Comparison X370 vs. X390... can't decide.

/ X370 vs. X390... can't decide. #1  

scorp508

Tractor
JD x390
Hello everyone. I love the site and hope my 1st post isn't a complete waste of your time. :)

Our 1.6-acre property has somewhere between 0.5-0.75 acre of mowing area once the wooded area and home are deducted. The lawn is relatively smooth with few if any undulations worth noting as well as no major inclines. In addition to around the yard activities including maintaining some dirt foot paths in the wooded area I plan on snow blowing our driveway. The driveway is somewhere around 150' long give or take and tapers into four cars widths at the top.

I'm stuck trying to decide between a new X370 with the 2-blade 42" mower deck or a X390 with the 3-blade 48" mower deck. I arrived at these two models as power steering + hydraulic lift seemed like nice additions for the blower as well as overall easier operation for my wife.

Aside from the engine difference (FS600V vs FS651V with ~18% additional power) it appears the transaxle and tires are the only other major mechanical differences. I don't see any difference in attachment compatibility other than the power chute bagger being required on the X390. Comparing the two tranaxles on Tuff Torq's page (I can't post links due to post count) left me wondering why the K57 has a replaceable filter (which I like) yet the bigger K58 does not. JD does not list the K57 as a locking diff on the x370 page yet Tuff Torq's page states it is an automatic locking unit. Do the JD specific K57s get built to a different spec or do they only consider mechanical lock a feature?

I stopped in to chat with one of the sales people at one of my two local JD dealers and they said the X370 seemed like more than enough machine for my needs including the snow blowing. At the time I spoke with them I thought my narrowest mowing path was ~48" potentially making clearance an issue with the X390 and a bagger chute attached, but upon measuring the spot again I was way off and it is about a 64" width.

We just moved to this property and have no plan on moving for a long time. This should be the only property this mower has to work with during its lifetime. Going with the X370 would save over $1,900 (~$1,400 model difference and another ~$530 by not needing the power chute) and basically pay for the snow blower when it is time to purchase it. If you were me would you consider the added power of the X390 and the slightly less running time of a 48" deck a necessity? A "free" snow blower sounds great in my mind but like any power obsessed guy I keep second guessing myself.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

/ X370 vs. X390... can't decide. #2  
Both machines have the same width @ 38.5". If all your mowing is in the open, perhaps not a big deal, but with a 42" deck it will be tough to get up close to anything. Uncut circle diameter is 30" with 42" deck and 24" with the 48." the smallest deck I've had was 54" which provides 18" uncut circle. No experience with X3xx series so will not comment on that.

/ X370 vs. X390... can't decide.
That's a good point I had not considered. We have flower beds around the entire house and a few scattered around the yard which would be good to get right up to without dragging out the push mower. Hmm... something else to consider now. :)

I got off the pot and pulled the trigger today on a 48" X390, bagging unit, and mulch control. Delivery is next week. :)

The X390 arrived this week. I have only put it through its paces mowing the lawn once and the engine has 1.1 hours on it, but it was a dream to use for that little bit of time. The power steering is effortless though it will take getting used to having to turn the wheel so many times on real tight corners. I was a little disappointed the dealer didn't level the mowing deck or adjust the caster wheel heights prior to delivery as it was way off both side to side and front to back. Thankfully I'm the kind of machine nerd that looks for that stuff and took care of it before taking it for a spin. It gave an excellent smooth cut and the mulching blades did their job of cutting up the clippings small enough that you don't notice them in the ground. I haven't tried the power flow bagger yet. We have a big cookout coming up so I may use it to bag the clippings prior the day before.

/ X370 vs. X390... can't decide. #8  
That should be a good mower for you and yes some fine tuning of the deck is a common place. The power flow bagger may need some fitting too, so I would suggest you try it out in advance of the BBQ party.

I have the MC519 cart and power flow system and am well pleased with it.

/ X370 vs. X390... can't decide. #9  
The X390 arrived this week. I have only put it through its paces mowing the lawn once and the engine has 1.1 hours on it, but it was a dream to use for that little bit of time. The power steering is effortless though it will take getting used to having to turn the wheel so many times on real tight corners. I was a little disappointed the dealer didn't level the mowing deck or adjust the caster wheel heights prior to delivery as it was way off both side to side and front to back. Thankfully I'm the kind of machine nerd that looks for that stuff and took care of it before taking it for a spin. It gave an excellent smooth cut and the mulching blades did their job of cutting up the clippings small enough that you don't notice them in the ground. I haven't tried the power flow bagger yet. We have a big cookout coming up so I may use it to bag the clippings prior the day before.

Did you check tire psi all around BEFORE leveling the deck?
Since you're a self proclaimed machine nerd, check the rea wheel lugs toque a few times until they take a set. 65lb-ft IIRCC