $400 Husky blade trimmer was expensive - you've got a 4310 as a weedeater... phew, you've got me beat! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ John Deere 5220 cab tractor #8  
I'd seriously consider the JD. Go sit on one. It's more power and traction is a similar sized package to your 2120.
You should be ok as your implements are sized about right.
And they have big tires... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Chicks dig big tires! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Not yet. The JD local to me we just bought out by anthoer JD dealer. The saleman I was dealing with is the owner of both places. He's pretty busy right now traveling between the two stores. Also he doesn't have any in stock. We will be getting a 5220 with out cab in a few weeks.

I will keep you posted. I'm very anxoius to see the 5220. Looks like a lot of tractor!