Dealer philosophy..

/ Dealer philosophy..
I suspect the small tractor buyer newbies expect to use up a lot of the dealers time compared to a farmer buying his 15th tractor or combine. If you know what you want when you show up it does make for a faster smoother transaction.

Yep...

/ Dealer philosophy.. #12  
Once you've gotten to know the culture of the organizations available, your pick has been made for you. Some dealers want to make every sale, and less profit is worth getting the business for them... others seem to think every customer is a tire kicker looking to screw them out of maximizing their profitability. They're as different as people are--you'll enjoy and be drawn to some, and others you'll write off their first defining moment. The more options are available, the better the individual's emphasis on customer service--generally speaking. Some vendors seem to have the attitude they are the local Mr. Monopoly...

/ Dealer philosophy.. #13  
Often I see threads where people are asking if they can buy below msrp. Most dealers of cars, trucks and yes tractors try to be secretive about their margin. Some dealers will tell you that they don't have any room to work with and some will tell you they are selling at invoice.:laughing: So what does the dealer pay for a tractor and what is a reasonable expectation of discount when buying? Does anyone really think the dealer should pay a high franchise fee, keep the lights on and pay the employees without making a gross profit to defray these costs? I know in my own businesses that I have to make a profit in order to buy things for my home and keep the lights on.

The last three tractors I have purchased along with the implements included in the order have been discounted between 15 and 18%. I would expect the dealers are buying these tractors and implements around 35% to 45% below the msrp price. By the time the dealer pays the bills that does not leave much room for net profits but if the dealer is going to stay in business he does need to make a profit. I would also add that the same is true for the service shop and parts counter, both need to make a profit to keep the bills paid. The world is full of people who don't understand what it cost to run a business today. For most businesses the last few years have been a struggle. Net profit can be hard to come by.

/ Dealer philosophy.. #14  
This is why reducing it to a simple yes/no decision would save time all around.

I really could care less about payments for my private use... a business that is buying to increase the bottom line could very well find payments beneficial...

Still remember when I bought my Suzuki Samurai from a private seller... drove past it everyday so decided to stop...

The old guy that had it for sale said he was not going to Dicker... the price is the price and I thanked him and started to leave saying I appreciated his being candid.

I said I just got my tax refund and it was less than what he was asking... showed him my check and wallet we ended up making the deal... he even gave me $10 to buy gas...

My thought is he saw I had the means to buy and was not wasting his time.

Growing up around the Car Business there would be no end to folks coming in on the weekends just for something to do... they had no intention of buying which is fine but wanted/needed a large amount of time from the sales floor.

/ Dealer philosophy.. #15  
This is why reducing it to a simple yes/no decision would save time all around.

I really could care less about payments for my private use... a business that is buying to increase the bottom line could very well find payments beneficial...

Still remember when I bought my Suzuki Samurai from a private seller... drove past it everyday so decided to stop...

The old guy that had it for sale said he was not going to Dicker... the price is the price and I thanked him and started to leave saying I appreciated his being candid.

I said I just got my tax refund and it was less than what he was asking... showed him my check and wallet we ended up making the deal... he even gave me $10 to buy gas...

My thought is he saw I had the means to buy and was not wasting his time.

Growing up around the Car Business there would be no end to folks coming in on the weekends just for something to do... they had no intention of buying which is fine but wanted/needed a large amount of time from the sales floor.

Lookers too much of a nuisance?
Just keep the front door locked.

/ Dealer philosophy.. #16  
There are a lot of people window shopping and kicking tires. Not much of a problem if they don't use up some one elses time to do it. Tying up the sales persons time with no regard or intention of buying is inconsiderate imo.

When I am ready to buy I show up with a small cashiers check for ordering (earnest money) and a larger cashiers check for a healthy down payment. The dealer knows I am serious and ready to buy and have the money to proceed. I think this helps with pricing and makes for a smoother swap of money for the tractor I want. Most of the sales persons job is taking the order in detail and fetching the price from the dealer/manager. Usually this involves ordering the specific tractor and add on in for delivery to me. I recognize we all have to eat.

/ Dealer philosophy.. #17  
I suspect the small tractor buyer newbies expect to use up a lot of the dealers time compared to a farmer buying his 15th tractor or combine. If you know what you want when you show up it does make for a faster smoother transaction.
I believe you nailed it!

Huge difference between a commercial farmer and a suburban home owner looking for a bargain. This whole site appears to be dominated by casual homesteaders and woodlot owners looking for killer deals on tractors and equipment for weekend ranchers. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, but there is no comparison between them and full time farmers/ranchers actually making a living off the land.

/ Dealer philosophy.. #18  
Lookers too much of a nuisance?
Just keep the front door locked.

Lookers are great... no doors to lock as the dealership is wide open and prices clearly marked and it costs nothing to look.

When you live on commission having someone waste hours of your time "Kicking" tires is not going to put food on your table.

It comes down to how much of your work day are you willing to work for free.

Often takes less time to sell a 250k combine as a 12k SCUT...

I find it helpful to try to see things from the other's person's shoes...

/ Dealer philosophy.. #19  
I have found JD to be quite willing to deal, having bought two new tractors from them. But basically, corporate has already sharpened their pencils with regard to the marketplace, so a dealer can only go so far.

Besides, you don't go into a Mercedes dealership expecting them to beat the price of a Ugo!

/ Dealer philosophy.. #20  
The neighbor bought a single cylinder gas Gator a few years back...

They were miles from home and stopped into a Deere AG dealer... his wife asked about he Gator and the sales person said it had been in the show room 2 years and the owner mentioned that morning he wanted it out... they don't have a market for this machine...

Got a great deal and loaded it up in their pickup... this is the only time I have heard anything like it...

By the way they love it and the wife uses it all the time on their flat landscaped acreage... it worked out to be 27% discount...