Ballast in tires or in box?

/ Ballast in tires or in box? #1  

cjb

First post for me.

I have a 4310 on the way. Loader + BH. Mid deck mower someday.

My question for those who worry about such stuff: Should I get ballast in the form of calcium in the rear tires or should I get a rear ballast box. I'll need to make a decision in a week or so.

Thanks!

/ Ballast in tires or in box? #2  
Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do a search of all forums and all dates for calcium and you'll get a couple of pages of posts about this topic. Other search words would be 'filled tires', 'wheel weights', etc.

Both rear wheels weights and a weight box are removable. Since you mention eventually getting a mid mount mower, you might want to remove the weight to cut the grass. Others have filled their tires with windshield washer fluid or water, depending if you live in an area that experiences winter. Your profile is not filled in, so I don't know which would work for you.

The 'problem' with a weight box is that it has to be removed to use any 3ph device.

As with most topics on TBN, how best to get rear wheel weight is a personal decision. My opinion...I'd rather be able to remove the weight when/if I want to. If I was sold on filled tires, I would not use calcium. It's corrosive, if it leaks it kills whatever it touches, typically only a dealer can load it. I'd vote for windshield washer fluid or water (depending upon climate) which is something you can do on your own. Beet juice is another dealer installed solution.

I use wheel weights that consist of a bracket made by another TBNer on which I installed standard weight lifting weights, 150 pounds on each wheel (max recommended by NH for my tractor). The commercial version of a weight bracket is EZ Weights. Rear wheel weights, IMHO, are the best. Why? They can be removed if needed (filled tires are permanent) and do not preclude using 3ph attachments as a weight box does. Having said this, how you plan on using your tractor will determine which solution works best for you.

/ Ballast in tires or in box? #3  
That ballast box will set you back around $190 or so unless the dealer throws it in with the loader. You might ask him about that, by the way.
Buddy of mine just bought a 4310 with FEL and a snow blower. The dealer did deliver the ballast box as a freebie.

That ballast box will help a lot if you're going to use the loader, however it you're going to use a tiller, box blade, rear blade or other ground engaging implements, you might want those rear tires filled.

/ Ballast in tires or in box? #4  
I never filled my tires - didn't like that idea - and stuck with the ballast box. My dealer gave it to me for $130.

I keep it on my 4600 to balance my loader - but most of the time I'm carrying around my Frontier BB1172 Box Blade (which weighs more than my ballast box).

-Bob

/ Ballast in tires or in box?
Hi Mike,

I'm in the Seattle area.

Thanks for the well-considered thoughts. I hadn't known about the messiness of the calcium. And while I had thought about keeping the tractor light for mid-deck finish mowing of my lawn area, I didn't know if it was a big deal or not.

I'll talk to my dealer about wheel weights + a box instead. He was billing extra to have the filled-wheels prep anyway.

/ Ballast in tires or in box? #6  
I have got the box which was free and it weighs 1400 pounds with steel and concrete. Plus the tires are filled with 110 gallons of washer fluid. The tires are nice they don't add a huge amount of weight becuase it is evenly distributed. for mowing there awesome b/c you can leave it in 2wd and not spin much. The box is also nice to have for heavy dirt digging moving etc. I can easily pick the back end up when I roll the fel back when digging out trees or what ever. But you cannot fill the bucket so full as to get the rear end light with washer fluid and ballast box. I would personnally get the tires filled not a big deal if a couple gallons leak out go the autozone and buy more. Then you can add what ever weight you want or need to on the bakc. my 0.02. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Ballast in tires or in box? #7  
I've got beet juice in the tires as opposed to the ballast box. The R4's have a large enough contact patch that there is no damage to the lawn when using the MMM. Even in the spring when the lawn is very wet and mushy the front tires do way more damage than the loaded rears.
Was all set to go with the ballast box with surplus lead counterweights from DrillUnits (10 plates x 250 lbs) but the dealer mentioned having to drop the box to use the 3 pt. plus the fact that loaded tires are a bit more stable than the box option duse to a lower c.o.g.

/ Ballast in tires or in box? #8  
My brother has calcium in all his farm tractors. One is a 1960's Farmall 504 and one is a 1970 John Deere 4020. They have been loaded as long as I can remember and the rims are still OK. I have weights on the rims of my Farmall 200 and Cub Cadet 7260. Weight boxes are a pain in the butt.

/ Ballast in tires or in box? #9  
My bet would be front suicase weights and/or wheel / frame weights.. they come off to mow.. and are there when the backhoe is on.

Soundguy

/ Ballast in tires or in box? #10  
Did you order a Front End Loader? The ballast box is included in it's price... at least mine was.