Buying Advice Newbie needs buying advice, starting near square 1

/ Newbie needs buying advice, starting near square 1 #1  

alligatorob

Tractor
2013 NH Boomer 40
I posted a few weeks back on my need for a tractor and got some really good guidance, see http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...s/375504-need-lots-tractor-buying-advice.html Now I am hoping to get more specific.

The second closest dealer to my home is John Deere. And I would like to stick close to home. FYI, the nearest dealer to my home is Case, I posted a similar request over there.

I am new at this, have not driven a tractor in over 40 years, and don稚 know much. I have a couple of acres of peaches and need to do a lot of landscaping. I also have a 250 gravel drive that needs snow removal in winter and gravel maintained in summer. And my son has a couple of acres down the road and has similar needs. My original post has a lot more about my needs, did not want to repeat too much here.

I have been looking online and there seem to be too many choices, I probably want something in the 40 to 50 hp range. It seems to me you get more tractor for the money with a small utility tractor than with a larger compact, what am I missing?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

I plan to head to the dealer Saturday and am sure you guys can make me sound a lot smarter than I am.

/ Newbie needs buying advice, starting near square 1 #2  
I posted a few weeks back on my need for a tractor and got some really good guidance, see http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...s/375504-need-lots-tractor-buying-advice.html Now I am hoping to get more specific.

The second closest dealer to my home is John Deere. And I would like to stick close to home. FYI, the nearest dealer to my home is Case, I posted a similar request over there.

I am new at this, have not driven a tractor in over 40 years, and don稚 know much. I have a couple of acres of peaches and need to do a lot of landscaping. I also have a 250 gravel drive that needs snow removal in winter and gravel maintained in summer. And my son has a couple of acres down the road and has similar needs. My original post has a lot more about my needs, did not want to repeat too much here.

I have been looking online and there seem to be too many choices, I probably want something in the 40 to 50 hp range. It seems to me you get more tractor for the money with a small utility tractor than with a larger compact, what am I missing?

I plan to head to the dealer Saturday and am sure you guys can make me sound a lot smarter than I am.

Compare both tractors specifications, take note of how responsive the dealers are, take a look at the facilities and then weigh pricing. Ken Sweet

/ Newbie needs buying advice, starting near square 1 #3  
Talk to your neighbours, over the fence or at the Pub. They will most likely tell you what dealership has the best reputation for backing up their product in you area.

In my experience a good dealership will sell you the tractor that you need; not what's on the lot. They also know that if they do that you'll keep coming back for parts, service and advice. And that you'll 'talk them up' if they treat you right.

In my case the JD dealership was the one that got the glowing reports. I grabbed a local, tractor owning, friend and went there. When I sat down with the salesman (as a total novice AND pre-TBN) I laid all of my 'cards on the table' as to my total inexperience [the friend just sat there, drinking coffee... but the salesman knew him]. The salesman asked a lot of questions as to what my situation was and what work I wanted a tractor to do.

Short story is that he sold me my tractor. And not the more expensive higher HP 3000 series but the less expensive 4105... because it did what I needed (round bale handling).

I'd be more than happy to wax lyrical about how great my John Deere(s) are but, to be honest, they're the only tractors I've ever run or have any experience with. Besides that, TBN has its own reputation of members not 'bagging' other coloured tractors.

/ Newbie needs buying advice, starting near square 1 #4  
NO CLUTTERING THE SITE WITH MULTIPLE POST ON THE SAME SUBJECT. SHAME ON YOU.

/ Newbie needs buying advice, starting near square 1 #6  
Jeff, who are you referring to...

and why are you yelling?

Well, he does own a Kubota, lol. You need to check around as Ken mentioned, sit on several tractors, operate them on the lot & see which feels better to you "fit" wise. Look at the dealerships & see how they are run, feel the experience & see which one makes you feel the most comfortable & really goes all out on working for your needs.

Ronnie

/ Newbie needs buying advice, starting near square 1 #7  

It took me a couple of years, freezing my butt in winter and hot sun in summer, to realize I should have bought a CAB in the first place and it cost a lot more to make the change than if I had bought a CAB in the first place. I don't know how cab's interact with peach trees, but for the rest of your tasks - that's what I would want.

/ Newbie needs buying advice, starting near square 1 #8  
Not sure how much total property you have but 40 to 50 horsepower seems large for the applications you mentioned. Smaller is often better in orchards. I would suggest looking at the 30 to 35 HP range and see if that seems to fit.

/ Newbie needs buying advice, starting near square 1 #9  
Sounds like a little less than 10 acres between father and son's place. Fifty horsepower might be a little over-the-top but 40Hp with a cab might be a pretty "sweet spot"!

I haven't kept pace with many of the new Deere models. But, doesn't JD offer a 3046R with a cab?

Hmmm... Hydraulic angle 7' rear blade and front loader mount snow blade?? Clean those driveways up real fast!

3rd function to the loader for a root-brush grapple (landscape and orchard use). Need that 3rd hyd for the front blade, too.

Cab a/c for summer mowing. Could go with a mid-mount finish mower for the 3000 series or keep it simple with a rear, 3 point model. Utah is pretty warm and dry in the summer; so, you can let the lawn firm up a bit before mowing. A mid- mount would be OK even with a cab, 3000.

OK, where's that checkbook...?

/ Newbie needs buying advice, starting near square 1 #10  
It struck me that the OP was looking too big, also. I would think you'd want something that fits nicely in an orchard. One thing that might push to bigger, is loader capacity. If there is a need to lift heavy loads, like pallets, hay bales, or what not, then you'd have to go bigger. I'm really salivating for a 2038R, myself!