Buying Advice Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #1  

iKloke

Tractor
None yet
Hello everyone,

I would like some help from the more experienced to make a decision on the correct tractor for me. This will be long but this is not a cheap investment for my family so I want to make sure that I have everything here so that I buy enough tractor but not go overboard.

I have spent a few months reading many of the forums and visiting dealerships to try and learn what I need but honestly I have been more confused as I have delved deeper. I worked on a farm growing up so I do know a few things from 25 years ago but nothing with current technology.

A bit of background as to why we are getting a cab tractor:

I died of Heat Stroke years ago and though they brought me back, I have not been right since. I have moved back to Louisiana, smart move I know being heat challenged but family tends to make us do things that are not normally on the options list. Since I have been back in Louisiana mowing and doing things here just are not working for me as the heat overwhelms me quickly. My wife has now started to have heat problems so we have decided to purchase a tractor with a cab on it.

Now the hard part is deciding what we need vs what we want and trying to avoid the regret that I have had in the past by not knowing what options I should have purchased up front. Things like after having a backup camera on my truck, I know that I will always want it on future vehicles if offered. I am hoping that you guys can help me avoid that by letting me know what you would do or what options you would get or avoid if you did it again.

We have decided that going with John Deere is the brand we want but now we need to decide which to get. We are trying to go with the cheapest route while making sure that I have enough power for anything that I need in the future.

The last thing I want to do is buy a $40 - $50k tractor that will not do everything that I need in the future. It will currently be used as a glorified lawn mower but I do intend on buying land in the future that will need to be cleared and kept.

I started with the 3 family tractor as it was the smallest tractor with a Cab and AC but the more I read, the more I wonder if I would it would be enough for projects over the years. Knowing I will not be putting a ton of hours on the tractor, I am hoping that with good maintenance it will last my lifetime.

Things I know that I will be doing over the next 10 years with it.

1. Bringing in dirt and leveling our yard.
2. Fencing and clearing our Acreage (Possibly up to 15) using a Brush Hog.
3. Mowing with a 7 ft finishing mower, this will be the current 3 acres that we sit on now and up to 5 if we do buy land and build on it and it will be a weekly thing.
4. Using a pallet fork to move a pallet of Bags of Salt, concrete or other things I bring in.
5. Planting on 1.5 acres. Just a normal garden, not for profit.
6. Using the bucket or forks to move sections of tree trunk to the road as we clear land.
7. Lord knows anything else once I get comfortable with the Tractor.

My issue is the dealership is telling me that I can get into a 5 series for around the same price as the 3 series and I am wondering which way to go. My main issue with the 5 series is that my wife will not be comfortable in it after sitting in it. She was comfortable with the smaller 3 series tractor. After discussions, with a tractor I will be doing all of the yard work anyway so it really does not matter.

Things I am looking for.

1. Suggestions on which tractor to go with to complete these task with enough PTO to not strain the tractor.

2. Suggestions on what options I might not be thinking about on the tractor that I should consider upon purchase or others that sound great but that you would avoid.

3. Suggestions on whether the Deluxe cab is worth the extra money. The dealer could not tell me the difference other than the Air Ride seat and for the amount of money, I am hoping there are other bells and whistles because I could simply buy an aftermarket Air Ride seat.

I appreciate your input and look forward to your responses and being an active member here.

Thank You,
Aaron Richard

Last edited:
   / Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #2  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

My recommendation would be to stay within the 4-series family (40hp+) with a cab option. All will have enough grunt to serve you now and into the future.

A good dealership will sell you the tractor you need, not what's on the lot.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #3  
I wouldn't want a 5 series as a lawnmower, i'd be looking at a ZTR for that & the 4 series should have you covered on the future prospects of 15 acres.
I have a 5 series, won't go in the yard with it unless it is dry, it only takes a second to make a bumpity bump with the bigger tractor., then your hauling dirt to smooth that out.
The 5 series has been great on our 35 acres, i've had two smaller & one bigger, the 5 is just a sweet spot for me.

Ronnie

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need.
Ok that sounds good, I will look at the largest 4 series and go from there. The dealer suggested T4 tires for my application as well which I agree with unless someone explains why it's a bad idea of course.

Now that a 4 seems like the way to go. Are there any options I should pick up or any that I should stay away from and is the center mower a good investment or just flashy to get you to buy?

I am used to a rear mower but if the center is actually reliable, the easy on and easy off sound good.

Is HST or a shuttle better / more reliable and do you have any opinions either way?

I apologize for all of the questions. I am sure I will have more once I go look at them again.

On a side note, I own a ZTR and passed out on it from heat a month ago. So the only option is a cab with AC now so the tractor will be a mower as well.

Last edited:
I apologize for the third response. After reading the reviews on two sites for the 4 family tractors, including the JD site itself. I am very wary of the 4 series.

Most of the responses say it is not powerful enough, has had problems and is not good for the money they are asking. The three series gets rave reviews though, the 3046R I believe it was.

I do not think the 3 series will meet my needs in the future but the 4 series seems very risky.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #7  
I think the only thing you will have issues with, based on your needs, with the 3-series......is lifting the pallets.

I dont know how heavy the pallets of salt and concrete you plan to lift are.....but a typical full skid of whatever (retaining wall blocks, concrete, salt, sand, etc) is probably in the 3500# range.

I "thing" the larger 4 series would handle that on some QA forks and NOT clamp on forks......but I dont think the 3-series will even come close.

Everything else you describe, should have no issues with a 3-series

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #8  
Ok that sounds good, I will look at the largest 4 series and go from there. The dealer suggested T4 tires for my application as well which I agree with unless someone explains why it's a bad idea of course.

Now that a 4 seems like the way to go. Are there any options I should pick up or any that I should stay away from and is the center mower a good investment or just flashy to get you to buy?

I am used to a rear mower but if the center is actually reliable, the easy on and easy off sound good.

Is HST or a shuttle better / more reliable and do you have any opinions either way?

I apologize for all of the questions. I am sure I will have more once I go look at them again.

FWIW, the 3xxx and 4xxx series cab tractors are hst only. I would not expect either to lift full pallets of concrete or pavers, too much weight for these fels to handle. A half or 2/3 pallet is reasonable for the 4xxx. If you need to lift full pallets a larger 5xxx M is required.

I have a 4520 cab 2009 and have been very satisfied with it. Don't really know for a fact about the newer 4066R or other tier 4 models though.

Curious about your location? Are you in Lake Charles or La Comb? Hope the flooding subsides soon and best wishes with the recovery.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #9  
I realize you have been focusing on the JD models, but the Kubota models in a simular size to the JD 4xxx series have been quite solid in their performance. My friend has an L4310hst with cab, it's about the size I would envision you in, and been very reliable. It's about 16 years old, he has about $15k in it, bought used about 7 years ago. About 1500 hours on it... handles pallets and logs for his saw mill easily, over 2k lbs.

Can save alot of money going used, and there's no emissions issues.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #10  
In my experience only, any one machine for all you ask of it is going to be a "compromise tractor". No tractor will do it all well, so prioritize. If you have the typical yard and house, ie. not a shrub, tree free yard with a square or rectangular house footprint. Unless you Roundup the heck out of your yard, with a 3,4 or 5 Series you are going to have places it simply won't go. We don't have anything in our yard and thanks to several thousand dollars spent on Pavestones our house no longer has nooks and crannies to mow; much easier to mow. We were lucky enough to start with a blank slate and designed our property with ease of maintenance in mind; could be done with 3 or 4 Series, but still not ideal.

You will just have to prioritize uses and get the one best suited for those tasks then get by with the others.

I can certainly identify with your situation, we have about ten tractors, but I can now only operate those with cabs. Our kids and grand kids now mow our yards with a BX2660, but if absolutely necessary I could do it with my 5740, but sure hope it never comes to that.

One of our neighbors has a 3520 with MMM and still needs a zero turn, another has a Kubota L3540 with MMM and still had to buy a zero turn.

Suggestion: Get every comfort feature available in your cab tractor, as you age you will be glad you did. Consider any short term or one time jobs and consider renting the right equipment, it's saved us a lot of money and fuel and allowed us to get by quite well with what we have.

I know I've not helped a lot on specifics, but that's because I can see no one tractor solution.