Bought a 4300, I think I got a decent deal?

/ Bought a 4300, I think I got a decent deal? #1  

larboc

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300, Deere 455, Ariens GT17, Cub Cadet O, Wheelhorse 50
Been looking for a 955 for a while and then I stumbled on this 4300.

I'm looking for a sanity check here, I think it was a good deal for the package but not a lot to compare to. It was the most expensive thing I've ever bought next to my house. I paid $11.5k for it which was a lot of money for me to spend but seemed like a good deal compared to what I was seeing on tractorhouse and CL but asking and selling price is always different. It was $2500 more than I got for selling my mint legacy xl diesel w/blower so to me it seemed like a good upgrade in features for $2500 despite the couple of small things I need to fix on the 4300.

'99 4300HST 4x4 with 1500 hours on it. 27 8.50 15 fronts. Turf tires f&r. A little rough around the edges but runs and operates great. Has a couple of issues I need to address, missing the right draft link, hard lines from SCV valve to FEL QD's rusted enough that one leaks., and it needs front tires.
Tranny cooler in good shape, range selector works fine, rear PTO has never had a shaft on it, rear axle housing in good shape, no leaks (aside from the hydro line), no smoke from engine and it runs smooth, front axle bearings tight, new rear tires. Has rear aux hydro ports. Clean fluids. Has front PTO kit and loader brackets/valves.
My Estimated Value (MEV) $7500

Came with:
1) Curtis hard cab with heat and wipers. Needs some rust fixed at the bottoms of the doors and has had some repairs done in other areas. Seems like these like to rust. All the repairs are well within my resources to fix. MEV $750
2) Front mount broom model 26. Like new with extra set of new brushes. MEV $1250
3) 72" Belly mower. Like new MEV $1000
4) 59" front snowblower. Has had some hours on it but appears to be in good operational shape. MEV $2000
5) 430 Loader. Like new, still has factory stickers and bucket has most of the paint intact. MEV $2500

Adding it all up if I sold things off piece by piece I feel like I should be able to get at least $15,000.

Last edited:
   / Bought a 4300, I think I got a decent deal? #2  
That's a lot of expensive implements included. My biggest concern is tires. If you are mowing lawns,
no problem. If you need ags for max traction, or R4 industrial compromise tires, you will need
to replace the wheels, too. You may be looking at well over $1000 to replace wheels and tires.

/ Bought a 4300, I think I got a decent deal?
I think turfs are my best option for tires. I don't plan on mowing much if any with it but I will be driving across my lawn a lot with the loader. It will spend most of it's yearly hours with the snowblower though and I think turfs will work the best until it I need to put chains on. I'm thinking I'll put winterforces on the front for now and decide if I want to go with r4's down the road. Like I said the rears are virtually brand new so if I needed to I could probably sell them for something

They make R4's for the front wheel size but I may have to find wheels for the rear should I decide to go that route.

In the past I've been very happy with turfs tires on CUT's. My r4 experience is limited to cursing them out on snow with work equipment.

/ Bought a 4300, I think I got a decent deal? #4  
turfs with chains in the snow. Not a bad rice for what you got. Brother sold a 4310 this past fall for $ 5,500.00 had about 5000 hrs on it. ...loader went with it along with Curtis cab.

/ Bought a 4300, I think I got a decent deal?
turfs with chains in the snow. Not a bad rice for what you got. Brother sold a 4310 this past fall for $ 5,500.00 had about 5000 hrs on it. ...loader went with it along with Curtis cab.

Wow, that's a lot of hours but still a low price from what I've seen if it was 4wd hst and 430 loader. Any major rebuilds required? Original engine?

/ Bought a 4300, I think I got a decent deal? #6  
430 loader with HEAVY duty 6' bucket, HST, 4 wd whole nine yards. He had it for about a year. Came with snow blower he kept that. Only had it for a year.... he paid $ 3,500.00 for it. Now has a 3046R he bought used...it was two months old with 50 hrs. Got a steal on that.
I am never the lucky one........

/ Bought a 4300, I think I got a decent deal? #7  
I think you got a great deal!