Going to lookat and possibly buy a 4320 this morning.

/ Going to lookat and possibly buy a 4320 this morning. #1  

Intaernational d2

Tractor
NA
Here is the info:
2009 JD 4320 cab with heat/ac
400x loader
1100 hours
great condition
Skidsteer quick attach adapter plate

The owner is asking $27,900, which seems reasonable compared to others.

Just wanted to know if anyone had thoughts on what to look for on these. If I like it, What is a good price to pay.

/ Going to lookat and possibly buy a 4320 this morning. #2  
I'd look to make sure it isn't leaking coolant above/behind the fan pulley. Use a good light to check. I had a 2008 4320 and it developed a leak at a seal behind and above the fan pulley that was ultimately fixed under warranty. IIRC it involved removing the head and replacing some seals and gaskets. Not a trivial job. I thinks a few others have had similar experience. I now have a 2010 4320 with over 600 hrs on it and it has been trouble free.

Not sure what a good price is but the 4x20 series seems to be good cuts plus the older ones don't have the tier 4 emissions stuff (good thing).

/ Going to lookat and possibly buy a 4320 this morning. #3  
Here is the info:
2009 JD 4320 cab with heat/ac
400x loader
1100 hours
great condition
Skidsteer quick attach adapter plate

The owner is asking $27,900, which seems reasonable compared to others.

Just wanted to know if anyone had thoughts on what to look for on these. If I like it, What is a good price to pay.

Make sure everything works correctly, drive it and make sure it changes ranges, engage and disengage the 4x4, check each brake pedal. Look for leaks, a tractor this new shouldn't have any.

Try it under load to see how it does. If everything checks out okay I think the price is fair for both the seller and you.

/ Going to lookat and possibly buy a 4320 this morning. #4  
We have 2009 4320 HST open station, none of that power match stuff, with loader at the orchard. Was bought used from a perennial nursery for 21k back in 2011. Had 600 hrs when I picked it up and towed it to the job.

Have over 1200 hrs now. Hard hours too, daily commercial year round use, multiple operators etc.

It has really been a reliable machine so far.

The only mechanical issue was a water pump failure at the start of the 2015 season and I put a new one on back in May. Straight forward job and pump price wasn't too bad either OEM part.

Other than that just routine maintenance oil grease and fluids and still the original battery.

Bunch of other small stuff numerous broken flasher lights, broken steering wheel adjust springs, broken seat slide adjuster handle, seats all cracked now, broken pins and lost several stabilizer adjusters halves for lift arms. Ripped off hydraulic 4WD indicator switch with brush made a big leak. All these...operator attributed. :D

I like operating the machine. Its the most popular tractor with all the help.

One quirk the 4wd engagement lever is in when pulled up and often it drops back down to the disengage position. I have yet really discern if it its simply being hit by the operators arm or the shock of bouncing around thru the orchard. Anyhow its scary thinking your in MFWD and you find out your not on our hilly terrain and towing a wagon. Good thing there's also an indicator light on the dash.

Last edited:
   / Going to lookat and possibly buy a 4320 this morning. #5  
I have a 2005 4520 and it's a pretty nice tractor. It was ran hard by the previous owner, but still pulls strong. Since it's turboed, I've found running at 2000-2200 RPM provides the best power (when not using the rear PTO at PTO RPM).
One thing I have noticed about this one...the Deere Powertech engine is much more cold natured than my previous Deeres (all had Yanmar engines) and a block heater is essential.
So, since you're in Iowa...if the tractor doesn't have a block heater, I'd consider installing one.

By the way, I do have one question for you other 4x20 tractor owners... My hood really sags to one side when it's open (the strut only supports the right side of the hood). Is this typical?

/ Going to lookat and possibly buy a 4320 this morning.
After Looking at the tractor I need some advice based on some of the things I noticed.

Some background info: This guy was the second owner and he has only put 25 hours on is 2 years. He stated that it sat most of last summer in the shed.

Here are some of the things I noticed:

1. I had to pull reasonably hard on the loader lever to make it work in any direction. Could this just be a rusty linkage issue from sitting without much use?

2. I had a hard time shifting ranges. Again, it felt like I had to pull really hard, like the linkage had not been lubricated. I think I only checked 2 of the 3 ranges.

3. Error code 04 was on the instrument display. He stated that the dealer told him it was because of the summer fuel that was in it.

4. I have never driven a hydro compact, so I don't know what to expect in regards to how touchy it is. When I drove it it was about 1/3 throttle and the forward and reverse did not feel that responsive. Is this normal? When I accelerated to half throttle it was better, but I noticed reverse was less responsive than forward. I guess I'm use to a lawn mower that is jerky when you accelerate.

5. It looked like the hood had hail damage( I know it's plastic), but it turns out that it is the some support pieces that attach underneath the hood making it look like it has hail damage. Are these hoods made to look this way?

6. What is the normal interval for the trans. filter? It looked a little rusty and I don't know if it was replaced.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Going to lookat and possibly buy a 4320 this morning. #7  
I can only respond to 1 and 2...
Both should move (or shift) easily. I'd guess this may be a result of lack of lubrication rather than linkage.
As far as the error code, I'd confirm that with a dealer...per the manual Error 4 has to do with the engine speed (the operator's manual doesn't go too deep into this other than to contact the dealer.

/ Going to lookat and possibly buy a 4320 this morning. #8  
From the operators manual that came with orchard's machine an 04 code is a no engine speed input signal...machine response of no anti stall and cruise control function and performance loss

And that could very well be related to your number 4 question

Operators manual doesn't trouble shoot it though.

Didn't say what range you where in but bumping up the throttle some usually will give a better response with a hydro depending on the engine load and I believe reverse has speed limiter also. Was the e brake fully off? Not hard to leave them on.

Range selector levers can sometimes be difficult to move being they are just a mechanical gear engagement

Trans filter and fluid service along with cleaning suction screen is recommended every 400 hours and there is an in line filter shown too that needs to be cleaned at 1200hrs

/ Going to lookat and possibly buy a 4320 this morning.
I remember a warning light being on as well along with the err 4 code. I will have to contact he seller to determine what light was on.

Thank you guys for your input.

DFB, I think you're right about the reduced power and being related to # 4. Since I do not have a tech. manual, I will have to contact the dealer to see if I can get a diagnostic flow chart on it.

Roy- I think you are right regarding lubrication? I assume these have cables?

Last edited:
   / Going to lookat and possibly buy a 4320 this morning. #10  
I remember a warning light being on as well along with the err 4 code. I will have to contact he seller to determine what light was on.

I believe the warning light is on when showing an error code

Even if a bulb is out it flashes...seems like ours is always on! :eek: