Question about a JD 2355?

/ Question about a JD 2355? #1  

Woody65

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST 4wd
Ey guys, I think I know the answer to this but would like confirmation from those of you with much more experience than I. I have a JD2355 near me that me local town is auctioning off. It has only 1400 hrs and looks in good condition. The rear has no PTO or a 3pt. Can this be outfitted with one is my question? I don't believe it can without a major overhaul and removal of the entire rear and transmission. But I will wait to see what others with much more experience say. I already have a JD 4300 with FEL and 3pt so it is not a must have but would be nice to have a backup. I don't want to waste mine or the towns time in making an appointment to inspect the machine if it's not a worthwhile purchase. I am looking for a sickle bar mower to take care of some pond banks and under some low hanging trees, which this machine has. And it's currently priced below the price for a new sickle bar mower. Here are some pics of the machine. Let me know what ya think. Thanks.

image-1573055306.jpg

image-2214776764.jpg

image-1626213732.jpg

image-2895203315.jpg

image-3372726645.jpg

/ Question about a JD 2355? #2  
The rockshaft and three point hitch is a simple bolt on from just about any utility tractor.
Check the free parts book on the JD web site for what pto components exist. Is there a hydraulic reverser on the tractor?
The mower is hydraulically driven?
Where is the oil returned into the tractor after if flows through the loads supplied from the jerry rigged valves on the starboard side.

/ Question about a JD 2355? #3  
Tractors that do not have pto's and three points are typically priced very very low because that is all they are worth. You could probably swing a 3 point arrangement for relatively cheap but to do a pto you will be better served to find a tractor that already has it. If you decide to get it just as a mower tractor also keep in mind that it may be just as difficult to sell later on as many purchasers will want the same features that you are looking for. Good luck

/ Question about a JD 2355?
The rockshaft and three point hitch is a simple bolt on from just about any utility tractor. Check the free parts book on the JD web site for what pto components exist. Is there a hydraulic reverser on the tractor? The mower is hydraulically driven? Where is the oil returned into the tractor after if flows through the loads supplied from the jerry rigged valves on the starboard side.

Thanks for the response.

I believe the mower is hydraulic driven. The rest I don't know until I see the tractor in person.

It seems from the responses that a 3 pt would not be difficult to install but a PTO would be. Now I will have to decide if the machine is worth it or pass and just purchase a sickle mower.

Tractors that do not have pto's and three points are typically priced very very low because that is all they are worth. You could probably swing a 3 point arrangement for relatively cheap but to do a pto you will be better served to find a tractor that already has it. If you decide to get it just as a mower tractor also keep in mind that it may be just as difficult to sell later on as many purchasers will want the same features that you are looking for. Good luck

Thanks for the response. It is very helpful. See above.

/ Question about a JD 2355? #6  
The parts book lists different quill kits for with and without pto which appear to be replacements for the flat back pto shaft cover??? The TSS transmission has kits for with and without quill's too.

PTO BEARING QUILL CONVERSION-KIT (SYNCHRONIZED TRANSMISSION)
Cart key PART NO. PART NAME QTY SERIAL NO. 2355 2555 REMARKS
1 AL67443 Bearing Cap 1 X X (A) (B)
AL67441 Bearing Cap 1 X X (C)
AL67442 Bearing Cap 1 X X (D)
2 AL69907 Dipstick 1 X X (SUB FOR AL66767)
3 L62529 Bushing 1 X X
4 L60548 Gasket 1 X X
5 L64380 O-Ring 2 X X (FOR AL66767)
L64884 O-Ring 2 X X 5 X 1.5MM, (FOR AL69907)
(A) WITH INDEPENDENT PTO 540RPM

(B) FOR GP-TRACTORS WITH CONTINUOUS RUNNING PTO

(C) WITH INTERCHANGEABLE PTO

(D) WITH INDEPENDENT HEAVY DUTY PTO

And............................................................................................................................................

PTO BEARING QUILL CONVERSION-KIT (SYNCHRONIZED TRANSMISSION) FOR GP-TRACTORS WITHOUT PTO
Cart key PART NO. PART NAME QTY SERIAL NO. 2355 2555 REMARKS
1 AL67439 Kit 1 X X
2 AL69907 Dipstick 1 X X (SUB FOR AL66767)
3 L62529 Bushing 1 X X
4 L60548 Gasket 1 X X
5 51M4230 Sealing Ring 1 X X
6 19H2488 Cap Screw 1 X X 5/16" X 5/8"
7 L64380 O-Ring 2 X X (FOR AL66767)
L64884 O-Ring 2 X X 5 X 1.5MM, (FOR AL69907)

Buickanddeere, Thanks for all the info. It's something I could probably accomplish but might not be worth the effort.

/ Question about a JD 2355? #8  
There is an inspection cover for the clutch that takes 5 seconds to remove. ay as well check if there is a two stage clutch in there? I'll bet a beer there are pto shafts in there as there is no "pto delete" mentioned around the transmission hydraulic pump that also the live pto drive.
May just need the rear quill and the transmission top cover with the hydraulic engagement ???