JD not dealing anymore?

/ JD not dealing anymore? #1  

buckshot721

Silver Member
Tractor
All John Deere 425 x485 2305 4x2 Gator L130
Went down to the JD dealership the other day, pricing out a zero turn, (x485 trade in). After talking with the salesman for an hour came up with a price of $9000. and some pennies out the door. Asked if there was any wiggle room on the price and he told me nope, this is what they sell for. This is what you pay. Ok fine told him about the trade in stated he would come over and look at it. This is my 485, 3 point, rear pto, 5 weights on the front and loaded tires. About 400 hrs on the clock and a 54 deck on it. Purchased it new, and well taken care of. The guy stops in and looks at it, $1500.00 IF I throw in my tiller I have! I know they need to make money but come on. Went to the Kubota dealer found almost the same type of machine for $7000. Never told them what happened with JD, the red dealer said if its anything like I told them my trade would be around 3's. (w/o tiller) And after reading some posts about JD not repairing things under warranty kinda makes me rethink another JD purchase. Might be changing from all green to orange, we shall see!

Last edited:
   / JD not dealing anymore? #2  
Buy low sell high...

I hear of folks doing well with trades but I don't know any.

Just last week I told a coworker that was buying a new SUV I would buy their old one... excellent shape.

I shot them a figure and they said it is mine if the dealer offers less...

Well the Dealer offered less but their nephew said he wanted it... so he got it for my price... already got a ticket and hit a fence... it is still in my co-worker's name... oh well.

JD stays in business by selling product and I still get the feeling their focus really isn't on our market segment.

/ JD not dealing anymore? #3  
The local JD dealer also owns other dealerships in the surrounding area and they ALL seem to insist on selling at msrp, minus any JD rebates. Kubota and Kioti dealerships all discount off msrp so around here while pricing on websites JD is competitive they are not in the real world.

/ JD not dealing anymore? #4  
I grew up around the car business starting by washing all the cars on Saturdays at age 12...

Every car was tagged with price... new and used and NO ONE... well almost no one ever came in and paid the sticker...

I say almost no one because a group of nuns came in to buy a van... they wanted to know how much to write the check for... they never asked for a reduction... the owner simply offered a concession and extended service when he learned they were in buying...

Actually got quite a few from local parishes coming in... priests mostly had a car... nuns shared a convent car.

In many ways it would help the buying process if prices were posted... it does help for those on line to build and price... but walking in and seeing prices helps.

One year only Kubota was at the Alameda County Fair... they had a nice BX display with attractive Fair pricing... I later asked and they sold several... very good turf equipment dealer that took on Kubota for a short time and then the line was dropped.

They were greared towards municipalities, school districts and the golf industry.

/ JD not dealing anymore? #5  
I think this is more a dealer thing than Deere itself. Before I purchased my first tractor I took a day off to hit every dealer in a reasonable driving distance.
I hit Kubota,NH,,Massey, Kioti,CubCadet and lastly Deere. All the dealers seemed extremely interested in the business and were willing to deal. All except the Deere dealer. I was of course most interested in the Deere at this point and talked plainly to the salesman. I asked him why should I purchase the deere over the others?
He told me he had no idea and walked back into his office.

After I got over the shock of the arrogance I decided to check out a Deere dealer a little further away(30 miles). The experience couldn't have been better and the tractor was delivered within 3 hrs of my visit. To this day 10 years and 2 tractors later, the salesmen still know who I am and what I own. The mom & pop dealerships are a dying breed and worth giving the business too when ever possible.

Matt

/ JD not dealing anymore? #6  
I think this is more a dealer thing than Deere itself. Before I purchased my first tractor I took a day off to hit every dealer in a reasonable driving distance.
I hit Kubota,NH,,Massey, Kioti,CubCadet and lastly Deere. All the dealers seemed extremely interested in the business and were willing to deal. All except the Deere dealer. I was of course most interested in the Deere at this point and talked plainly to the salesman. I asked him why should I purchase the deere over the others?
He told me he had no idea and walked back into his office.

After I got over the shock of the arrogance I decided to check out a Deere dealer a little further away(30 miles). The experience couldn't have been better and the tractor was delivered within 3 hrs of my visit. To this day 10 years and 2 tractors later, the salesmen still know who I am and what I own. The mom & pop dealerships are a dying breed and worth giving the business too when ever possible.

Matt

Completely agree... it's your local dealership, not JD corporate. My own 'local' JD dealership have always treated me fair (price & support) and I can walk onto the lot today and be greeted by name. A dealership's reputation goes a long way around here and is guarded jealously.

/ JD not dealing anymore? #7  
Great JD dealer here for me & they're part of a multi area dealership. The owner still remembers me buying my 1st lawn tractor from him in 95.
The service & parts dept. have been great, they'll walk me through a repair that i can manage myself & thankfully, i haven't had any major issues with none of my equipment.
I made my offer on all equipment, accepted.

Ronnie

/ JD not dealing anymore? #8  
My example.
Looking to buy tractor about a year ago.
1ST up, case new holland, talked about which tractor, said they'd call me with a price. Never heard from them.
2nd up, Kubota, Dealer was more familiar with lawn/garden stuff, not the 30-50hp stuff. Was painful to deal with. Didn't have a clue on attachments, buckets, grapples. Came up with a price after 1/2 hr digging in books.
3rd Up JD, was very nice, gave me round numbers off the top of his head, ended up showing me a couple of used tractors with 1000 or less hrs for a big savings over new.

I ended up buying used from a private seller.
I hate dealing with dealers.

/ JD not dealing anymore? #9  
Yes I purchased my X310 from a smaller dealership in MD after getting the cold shoulder at the local multi location, JD dealer.

/ JD not dealing anymore? #10  
One thing for sure, we'll hear more about bad service than good service & this day & time, it's ashame.

I manage a flyshop, i'll treat you the same whether you're buying a one dollar pack of material or a 900 hundred dollar fly rod, trust me, i'll sale more one dollar items than nine hundred dollar items.
Oh, you bought a reel online, yes it hurt's to hear that, i'll put the backing & line of your choice on it, if you had bought the reel from us, wouldn't charge for the backing.
I'm all for supporting the folks that support us, if we can't get the service/support we need from one dealer, by all means find one that can give you what you want.
Ronnie