Turf vs R4 Industrial tire

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #31  
I'm curious what your comparison was?

A mishmash of many things. Even the lawn tractor with turfs and differential lock will not be able to cross the drive in wet snow or packed snow/ice, never mind doing anything useful. All the sidewalk clearing vehicles on campus in winter (compact tractors mostly) are chained up if wearing turfs.

The old 8N with fairly decent R1s would work in most any condition and it did have more traction on its two tires than the 3039r does on its two R4s in 2-wheel drive, but the JD has 4 wd too and it certainly is MUCH gentler on the grass and trails that I have. So, I've given up some traction there for sure, but I haven't filled the R4 tires like I did the R1s and I don't get the damage. I haven't used the R4s on snow and ice yet, but I can't see how they can be any worse than the turfs, not even close, but if so, they will get chained up. Most everything does if the snow season gets serious. But for day-in-day out work like moving manure out in the mud today, the R4s didn't slip a millimeter. The R1s or turfs couldn't have beaten that.

If I go back to towing logs I'll really miss the R1s for sure. But now I can carry them in a grapple. I don't see Turfs being ANY advantage in log dragging at all. But I have to confess, I haven't tried that one yet.

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #32  
How old do I have to be to get that upgrade?

Drawing SS...:)

But since I still hay...the 3046R will also be my tender/rake puller during the non-snow seasons...:)

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #33  
Duel turfs? You gotta post pics lol
iphone pics 209.jpg

I origionally set them up for mowing ditches but they have come in so useful for so many things.

ForumRunner_20140728_180345.png

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #37  
My brain says buy turfs but my ego says buy R4's 'cause they look cooler....:)

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #38  
My brain says buy turfs but my ego says buy R4's 'cause they look cooler....:)

If you order turfs make sure there the multi track and not the golf course type.

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #39  
If turfs were the way to go, all around better tire, all the tractors in the lots would have turfs on them, not R4's.

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #40  
I think your primary use should determine the type of tires for a tractor.