Cab or Open air??

/ Cab or Open air?? #1  

sacarmic

Tractor
Deere 5085e, 3320
Looking at a new 5075e or 5085e to replace a 5303. Kicking around getting a cab this time. Never owned one before and would like to get some options on owning a tractor with a cab. The three things I am concerned about are:

1. having to constantly clean the cab from dust or dirt to see good.

2. having to getting in and out a lot when adjust 3pt high to connect equipment. (I don't use iMatch)

3, breaking or scratching from limbs it when bush hogging.

Thoughts or am I overthinking it?

Thanks,
Scott

/ Cab or Open air?? #2  
Not sure where you are located or if you need a cab.
I've only owned 4 tractors but have driven more than I can count. The first 3 were open station. I bought my first cab tractor in Feb. 2014 and I'm wondering why I didn't buy a cabbed tractor sooner.

Most of my tractor use involves winter use and plowing snow. Its so much nicer having a heated cab.

Inside the cab is fairly easy to clean. The floor mat comes out and can be washed off. I usually don't do that till spring. Outside cleaning isn't much different than cleaning a truck. A little soap, water, and windex and you're done.

Getting in and out isn't any different than a non cab tractor to me.

Worried about breaking glass, get insurance. I have insurance that covers glass breakage, theft, tractor damage etc. at a reasonable price.

A cabbed tractor is great even in spring, summer, and fall. Keeps the dust outside when working in those conditions. Also quieter in a cabbed model. Can listen to radio and hear yourself think. If I lived in the south I may not need a cabbed tractor unless I worked in dusty conditions.

Any tractor is going to get scratches, cab or not.

/ Cab or Open air?? #3  
If I lived in the south I may not need a cabbed tractor unless I worked in dusty conditions.
Dust is only one factor. I wear a dusk mask sometimes but not for the dust. Pollen can make it hard to breath. Down here where mid-day temperatures hit 100 and humidity not far behind, a cab with air conditioning is a must for us old folk. :)

I hope to be building a cab in the spring--After I finish some restoration and repairs on the 3910.

/ Cab or Open air?? #4  
Dust is only one factor. I wear a dusk mask sometimes but not for the dust. Pollen can make it hard to breath. Down here where mid-day temperatures hit 100 and humidity not far behind, a cab with air conditioning is a must for us old folk. :)

I hope to be building a cab in the spring--After I finish some restoration and repairs on the 3910.

I didn't want to get too long winded in my first reply but you are correct. A cab does help keep out pollen and most other debris and the A/C is nice too. I didn't think much about the 100 degree days as we don't have to many of those but A/C is nice on our many 80 plus degree days.

/ Cab or Open air?? #5  
Geographic/environmental location of your working area is a key factor. We need to know that to offer proper advice.

My 4105 doesn't have a cab option. However, UV rays can be (and at my present location [summer], are) one of those factors. Even on extreme UV days I 'rug up' with long trousers & long sleeve shirt, gloves & my Akubra... + sunscreen.

Other than that, being 'retired' I'm mostly a fair-weather tractor operator, so a cab isn't really a necessity.

/ Cab or Open air?? #6  
i used to have a L3200 without a cab for my fire cleanup and logging. the tractor was pretty bad looking after the cleanup was done. dents in the engine cover and the sun roof attached to the rops. dents on the hood, the grill and headlights were damaged, front drive line ended up bent and hydraulic lines dented. falling tree limbs are hard on equipment..
i had it repaired... all of the damage items replaced, but didn't need that sized of a tractor, now that the cleanup is finished.
if the L3200 had a cab, it would of been wasted.
i now have a B3350, with a cab. and yes it's more work. getting in and out. but having filtered air, with a/c, heat and a radio, is worth the wait.

/ Cab or Open air??
Thanks everyone, I live in the middle of Indiana. I love the open air in the spring/fall weather, but the summer humidity can be rough.

/ Cab or Open air?? #8  
Open air for me. If you gave me a cab tractor I would go trade it in for another open cab. Actually, I would trade in my current tractor and the new cab tractor for a M59 hopefully without a cab. My tractor stays parked for the winter. We don't get enough snow to bother plowing, and it is too muddy to do anything else. If I did do snow work I would want a cab. I rarely use my tractor for mowing. Now, an air conditioned cab on my ZTR would be nice.

/ Cab or Open air?? #9  
Cab.
If I ever replace my current tractor my next will have a cab.

/ Cab or Open air?? #10  
We have cabbed and open station, but I don't even use the open station ones, I leave them on another farm where my brothers live. My allergies have gotten so bad over time, I often wear a pollen mask in the cab.

I don't have guards on our M8540HDC yet, but my brother fabbed some up for my L5740. Cleaning is not a problem nor is getting in/out of the cab and we haven't broken a window yet.