A funny thing happened on the way to the John Deere Dealer

/ A funny thing happened on the way to the John Deere Dealer #1  

Lastkidpicked

Silver Member
Tractor
International Harvester Ford 850 Ford 8n
Time to replace the 8N, and wanted to demo the 3 series and the 4r series. A funny thing happened... while looking at the brand new tractors, we were all talking about how much has changed in 60 years. Ehydro, cruise control, and everything else.

But then it got interesting...

I jumped off the 4 series and onto the 8N to move it, and it hit me like a brick. The major things are EXACTLY the same!

Both tractors, you get in on the left side
Both tractors, the loader control is in the same exact place
Both tractors, the loader control joystick functions are basically the same
Both tractors, the three point lift lever is in the exact same place, and the three point hitch system is very similar. The drawbars are identical except color (I think the hole is even the same size)
Both tractors, the turning brakes operate the same way

This seems to be a real testament to how things were designed and used way back in the day. I wonder if those guys thought their basic designs would still be used even today.

P.S. -- Here's one difference... The new 4 has a cab, and the 8n has a mark on the throttle that tells you how fast you have to go to outrun wasps and hornets!

/ A funny thing happened on the way to the John Deere Dealer #2  
:)
there is something about the saying:
"the more things change, the more they stay the same"

good luck with your tractor search!
these cabs today certainly make weather a non issue for all the projects that need
to be done rain, snow or shine.

/ A funny thing happened on the way to the John Deere Dealer #4  
The 1916 Cadillac established the control layout used by virtually every car produced since....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Type_53

That is a very interesting tidbit of information. If I am correct, I believe Cadillac had the first starter on an automobile also.. I am glad they thought of it... I hate cranking big engines... especially diesels. :)

/ A funny thing happened on the way to the John Deere Dealer
Thank you for the link to the Caddy information. And like you say, Dutch-- the more things change, the more they stay the same!

/ A funny thing happened on the way to the John Deere Dealer #6  
With a cab you do not need the wasp/hornet outrun setting on the throttle.

/ A funny thing happened on the way to the John Deere Dealer #7  
With a cab you do not need the wasp/hornet outrun setting on the throttle.

I'm still looking for that setting on mine. Lol
Last nest I hit, I nearly broke my wrist (while swatting with my hat) by slamming it on the ROPS. Hurt so bad it kinda made me forget about the stings. :)

/ A funny thing happened on the way to the John Deere Dealer #8  
I'm still looking for that setting on mine. Lol
Last nest I hit, I nearly broke my wrist (while swatting with my hat) by slamming it on the ROPS. Hurt so bad it kinda made me forget about the stings. :)

This has been a bad year for me. I have found the rascals three times. Doctor told me I should start carrying the Auvi‑Q epinephrine injection kit.