Turf vs R4 Industrial tire

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #1  

VictorIdaho

Tractor
none
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of buying my first tractor and decided on the JD 2032r. I was told by
the dealership that orders for the 2017 models are shipping in Oct. The dealer has one
in stock but it has the turf tires rather than the R4 industrial tires that I asked for. I am
wondering if it's OK to just get the turf tires instead. Here's what I am going to be using
it for:

1) light tilling/mowing/spraying in a 2-acre vineyard
2) mowing a 2-acre pasture
3) moving manure from 2 horses
4) snow plow for 1000' of paved road (probably never more than 2-3 feet of snow)
5) light loader work in the dirt

The soil is extremely sandy. I don't plan on mowing any grass with it. If I had lawn to mow I would probably
just use a riding mower so I don't really have to worry about tearing up the lawn.

Would the turf tires be acceptable?

Victor

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #2  
The only way I would buy R-4's on a small tractor is if I was working in rocks and gravel 80% or more of the time. They are a heavier more rugged tire and because of that they ride a lot rougher.

For your intended uses the turf tires will be more than adequate. This is just my opinion and experience. Others seem to think that R=4's are the only answer. I value the comfort of a softer ride more and more as I get older.

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #3  
I have R4s and never had a problem with them with plowing, bucket work, mowing, working in mud and dirt jobs. I think the tractor rides fine and I wanted the ruggedness R4s provide, as I understand. I would have them switch them.

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #4  
Why did you want industrial tires? Just asking, as you seem to have formed an opinion as to why you want them.

I personally do not like R4 tires. I've had them on a machine, and was not pleased with their performance in sand or on pavement/asphalt/concrete. My current machine has turfs. I mow. I plow snow. I do loader work moving loose material like mulch, sand, dirt, moon dust (granulated limestone for ball diamonds), I drag firewood out of the woods, brush hog, etc... and the turfs have never lacked traction on grass or sand or for pushing into piles of material. Our property is almost entirely sandy loam.

You have some load considerations between the two types of tires, so check out those numbers.

I do slide a bit on wet grass with turf tires on side slopes, and I do crab walk sideways (my machine is articulated) in snow on side slopes. My R4s did a lot of damage to our lawn when wet that the turfs never did, as the large cleats made cleat marks in the soil.

If he has one in stock, with turfs, go drive it around and see if they'll let you do some work with it. See how they feel. See if they have a similar tractor with R4s and see how that feels doing similar work. Only you can make the call. For the needs you mentioned, I'd go with turfs, but again, that's just my personal opinion.

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire
Thanks for all the valuable feedback. As to your question, MossRoad, I'm not exactly sure how I came to this conclusion.
I heard from a dealer that the R4's are popular because they provide more traction than the turfs but are not quite as
aggressive as the R1's. The treads are shorter and wider on the R4's so it seemed like a good compromise. Since this
is my first tractor the tire decision was a bit of a stab in the dark. I'm glad to hear that the consensus is that the
turfs will do just fine. I never considered the ride comfort aspect so I am glad that issue was raised.

Apparently the 2032r's are selling like hotcakes and I hate the idea of buying one from a dealership that's
far away. The dealership that has the 2032r with turf tires proposed that I consider a 3038e they have in stock which has the
R4's and is $800 cheaper. They are on the same chassis so they weigh about the same and since 32 hp is probably
more than I need 38hp seemed way too much. In addition, the 3038 is a turbo and the ergonomics are
not as good. I am not a huge fan of turbos. Also, the dealer is in Oregon so no sales tax and they are probably 30 mins
from my place in Idaho.

Victor

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #7  
Good reasoning. As for larger HP on same frame.... I'm a big fan of getting the most HP available for a frame size, if its affordable.

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #8  
I would prefer Titan turf savers over R4s, I have R4s on my tractor now and have put thought into swapping them with Titan turf savers.

Turfs are better in the snow and are just as good in the mud as R4s are, R4s are a bit better for heavy loader work and sharp objects you might find bush hogging in a field.

I would prefer a set of Titan Turf Savers on my tractor, I wouldn't care for the golf course type Turfs.

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #9  
will go opposite and say go with R1's. the only thing that stands out is the concrete driveway and finish mowing the yard.

but the pasture, vineyard, loader work, horse stalls, sounds like a lot of wet grass/mud/dirt were there be some hill / inclines to deal with. and you more likely wanting some traction.

finish mowing, just wait till it drys out more after a rain till ya get on grass, and keep it in 2WD (2 wheel drive) i am no a golf course grass person. my yard gets cut, and is ragged here and there. and that is fine with me. i tear up a little bit of lawn when i crank the steering wheel all the way over and hit the split rear brakes to turn as sharply as i can. but *shrugs* i want to be done mowing and move on with other things, and if a little tear up of yard as i go around a tree for a single 1 time loop around it. so be it.

if i have issues with a truck tires, i am going to have issues with turf tires, i have lots of hills here on the farm. anything that gives me traction is welcomed.

============
i would say go for chains if you need them. but the concrete driveway and chains = putting nicks and scratches on the concrete. if you are ok with that. turf, R4, or R1's, and go at it with chains if you feel you need them.

/ Turf vs R4 Industrial tire #10  
I with boggen. I go with nothing but R1s. However, R1s weren't what you were asking about.

If you go with turfs, be prepared to sooner or later, to purchase tire chains. There is no one tire design that does it all. There are advantages and disadvantage and compromises to be made.

Tire design and ride comfort? It's a tractor, not a touring car. The tractor seat and seat suspension is what really determines the ride comfort.

My only recommendation is don't be impatient and be in a rush to purchase your new tractor if it is not exactly what you want. A few months is a very short time verses the time you will be using the tractor you chose.