New Deere Buying Experience

/ New Deere Buying Experience #11  
You have to watch those Deere dealers. The wife and I were in S. Florida several years ago, it was raining one day so all activity had to be the indoors type. We were driving down the street and passed a large John Deere Dealership. The wife had mentioned she would like a "Gator" for yard work but we had never looked at one. We pulled into the dealership and walked into the show room and were promptly met by a gentlemen who we later found out was the owner.

I told him we were from NC and that we had stopped because it was raining and the wife wanted to look at a Gator and I would appreciate it if he would allow us to look at the Gator on the show room floor. I also told him I could not pay the delivery charges for a NC delivery so we definitely would not be buying. This didn't phase him he showed us the Gator, discussed the options such as windshield, lights, turn signal, and power bed lift that could be added. He never seemed rushed or acted like he wanted to be doing something else. He then told me what a good purchase price for a Gator with the options I wanted would be. He then loaded us down with a bunch of brochures and we left.

I looked at the brochures that night in the motel and the next morning called my local John Deere Dealer. I told him I was interested in a Gator and told him the options I wanted. I could hear his adding machine in the background and he came back on the phone and gave me a price much higher that the one the Florida Dealer had told me would be a good price. I countered with an offer of $100.00 less than what the Florida Dealer said would be a good price and he said I can't do that. I thanked him and hung up.

A few minutes later my cell phone rang and it was the John Deere dealer asking me when I wanted the unit delivered. I laughed and told him I was in S. Florida and would not be back home until and gave him a date. He said okay I will deliver the Gator the next day, which he did along with the invoice. Nothing signed, just a telephone call and about 20 seconds of negotiations on the phone which amounted to my telling the dealer what I would pay got me into being a Gator owner.