Tractor Sizing Anyone have experience with a JD 2038R?

/ Anyone have experience with a JD 2038R? #1  

SI2305

Gold Member
Hello all,

I am seriously considering upgrading my beloved 2305 with a larger tractor and I just watched a youtube video on the new JD2038R. I had previously been leaning towards a 3039R but was put off by the price. I know that they are not 1 to 1 comparable machines, but the 2038 looked awfully impressive. Improved ergonomics, better loader attach/removal, 30 pto HP and improved MMM mower deck are just a few of the improvements. I almost feel like the 2038r is a direct comparrison to the lowest 3 series tractor. Main reason I am considering upgrading is that my 2305, useful as it is, takes hours to mow my rough acreage. My wife would like me to mow it more often (though I kinda like tall grass, but that is another issue) and the ground is VERY rough, mostly from my dog and other creatures hunting vermin in the soil and my back is beginning to pay the price. I am hoping that the larger tire size and the better, more stable wheel base will help to mitigate those rough spots better than my current tractor and generally mow the tall grass much faster than present. Also, I want to be able to swing a 6' rotary cutter as opposed to the current LX4 and be able to operate a MMM. presently I am using a rear mount finish mower. I would also likely add a rear grader blade for snow removal (or maybe a loader mounted snow blade), a flail mower (either woodmaxx or befco--I have a 4' Befco flail mower now and it is AWSOME), and finally, perhaps a boxblade and a wood chipper and maybe even a grapple. Those last two will likely be some time down the road). Just for comparison purposes, I now finish mow about 3/4 acre and rough mow about 5-6 acres. Finally, it would be nice to get a tractor toget into my woods to clear fallen trees.

So ultimately, my question is does anyone have any experience with this new tractor (2038r) and especially, has anyone made the upgrade from one of the subcompacts. I have raved about my 2305, but I sorta feel like I have outgrown it.

Thanks in advance,

SI 2305

Last edited:
   / Anyone have experience with a JD 2038R? #2  
I don't even think they are in any ones hands yet? They don't even have brochures up yet.

They are a nice looking tractor but I have a feeling they will be priced way above their competition for all the extra "bling."

/ Anyone have experience with a JD 2038R? #3  
I don't think that they are out yet.

To get a better ride, fill your tires and get a suspension seat. Both must haves IMO. :thumbsup:

/ Anyone have experience with a JD 2038R?
MtnViewRanch,

I hear you about the seat. I actually replaced my previous seat with a newer one with armrests! Armrests are the greatest!. I also have considered the filled tires, but that unfortunately does not address the lack of HP, nor the rear cutter that would make this job actually go faster. I have considered a 3E series, but I have already decided that my next tractor will have a MMM as opposed to the RFM I have now. The RFM mows great, but is difficult to move around objects. Admittedly it was nice for backing under bushes and other low hanging objects, but the ease with which Deere MMM's come on and off looks irresistible. I did go to my Deere dealer yesterday and price one out. They look like they will be nice tractors with HP in the range of the mid to upper 3R series, and with features of the 1 series. The price puts it in competition with a 3039r which means I might pony up the extra money and go that route. Still, it appeared on paper to be a nice tractor and I would not want to rule it out. I know this is early in the cycle, but I was hoping that someone out there would have had the opportunity to see one/use one up close. They are supposes to have a larger frame than the current 2 series to enhance stability and this might sway me.

Overall, I know that this is early, but if anyone DOES get the chance to play with one or even see one up close and personal, I would really like to hear about how it went, especially if this gets any comparison the the 3039r.

Thanks in advance,

SI2305

/ Anyone have experience with a JD 2038R? #5  
You may want to consider a separate machine, like a zero turn, for your finish mowing.
That frees your tractor choices to what suits you best for your heavier, rough work.

/ Anyone have experience with a JD 2038R? #6  
MtnViewRanch,

I hear you about the seat. I actually replaced my previous seat with a newer one with armrests! Armrests are the greatest!. I also have considered the filled tires, but that unfortunately does not address the lack of HP, nor the rear cutter that would make this job actually go faster. I have considered a 3E series, but I have already decided that my next tractor will have a MMM as opposed to the RFM I have now. The RFM mows great, but is difficult to move around objects. Admittedly it was nice for backing under bushes and other low hanging objects, but the ease with which Deere MMM's come on and off looks irresistible. I did go to my Deere dealer yesterday and price one out. They look like they will be nice tractors with HP in the range of the mid to upper 3R series, and with features of the 1 series. The price puts it in competition with a 3039r which means I might pony up the extra money and go that route. Still, it appeared on paper to be a nice tractor and I would not want to rule it out. I know this is early in the cycle, but I was hoping that someone out there would have had the opportunity to see one/use one up close. They are supposes to have a larger frame than the current 2 series to enhance stability and this might sway me.

Overall, I know that this is early, but if anyone DOES get the chance to play with one or even see one up close and personal, I would really like to hear about how it went, especially if this gets any comparison the the 3039r.

Thanks in advance,

SI2305

It does not address HP issues, it will address ride issues. A big improvement IMO. :thumbsup:

/ Anyone have experience with a JD 2038R?
Texas42, MtnViewRanch,

You both have fair points. If money were no issue, I would go and get a Grasshopper diesel powered front deck zero turn mower for the lawn. Those are pretty pricey by themselves, so even if I step back to a quality ZTR, I would still be out a fair amount of money and need to do something about the tall grass in the field. Although I am sure a ZTR would make the best lawn mower, I think I can really only afford 1 machine so it will have to do double duty as a lawn and field mower. Mt View, You are right in that moving up like this will significantly help the ride part, and the extra HP will mean a faster rough cut and that means my back takes the abuse over a shorter period.

SI2305

/ Anyone have experience with a JD 2038R? #8  
how about a larger 2wd tractor just for use with larger rear attachments and keep your 2305. would be cheaper than a new tractor, but it would mean two pieces of equipment.