4 Series M vs R

/ 4 Series M vs R #1  

farmer2009

Elite Member
Tractor
Multiple
Looking to purchase a new 4 Series Deere before the end of the year. I've been using a family members 4120 and its the right size for what I'm doing. Just want a few more horsepower in the same size. Sometimes the 4120 pulls hard. It'll be in a poultry barn so a lot of high RPM and Low Speed work. Looking at a 4052 or 4066. Except the reviews on the 4066 aren't good. The 4052 has good reviews. I just don't know whether to look for an M or R. It'll be an open station, Power Reverser with R4 tires and a SSQA loader.

Can someone explain the differences between the M and R series? Only things I can find online is a ~8-10k price difference, and the fender controls.

Size and seat height rule out most other brands. Then the ROPS shape and fold point rules out others. So pretty set on Deere.

Thanks

/ 4 Series M vs R #2  
The M series are basic tractors. They are available in open station only. The R series have more trim & convenience options. They are available in cabbed or open station.
If you think of them as pickup trucks. The M series would be work trucks, the R series are family vehicles. Both do the same tasks.

Here is a link to a brochure that shows the differences. Most of the differences are more options for the R series. I believe the large price differences you are seeing include a cab on the R series.
John Deere

/ 4 Series M vs R #3  
Hello Farmer. You mentioned in your post:
Looking at a 4052 or 4066. Except the reviews on the 4066 aren't good. The 4052 has good reviews.

If you have time, would you expand on that a little bit? Do you mean people just don't like it, or reliability issues? I'm looking at the same size tractor as you and would like to hear what you have to say about it.

/ 4 Series M vs R
Hello Farmer. You mentioned in your post: If you have time, would you expand on that a little bit? Do you mean people just don't like it, or reliability issues? I'm looking at the same size tractor as you and would like to hear what you have to say about it.

The only review I've read (I know not much to go on) is on John Deere's website. Says has no power. There's no review on this site and haven't found any others.

Just not finding a lot of reviews out there. Yet. Research time has been limited though.

/ 4 Series M vs R #5  
The only review I've read (I know not much to go on) is on John Deere's website. Says has no power. There's no review on this site and haven't found any others.

Just not finding a lot of reviews out there. Yet. Research time has been limited though.

That isn't much to go on imo. The prior 4720 tested to be higher than the claimed hp in the Deere specifications. Yanmar engines have been very good products but so far I haven[t seen a Nebraska test yet for the 4066 R or M.

/ 4 Series M vs R #6  
I sat on an M on the lot a few months ago, same day sat on a LS so my memory may be wrong. The M did not have tilt steering and the loader controls were mounted on the loader not the tractor like my 3320. I have yet to see an R on a dealer lot.

/ 4 Series M vs R
I sat on an M on the lot a few months ago, same day sat on a LS so my memory may be wrong. The M did not have tilt steering and the loader controls were mounted on the loader not the tractor like my 3320. I have yet to see an R on a dealer lot.

I have yet to see one on a lot yet last lot had 1, 2, 3, & 5 series and what looked like one of each model but not a single 4 series. Thanks. I think I'd want the tilt wheel.

/ 4 Series M vs R #8  

While looking for a 4066R a few weeks ago, I visited a nearby dealer and looked at a similar M series. Be advised that the M series loader is not quick attach but rather bolted to the tractor frame.

SDT

/ 4 Series M vs R #9  
Not sure where this information of the 4066R not having enough power is coming from. It is complete nonsense. I am from Canada and purchased one in December of last year. If anything it has too much power. I purchased a grapple for it and when picking up large pieces of cut wood to be placed on a splitter the hydraulics are so powerful that it bent the steel on the grapple when grasping the wood. The dealership has determined it needs to place a flow control at the grapple and the grapple will be fixed.

The e-pto option is great and I run it on most rear implements. I purchased the 4066R over the 4052R just because it had more power and I would rather have more then not enough. Just use caution when reading things that some people post.

/ 4 Series M vs R #10  
I'd agree with the comments on power. I have the smallest in that line, the 4044R. I had five Kubotas before this purchase, so really agonized over switching from a known to an unknown, but in the end it came down to the dealer. Kubota had been bought out and both morale and service were plummeting. While comparing the 44R to the equivalent cabbed Kubota, the power was greater, the controls better arranged, and the ergonomics spot on for me. The biggest difference was in the hydraulics; flow and lift were significantly higher with the JD.

I'm very happy with my 4044R!