Whats the differences between 3R and 3E?

/ Whats the differences between 3R and 3E? #1  

Musdalen

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 8N
I'm looking for a new JD 3 series tractor (or a Kubota L). I have seen a 3039R but I noticed there is also a 3038E listed on their website. The 3R seems to be a little more than $4k more expensive than the comparable 3E.

What is the difference between the 3e Series and the 3R series in terms of performance?

/ Whats the differences between 3R and 3E? #2  
Deere "e" models are economy tractors, with fewer features (and a lighter-duty build in the case of the 3 series models). The "R" models are deluxe tractors with more features.

/ Whats the differences between 3R and 3E? #3  
Have you considered a Kioti?

/ Whats the differences between 3R and 3E?
Have you considered a Kioti?

No. I haven't even heard of them or know of a dealer nearby. I'm not opposed to learning but I lean towards what is available locally.

/ Whats the differences between 3R and 3E? #5  
There are Kioti dealers in Kensett, IA and North Hampton, IA. I realize that's not next door, but by visiting more dealers and trying out more tractors, you will learn a lot, and ultimately make a better decision.

/ Whats the differences between 3R and 3E? #7  
The E Tractors are designated for ECONOMY or no frills. I have a 3032E and it does everything I need, the 3038E is the same tractor just turbocharged. Shop around, there are deals out there. I bought my 3032E in January 2014 for $19k delivered. That was tractor, loader,brush hog and rear blade.

I was all set for an E. I tried to convince the dealer that I needed an R and he pretty much talked me out of it. Then I told the wife and she had a good point that if I ditched the lawn tractor, the R could take it's place with a belly mower. And at that point the quick detach mower and loader that is unique to the R overtakes the E. So, now I'm back at looking at the Rs. There is one on the lot ready to go too. I've got 4 weeks tops to figure this out, but I think it's really time to just bear down and get it done. I'd like to have this wrapped up by the end of next week. I could put the thing to work this weekend.

/ Whats the differences between 3R and 3E? #9  
I prefer to mow with my Zero Turn. It's quicker than the tractor will be and not tear up the yard near as bad. With the money you will save buying the E will more than cover a nice Zero Turn. That's what I did anyway and I'm happy with my decision. There are areas under trees that my tractor would not work. One other thing, you should be able to get 5 year 0% financing on your tractor. I have 2 years left and it will be all mine.

kcflhrc,
right you are about the $ trade off. However, there are other issues that add to the R's side of the equation. Quick Tach loader is one of them. Not having to store or service the lawn tractor is another. These may not make up for all the dollar difference, but thrown together, these sorts of things matter to me. So, I'm leaning Rwards now. But whipsawing back and forth between two choices is not my style. I've got to finalize this and put it behind me. I will drive an R and see how it handles relative to the type of mowing that I will have to do.