Sub Soiler

/ Sub Soiler #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
I bought a King Kutter Sub Soiler from TSC the other day. The salesman asked what HP tractor I had. I told him a 24hp Compact. I have a JD 4115. He asked if I knew anyone with a big tractor cause 24hp was not enough to pull the Sub Soiler. I told him that I would take it easy and work it down a bit at a time. Well I tried it out as soon as I got home, and the 4115 pulled it without any trouble. I buried it as far as it would go and still had no trouble. I have very rocky clay soil and it can get a bit gooey. If it were not for the chains on the rear, I would have just spun. Anyway, If anyone is thinking of a Sub Soiler for a small compact, don't let the salesman talk you out of it.

dj1701 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sub Soiler #2  
I agree I have one on my TC24D. I was able to bury all the way down in fairly wet dirt and my little NH kept right on pulling it - but I did use 4wd and the diff lock. I did that back in February. It takes a little bit of adjusting to get the sub soiler adjusted so that it will dig to its fullest potential. The main reason I wanted one was so that I would run an electric wire to my 2 outbuildings/sheds. I figure I should be able to get the wire down 14" or so.

PS It also worked great to bust up the solid layer of ice that built up on the gravel driveway.

/ Sub Soiler #3  
I bought a middle buster from TSC. I converted it to a Subsoiler. If I have the names correct. The subsoiler is just a piece of metal, maybe couple inches wide, 6 inches long?

The middle buster(potato plow) un bolts, so I fitted a piece of 3/4 steel to bolt on in its place.

My 2210 will pull the subsoiler great, but, has trouble with the middle buster unless already the sub has already been through.

/ Sub Soiler #4  
I put a middle buster behind my 4310 for the first time Saturday. I couldn't believe how well it pulled it. The three point hitch was lowered as far as it would go and the tractor didn't even breathe hard. And to think I was considering getting R1's because I didn't think the R4's would get good enough traction pulling plows and such. Then I put a 6 ft disc behind the tractor and with the gangs at their most aggresive setting I could pull in B range 4th gear without breaking a sweat. Of course on that rough field I couldn't keep the tractor straight so I had to back down to third gear. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sub Soiler #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Then I put a 6 ft disc behind the tractor and with the gangs at their most aggresive setting I good pull in B range 4th gear without breaking a sweat.)</font>

Are you using the disc to break up soil or turn soil that's already broken up? Those small discs can be found pretty cheap. If something like that would work for preparing ground for grass seed I could save some money by not buying a tiller.

/ Sub Soiler #6  
I did a little of both. I couldn't find my dad's turning plow and broke up a good deal of the field with a middle buster and then disced that up. The middle buster was taking so long, (a 2 bottom plow is on my shopping list now) that I tried just busting the ground up with the disc. That Alabama clay was so hard that it took 3 passes to get it broken up to my satisfaction. This field was planted in cotton last year and other than last years cotton stalks there was very little vegetation to deal with.

What kind of ground are you wanting to put grass seed on? Dry bare dirt or with stuff already growing on it?

/ Sub Soiler #7  
I want to use a sub soiler behind my Kubota mx5100 as a root ripper in rocky clay soil to remove tree roots, etc. for pushing the trees over to eliminate stumps. I am looking at the County Line subsoiler from my local Tractor Supply Company. Have any of you tried this, or have any advice about this approach?

/ Sub Soiler #8  
The MX tractors have a Cat 2 Three Point Hitch.

TSC's CountyLine implements have a Cat 1 Three Point Hitch. When I looked at CountyLine Subsoilers two years ago they did not have shear bolt protection.

Your MX has the potential to pretzel the CountyLine Subsoiler.

CountyLine is produced for TSC by Tarter in Kentucky. I suggest you call Tarter for their opinion on this combination.

LINK: Tarter Farm and Ranch Equipment | American Made Quality Since 1945

/ Sub Soiler #9  
The MX tractors have a Cat 2 Three Point Hitch.

TSC's CountyLine implements have a Cat 1 Three Point Hitch. When I looked at CountyLine Subsoilers two years ago they did not have shear bolt protection.

Your MX has the potential to pretzel the CountyLine Subsoiler.

CountyLine is produced for TSC by Tarter in Kentucky. I suggest you call Tarter for their opinion on this combination.

LINK: Tarter Farm and Ranch Equipment | American Made Quality Since 1945

The subsoiler sold by Agri Supply DOES have a shear bolt, and is a good quality attachment, though I doubt that it is Cat ll rated!

/ Sub Soiler #10  
So, I just tried to do this, the problem is that the ripper tooth is too close to the tractor and not close to the tree. With your larger MX tires, I'm assuming yours would be also. BTW, I have both of the rippers shown below: You would destroy the first one.

3 Point Subsoiler-Subsoiler Attachment | Agri Supply #7341?

Single Row Subsoiler 3-Point | Agri Supply 58333

The second one will stop your tractor... it doesn't have a shear bolt but it jack-knifes. Bends in the middle in theory - although, I've never had that happen... it just stops my little tractor. I bought the Fred Cain subsoiler used for $100 and honestly, it too big for my tractor.

SO, my plan is to try and build a metal frame to move the subsoiler back away from the rear of the tractor... not sure how it will turn out. Just thinking about it...