Buying Advice Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310 #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
Hi, I am getting ready to sell my 2002 4310 and go to a new machine.

I would like to know any caveats with the 3R (and possibly 4R) machines. What options should I strongly consider, or avoid?
How are the Tier 4's - should I look for a nice Tier 3 instead?
I have a hobby farm, not a landscape contractor, should I go with the natural aspiration?
I really hate to get boxed in with an 'e' model.
She will not let me have a cab. Seriously. Not an option. (besides we have 3 bazillion trees)

Thanks in advance!

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310 #2  
Cabs and trees don't mix. Smart woman.

I recently bought a 3039R. I love it. I could care less about Tier 4 vs Tier 3. It just plain works.

If I were to do it over again, I would seriously consider R1 ag tires over the R4 industrials. I tear up the ground less, but I sure miss the traction. I make a 1000# ballast box that helps immensely, but the other tires are something I might reconsider in doing it over. Otherwise, I love the thing. I don't really know how I survived all these years with just an 8N.

Chances are, you are going to want to do a lot of brush/tree work. If so, buy the grapple, have it fitted for 3-way hydraulics on the joy stick right from the get go. If you have any topography at all, and maybe even if you don't, have the rear (only) wheels set wide. Mine came in the narrow position and I think I would like to change that - which I can, but I should have made the dealer do it before it was delivered.

Add lights and maybe heaters for engine and hydro depending on where you live.

Do not consider anything other than the HST transmission.

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310
Thanks! I have been wondering about the tires - mine has the Ag's. My place is rustic. and crazy terrain.

Another concern in the Turbo. We have been thinking that we'd rather go up a frame size than go turbo.

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310 #4  
Why the gunshyness of the turbo? I have two in my vehicles and they are outstanding. So far, the tractor is great (albeit a little under 20 hrs so far). I have not heard of turbos being an issue. The larger tractor will cost a bunch more, give you a little more weight and horses (maybe). I wouldn't run from the turbo myself, but if more horses and weight works for you then, of course.

One thing about the R series that I don't think I'll ever use is the fancy electronics with the cruise control, the long vs. slow role out and some of that other electronic transmission stuff. I'm also, unlike many here, not sure why a 3 speed transmission in the R is better than the 2 speed transmission in the E given that I will extremely rarely, if ever, go out on the road and use high gear. So far, I've stuck in B range and been happy as a clam. I occasionally try A range just for fun, but see little use for it - so far. When I get to mowing heavy brush and grass, or moving some really heavy logs, then I may like the A range. But what do I need C (high) for? I got a lot of encouragement to go for the 3-spd over the 2-spd, but I can't really see why, yet.

After 15 years, we wouldn't give up any of the 'e' features. All quite useful, when the situation warrants. And 'C" range is really nice when I have to run 1/2 mile to the back fence.

I am pretty sure after pricing, and considering our property that the 3 will be the answer. I am open to Turbo, but still remember that there is no replacement for displacement.

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310 #6  
Yeah but you can't give u 'e' features because they are the 'low end' features. Its the R features that might be in question.

My back fence is about the same distance but back in the timber. I can't drive c range in the woods and live.

oops by 'e' i meant electronic - eHydro - not e-conomy

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310 #8  
What are you doing that you use the roll out feature for instance? I can believe that is useful to some folks, like professional landscapers, but for the average acreage owner, not so much. And it comes a pretty stiff price.

If I am working in tight places - switch Motion Match to short where I am less concerned with impact on myself than hitting something else (my Willys, a tree, etc) Otherwise, set it to long and glide to a change of direction.

Load match is great when doing heavy work, but slows down transport - nice to be able to select it.

My unit doesn't have the throttle tie in - that would be kinda nice.

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310 #10  
Sounds like you have good use for it then. I've not found the need yet.