Questions about 790

/ Questions about 790 #1  

harleyx142

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 790
I just bought a 790 w/loader for $14100. I added a box blade for another $350. I have several questions about implements. Are those bucket level indicators helpful? Where exactly do I have lifting hooks welded on? How much does a tooth bar cost and how easy does it install? I am having the rear wheels filled with liquid. The dealer first suggested wheel weights but after I looked through the loader and tractor specs they both say it is a requirement to fill the tires. I have slopes and hills and I may need the wheel weights also. Those weights sure are expensive. The dealer wants to sell them to me for $100 a 60 lb weight. Thanks guys!

/ Questions about 790 #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are those bucket level indicators helpful?)</font>
Yes

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Where exactly do I have lifting hooks welded on? )</font>
I like 3 hooks. One in front of each loader arm and 1 in the center of the bucket

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How much does a tooth bar cost and how easy does it install? )</font>
I have a WR Long, 60" toothbar was around $300.
Installation is easy.

/ Questions about 790
Thanks Vince for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Questions about 790
After reading some of the other threads on filling the tires with calcium chloride and the problem of not being able to remove weight if needed it has me leaning more towards wheel weights. I may look into that EZ weight mounting system. I will also have a box blade on the rear to help with FEL ballast.

/ Questions about 790 #5  
If you don't have the heavy duty bucket you may need to reinforce the top of the bucket for a center hook.
I use the center hook far more than the others.

Attachments

• 398084-bucket   1.jpg
    398084-bucket 1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 147
   / Questions about 790 #7  
It slips over and under the bucket edge and 1 bolt on each side of the bucket holds it in.

Attachments

• 398102-HPIM0094.JPG
    398102-HPIM0094.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 188
   / Questions about 790 #9  
Harley:

congrads...you got yourself a nice little tractor. Had mine for 6 mo. or so and love it...keep the question's comming there are plenty of 790 owners here to get info from.

/ Questions about 790 #10  
<font color="blue">After reading some of the other threads on filling the tires with calcium chloride </font>

You might check into a product called "Rim Guard". It's made from beet juice and is non-corrosive/non-toxic. Yes, the wheel weights are expensive.

Which loader do you have? I have the 70 and the bucket has a flat on the top that parallels the bottom. I can eyeball that flat to sense where the cutting edge is. Not sure if the 419 bucket has that flat.

Having the flat on the bucket also allowed my to use a bolt on tow hook in the center of my bucket. Easier for me as I have no welder (yet). As Vince mentioned, having multiple hooks can be even handier.

Enjoy that 790 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif