Budget 18k. Snow removal and mowing

/ Budget 18k. Snow removal and mowing #11  
Frankly, for a 350' driveway you can clear it about as fast with a big walk behind as you can with a subcompact tractor. All the maneuvering to turn around at the ends, get close to buildings, obstacles, etc. eats a lot of the time you save by clearing a bigger path for the up and down the drive part (the fastest part). The walk-behind will also do your sidewalks, which is a nice bonus.

For mowing, just about nothing beats a commercial zero-turn.

All that said, I clear my drive with a front-mount snowblower on my JD 2032R. Not because it's really the best tool for the job, but because I enjoy the tractor.

So what you have to figure out is what you really want. If all you care about are getting those two jobs done easily and economically, buy the walk-behind and the zero-turn. If you want a tractor with a loader and want to be able to put a tiller and other stuff on it, and you enjoy doing "tractor stuff," then buy that.

If you decide to go with a tractor, for 350', I'd start with a rear blade and the loader and add a snowblower in a year or two if you decide you want to be able to throw the snow. Also keep in mind that the annual service on a SCUT will be a lot more than you spend taking care of the zero turn and walk-behind, because you have to service the hydraulic system. I'd look at the 1025R and the Kubota BX-series.

/ Budget 18k. Snow removal and mowing #12  
You have a very good John Deere dealer in New Richmond, and a very good Kubota dealer in North Branch, MN (Olson Power). By what you've described, it's kind of a tossup between the high end garden tractors and the Sub-Compact Utility Tractors. I would go to both dealerships and compare the features and costs of each brand's options, and most importantly take some extended test drives. My neighbor got a Kubota GR2120 (high end garden tractor) and and it is a very robust and well designed piece of equipment. I like that it is a 3 cylinder diesel, and will last forever.

You will have to visit each dealership a couple of times because you will notice different things each time. That is actually a fun thing to do!

Last edited:
   / Budget 18k. Snow removal and mowing #14  
   / Budget 18k. Snow removal and mowing
Doing some research on it, it may have issues.

I'm leaning towards x758 60d and blower.
Second option is 1025r 60d with loader I want to get the led lights for greater visibility.

I'll be doing most of my snow cleanup in the middle of the night before heading to the city's for work.

I stopped in that jd dealership was quoted 15.5 for the x758 and 60d. 1025r was 18080 loader and 7iron 60d.

How much is yearly maintenance on the hydraulic.

/ Budget 18k. Snow removal and mowing #16  
There's very little maintenance on the X7's hydraulics. Change the filter and fluid after the first 50 hours and then every 200 hours after that. Cost is about $50 if you do it yourself which is fairly easy.

/ Budget 18k. Snow removal and mowing #17  
You be surprised how handy it is to have a loader. Have them throw in a 5' back blade and you are good to go.

/ Budget 18k. Snow removal and mowing #18  
Neighbor Has a b2400 used to do his gravel drive with it and a rear blade. He hated having to drive backwards to push the snow. he couldn't pull forward more than a couple inches due to lack of traction even with chains just not enough weight. he also hated that even with ski's redistributing the gravel into his grass

He switched to the 32" honda tracked machine. I had the opportunity to use it after a 12" snow fall this winter and holy crap does this thing move snow. My old 8hp Yardman Snowbird doesn't hold a candle to this thing. its also nice because it has instantly adjustable cutting height it can float above the grade. set level or even provide downforce for scraping concrete or asphalt. He does'nt have to worry about pushing snow banks way out into the yard or not pushing them far enough and then having them freeze anymore and be stuck unable to move them.

His drive way is a tear drop shaped turn around and is similar in set back off the road to my house 330-350' Its fast efficient
Honda HSS1332ATD Images @ Snow Blowers Direct - View Honda HSS1332ATD Pictures and Videos

If you have the room for both a Zero Turn and a nice snow blower like this or the Husky that you posted i think you'll be happier in the long run. a commercial zero turn is going to be someplace between 1.5 - 2 times faster cutting than a riding lawn mower or SCUT.

/ Budget 18k. Snow removal and mowing #19  
Doing some research on it, it may have issues.

I'm leaning towards x758 60d and blower.
Second option is 1025r 60d with loader I want to get the led lights for greater visibility.

I'll be doing most of my snow cleanup in the middle of the night before heading to the city's for work.

I stopped in that jd dealership was quoted 15.5 for the x758 and 60d. 1025r was 18080 loader and 7iron 60d.

How much is yearly maintenance on the hydraulic.

A loader with bucket in itself is not very effective for snow removal especially since its narrow and probably has about a 0.2 yard capacity heaped in this size. I expect you'd be very unhappy if your were using that for clearing snow. if you can mount and angled blade to the loader you'd be a lot happier. As i mentioned in my previous post a rear blade on a light weight tractor like this will almost definitely require you to push backwards in any kind of real snow. My buddies JD2040 2wd weighs probably 5-6000 lbs ballasted and pulls a 7 ft blade through the snow no problem.

/ Budget 18k. Snow removal and mowing
Yes I'll have a extra car stall for both and anything else we can think of.

I love the reviews on that Honda!
This was the best price I could find for it.
Honda of Fairfield

So now I'm looking at the z970r 72d to go with it. It's will be so much faster then a rider

Tomorrow I'm going back to john Deere and test driving the z970 with those new Michelin tires. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Will I notice much of a difference in the z950 and z970?