A newer 2038r thread

/ A newer 2038r thread #1  

Suilenroc

Tractor
Nada YET!
Hello all! I posted recently in the new members section and in the yanmar section... Originally I intended to purchase a yanmar 424. After test driving it and its bigger brother the YT235 I am switching gears! Visited my somewhat local JD dealer and started to drool.

My property is mostly wooded, over 15 acres of hardwoods and pine. We have several acres of yard, we are not picky, close to a mile of trails throughout the property and lastly a 1000ft uphill driveway. Beautiful spread :)

I bet you all can guess my tasks... my objective in this purchase is to fulfill my property management tasks, have fun and to stay young! Lots of exterior projects on the house too. All of these things are my hobby if you want to call it that!

Anyway, I started this thread to hear ideas on different implements I am looking at. This is a financing purchase. I'm hoping to snatch most of what I'll like having. 270b backhoe, FEL 61" bucket, 6ft standard rotary cutter, 72"MMM, 5' landplane, 6' backblade, loaded rears, spacers for the back tires...

I'm open to any and all ideas! And please shoot me comments and questions on the 2038r... I debated a lot about 2 series vs 3... I love the size of the new larger 2s!!! Thanks

/ A newer 2038r thread #2  
I haven't seen the new 2-series in person yet, but they really look nice on paper/website. Last time I stopped by my local Deere dealer, they still hadn't gotten any in stock.

/ A newer 2038r thread
I haven't seen the new 2-series in person yet, but they really look nice on paper/website. Last time I stopped by my local Deere dealer, they still hadn't gotten any in stock.

This dealer does! It seemed like a no brainer to go for the 38 over the 32. I believe that little jump will allow me to borrow many more of my neighbors and friends implements!

/ A newer 2038r thread #4  
While I am not familiar with the new 2 series or 3 series and my property is different, I believe I had a similar decision to make a few years ago. Here are a few of the considerations that pushed me into the 3xxx series.

FEL lift. I wanted to be able to lift a cu yd of dirt. The 2 series could not do that and subsequently even with the 3 series, I have wished for more lift power. I wanted approx 8' lift height. 2 series did not do that.

Back Hoe. The 2 series BH did not dig deep enough and as a function of depth had less reach requiring the tractor to be moved more often. Obviously the 3 series BH also has more actual digging power. I have found that digging out stumps that look relatively small are a chore even for the 3 series BH.

While more HP will run PTO implements with a lighter tractor, it may be difficult to put the HP to the ground without wheel spin.

Transmission. I did not see if the 2 series is a 2 range or 3 range. Past users of 2 range HST tended to complain Low was too slow and High was not powerful enough for certain tasks. In Ohio, I suspect you will also have snow clearing duties. For work in the woods, you may want to consider something better than a plain ROPS for head protection from falling limbs.

It's easy to spend other peoples money, but my suggestion is to carefully detail your specific requirements, now and future anticipated & compare to each series capabilities in order to ensure best possible chance of making the right decision. Based on your information provided, I suspect, in the long run you might be happier with a 3 series or maybe even a 4 series.

/ A newer 2038r thread #5  
I'd love to have a 2038R, I do mostly PTO work, but Mrs.tiller wants a new car also. We can't get both so it's neither for now. I keep telling her when the factory puts an integrated cab on the 2038R we may have to discuss it a little more. I've noticed she rolls her eyes when we talk about tractors.

/ A newer 2038r thread
While I am not familiar with the new 2 series or 3 series and my property is different, I believe I had a similar decision to make a few years ago. Here are a few of the considerations that pushed me into the 3xxx series.

FEL lift. I wanted to be able to lift a cu yd of dirt. The 2 series could not do that and subsequently even with the 3 series, I have wished for more lift power. I wanted approx 8' lift height. 2 series did not do that.

Back Hoe. The 2 series BH did not dig deep enough and as a function of depth had less reach requiring the tractor to be moved more often. Obviously the 3 series BH also has more actual digging power. I have found that digging out stumps that look relatively small are a chore even for the 3 series BH.

While more HP will run PTO implements with a lighter tractor, it may be difficult to put the HP to the ground without wheel spin.

Transmission. I did not see if the 2 series is a 2 range or 3 range. Past users of 2 range HST tended to complain Low was too slow and High was not powerful enough for certain tasks. In Ohio, I suspect you will also have snow clearing duties. For work in the woods, you may want to consider something better than a plain ROPS for head protection from falling limbs.

It's easy to spend other peoples money, but my suggestion is to carefully detail your specific requirements, now and future anticipated & compare to each series capabilities in order to ensure best possible chance of making the right decision. Based on your information provided, I suspect, in the long run you might be happier with a 3 series or maybe even a 4 series.

Thanks! I believe I did weigh all those things and found myself wanting the 2 over the 3 series. I believe I can do most things that I'd want a tractor to do by hand. In fact, I have for the most part minus grading my driveway. Judging by spec's of course the 3 looks better than a 2, and a 4 better than a 3. I am settling on the 2038r cause of its feel, not so much it's specifications. When I test drove a 3033, I felt like I was on something that wasn't quite right. Too large for my and to tall to fit my trails. The 3032e was slightly smaller but lacked a finish for even its price. I might be eating my words someday but today I feel pretty comfy knowing that I'm making my judgement off what fits me now!

/ A newer 2038r thread #7  
Here's my opinion which is generally not taken well by some. Unless you make money with your BH I would recommend saving that 7k+ and rent a mini-ex when those projects come up. They are considerably quicker and more powerful. The most common argument is that when they want to use it they want it now which always surprises me as that's a typical millennial attitude and most here are more seasoned than that. Almost anytime I see a tractor for sale with a backhoe, the pic shows it almost tipped over, faded from the sun and no noticible wear on the bucket. It was great for 5 hrs and then not touched again

Good luck and sounds like a heck of a tractor package your building

Brett

/ A newer 2038r thread
Thanks Brett! Ive read a lot about CUT backhoes ending up as garage weights!

/ A newer 2038r thread #9  
I have been looking at the new '17 2032R, well actually have one on order. I was looking at the new 3 series, but it was a little big for me as well. The couple extra HP for the 2038, not really worth it to me, even for PTO attachments. If you do get it, get the heavy duty bucket, I think you will appreciate it in the end. I have a '11 2025 and I have just about wore the bucket out.

/ A newer 2038r thread #10  
The most common argument is that when they want to use it they want it now which always surprises me as that's a typical millennial attitude and most here are more seasoned than that.

I get that... and in general I would agree. I *should* be more seasoned! I'm 54, with 9 kids! BUT, I'm nearly in the same boat as the o.p. here in the contemplation mode. My specific deal is that I do most of the cooking for my family, am extremely busy in my practice and am President Elect of my state professional association. SO, I have only a few hours left in a day to get work done outside. I don't want to have to spend most of that driving into town to pick up my friend's machine, then haul it back.

So I originally thought that having one of my own at home, albeit a small one, would be the way to go. Having listened to all the sage advice, however, I've changed my mind on that.