Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD?

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #1  

El_Gato

Have decided that I will probably be buying a 4310 with e-hydro and R4's. It will be used on a 140 acre beef cattle farm. Mostly for using a 60" rotary mower, pulling a small hay rake, and utility trailer (hauling firewood, etc). Hayfields and pasture are mostly level or small hills, wooded area (40 acres) is hilly with a creek thru it.

I also have a Ford 5000 w/FEL used for misc jobs and moving big hay bales. I would just like something smaller for odd jobs, use less fuel, and also to not leave bad tracks in the fields.

My question is if the 4WD option is worth the extra cost and possible maintenance in my application?

I also considered buying a 790 but think the wife will get along better on the 4310.

I will appreciate any comments or recommendations.

Bob /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #2  
I would think that the 4WD would be handy to have.

I doubt that it would increase the maintenance significantly.

How much more expensive is it?

- Rick

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> My question is if the 4WD option is worth the extra cost and possible maintenance in my application? </font> )</font>

A 4wd drive is a must on a tractor especially a compact. I would NEVER have tractor without 4wd/without a loader/bucket and the bucket I would never have one without being a 4in 1.
A 4wd is worth every penny that it would cost you.

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #4  
Get the 4wd and you will never regret it. Compact are to light to do very much without 4wd.

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #5  
That you are asking this question indicates you are pretty new at using tractors, and I hope this isn't offending you.

You can leave the tractor in 2wd and not use it. However, that one time (or more) that you are in a tough spot, having the ability to put it in 4wd and getting out of the tough spot will be worth any extra cost. You asked.

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #6  
Welcome to TBN, we can always use new members who know the best tractors are GREEN. The cost of adding MFWD to a 4310 with ehydro is about $1110 MSRP. The only additional maintenance it would require is changing the lubricant in the front diffential and possibly some extra grease fittings on the front axle.

Okay, my property (11 acres) is flat, and I don't farm, yet I never considered NOT buying 4wd on my JD. Without it you will never be able to get the full capabilities of your tractor.
The first time you need it you will be so glad you spent the extra money, and if you ever decide to sell or trade in your 4310 you will get the additional cost back and then some. It would even make it easier to resell. GET THE 4WD....!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #7  
El_Gato

Get the 4WD, you can't ad it later.

Good Look

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #9  
My cabinet maker recently traded in a 2wd 18 hp JD diesel for a BX2200. He said he'd have kept it if it was 4wd. He lives on hilly land.

Can't imagine not getting a tractor with 4wd. A little mud, and those 2wd drive ones would stick the front wheels and bury themselves.

Ralph

/ Buying 4310 -- 2WD or 4WD? #10  
This is an excellent question. Especially considering your experience with a Ford 5000. While that beastie will do a super job with 2WD, you probably are seeing a bit of a trend suggesting 4WD.

Compact tractors need the 4WD a lot more than Utility tractors. The added weight alone is a real asset, let alone 40% more Hp on the ground. The resale value will be better. and it will be easier for your wife (and you) to handle.

I would suggest considering R1s. You won't have much trouble with ruts, the tractor is so much lighter than the Ford. You will get much better traction, and more wheel adjustment. The front R1s are 6 ply, and there is a 6 ply option for all four. (The std. R1s are listed as 4 ply, that is the rears...)

Now, getting 4WD and only turning it on occasionally is a different matter. I work in a DodgeJeep dealership, and that is the single worst thing that we see done to 4WD. Disuse just destroys them. I only turn off 4WD when I am on paved surfaces. That seems to be the only recommendation in the manual. Of course, if I had really fine lawn, it might be off more, but then I'd probably have R3s, too.

I don't want to steer this topic into a debate about whether disuse ruins 4WD in CUTs, but want to discuss this idea further, so I will start a thread in the General OwningOperating, since it would be good to here suggestions from other brands.

Lots of luck buying the new machine. Both my wife and I really enjoy our 4310.