3R vs 4R

/ 3R vs 4R #1  

jmarx82

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1532
I currently have a Massey Ferguson 1532. It meets my needs fairly well and has been a very good tractor, I just want more capacity though. I happened to stop in the Deere dealer to pick up some parts and started looking at the 3R series. Well that got me thinking and I was dead set on a 3 series until the dealer just called the other day and said he got a 4044R in with 400hrs, like new condition. Price for the 4044R is 2k more than a new 3039R. If i go up the 4R, I am going to have to upgrade some of my implements too, so that's going to cost some. The main purpose for the tractor is mowing and dragging logs out of the woods. My trails in the woods are tight and would have to be widened and I would have to do more mowing with my walk behind if I went with the 4R too. Is it worth the upgrade to the 4R or should I just stay with the 3R? I also need some opinions on how much maneuverability will be lost going to the 4R? Thanks.

/ 3R vs 4R #2  
I currently have a Massey Ferguson 1532. It meets my needs fairly well and has been a very good tractor, I just want more capacity though. I happened to stop in the Deere dealer to pick up some parts and started looking at the 3R series. Well that got me thinking and I was dead set on a 3 series until the dealer just called the other day and said he got a 4044R in with 400hrs, like new condition. Price for the 4044R is 2k more than a new 3039R. If i go up the 4R, I am going to have to upgrade some of my implements too, so that's going to cost some. The main purpose for the tractor is mowing and dragging logs out of the woods. My trails in the woods are tight and would have to be widened and I would have to do more mowing with my walk behind if I went with the 4R too. Is it worth the upgrade to the 4R or should I just stay with the 3R? I also need some opinions on how much maneuverability will be lost going to the 4R? Thanks.

If you get a 3 series with a MMM it seems like you have already answered your own questions so long as the 3 series will do what your asking it to do.

The 4R is a bigger and heavier machine, it will give you more power but be less maneuverable in tight spaces. I will let those with more experience talk though.

/ 3R vs 4R #3  
I would think the 4R would be on the big side for mowing.

/ 3R vs 4R #4  
Offer the dealer 4,000 more for the R and a D170. And always remember the D170 is a Lawn Mower with a 54 inch deck not a small tractor to pull or tow implements with. The larger R series and a dedicated lawn mower will give you expanded chore flexibility.

Last edited:
   / 3R vs 4R #5  
I may have mentioned this before...I went from a 3320 to a 4066R.....HUGE deficit in manoeuvrability. Do not under estimate that last sentence. Go to your friendly Deere dealer and ask to take a spin in a 3 and 4 series tractor. Drive in their parking lot amongst the other tractors/implements. Treat it like an obstacle course and my point will be proven. Don't get me wrong..if you need a 4 series then buy one.
For me now, a 4 series is overkill.

Good luck in your purchase.

/ 3R vs 4R
If you get a 3 series with a MMM it seems like you have already answered your own questions so long as the 3 series will do what your asking it to do.

The 4R is a bigger and heavier machine, it will give you more power but be less maneuverable in tight spaces. I will let those with more experience talk though.

I owned a kubota with a MMM. It was my first tractor. I did not care for the MMM. I currently have a woods 72" RMM. I like mowing with that much better.

/ 3R vs 4R
Offer the dealer 4,000 for the R and a D170. And always remember the D170 is a Lawn Mower with a 54 inch deck not a small tractor to pull or tow implements with. The larger R series and a dedicated lawn mower will give you expanded chore flexibility.

I have thought about that too, but I am mowing about 3 acres of grass. My dad has a 61" zero turn which I have tried out. I personally did not care to mow with it except around the tight stuff. When I got into the big section, it seemed like it took forever. Thanks for the replys.

/ 3R vs 4R #8  
When I originally looked for a tractor (IIRC) I looked at the Massey 15xx and the JD3x20 series and at the time thought they were fairly similar in size and capabilities. When you say you want "more capacity" what capabilities are you considering? Are you sure the cost of moving to a 3R can be justified for whatever gain you may make? My 3320 has done everything I've asked so far, but the one area where I would have like more capacity from time to time is loader lift.

I have no complaints with the MMM except the older I get the more of a PITA it is to install / remove. This year I never did install and just used the X739 instead.

I have Turf Tires and have experienced some soil compaction. Although not particularly noticeable to the eye there are definite small ruts. Since I tend to mow in four alternating directions (up/down, left/right, right diagonal, left diagonal) the ride, whether with the 3320 or the x739 is noticeably a bit bumpy. I'd think a 4R series, unless the tires (Turf or otherwise) distribute the additional weight better, would be more prone to cause compaction / rutting.

If you think the extra HP of the 3R will make dragging logs easier, try to get some feedback from folks regarding "ground engaging" There are some out there who feel the 3 series will lose traction before running out of HP. You didn't mention PTO work, where the extra power should be usable.

/ 3R vs 4R #9  
I'm looking to upgrade my Kubota L3200. The Kubota L3560 is noticeably bigger than my L3200 or a 3r, but is smaller than a 4r. I'm not looking to go much bigger because of the maneuverability & hauling issues.

The Kubota L3560, possibly L4x60 is as big as I want to go & the JD 4r is just to big for me. My only problem with the 3r is its $8k more than the Kubota & $18k more than a LS. It's a nice package, but just to hard on the wallet for less of a machine.

/ 3R vs 4R
Ok, my dad through in another piece to the puzzle here. If I buy the 4r, he's going to get rid of his raking tractor and let me have any money I get from that sale, towards the new tractor. If this is the case, I can buy the 4r cash and if it's that bad for mowing, I will pick up a dedicated mowing machine in the spring. So it's looking like the 4r is in the future. One question, does anybody know the approx width on one of these with ag tires?