Help! Looking for tractor.

/ Help! Looking for tractor. #1  

DerekA09

Tractor
1959 John Deere 730
Hey all. I'm looking for the smallest tractor I could get away with moving a round bale. I acquired a 1980s John Deere 660 PTO tiller (Seen less than 5 acres use in its lifetime) that would be the horsepower requirements. (Just FYI the tiller would not be breaking any ground and would go to til a spot that is in a garden every year. ) I know these newer tractors have much better hydraulics than an older unit. I'm looking small as possible for maneuverability. Thanks in advance!

/ Help! Looking for tractor. #2  
You can move round bales with a bale spear on the Three Point Hitch, or a SSQA bale spear mounted on the FEL in lieu of a bucket.

You cannot lift round bales more than a few inches using a bale spear on the Three Point Hitch, but you can transport bales using a relatively small tractor.

Lifting round bales on the FEL, high enough to stack bales or load trailers, requires are 65% to 80% heavier tractor to provide stability. Damp round bales can weigh 2,000 pounds.

Contemporary tractors have relatively powerful hydraulics but requirement for tractor weight, to decrease likelihood of tractor rolling over when lifting with the FEL, have not changed.

If you have not operated a tractor before you will be surprised how dangerously unstable tractors are transporting heavy FEL loads over rough ground.

What do you need to do?

A new tractor capable of lifting/transporting one ton round bales on the FEL will cost around $25,000.

Roto-Tillers do not require much PTO horsepower, nor tractor weight, to operate.

SSQA = Skid Steer Quck Attach, a universal standard.

Last edited:
   / Help! Looking for tractor.
I'm just wanting to move bales out to put in a bale ring to feed. I wouldn't be stacking or hauling them anywhere. I'm wanting something around 15 years old at the most to 5 years old at the newest. I found a Deere 4040 with FEL for under $20,000 I would go that route before I would ever buy a smaller tractor just so I could get something newer and be under powered to the point of being dangerous. I'm opting out of a FEL so I could afford to get something newer.

/ Help! Looking for tractor. #4  
Here are MOVING ROUND BALE threads from the TBN archive: Google

If you add a city to your TBN profile, someone near you in Illinois may contact you through TBN with a lead on a good used tractor meeting your requirement. This happens regularly.

Thanks!

20170108_132250_1483937849698.jpeg
She still earns her oats some days. Haha.

/ Help! Looking for tractor. #7  
She still earns her oats some days. Haha.

And a little dog chow too? Or does Purina sell oats? :D. Beautiful tractor !!! Very nice.

And a little dog chow too? Or does Purina sell oats? :D

It's Accuration starter feed for the heifers. lol BUT I do have a picture of that barn being built with Oats in the field behind it.

/ Help! Looking for tractor. #9  
It's Accuration starter feed for the heifers. lol BUT I do have a picture of that barn being built with Oats in the field behind it.

Cool ! What year was it built ?

Cool ! What year was it built ?

received_10154121418473894.jpeg received_10154121418853894.jpeg received_10154121409328894.jpeg received_10154121419053894.jpeg received_10154121408873894.jpeg

1948. The old barn burned so they had to build a new one. They had mules back then and a Case SC. My 730 wasn't even produced for another 10 years.