Buying Advice Two Tractor Dilema

/ Two Tractor Dilema #1  

Leecofarm

Tractor
2018 John Deere 5100m cab loader, 2019John Deere 5075e OS, loader grapple, 1964 JD 2010RU
I currently operate two tractors on a 600 acre tree farm: A 1964 JD 2010 RU that my dad bought new and a JD 6403 98 HP tractor that I bought new 7 years ago. It has approx 700 hours. I do most of my light mowing with the 2010. This consists of 10 acres of lawn with a 6 ft grooming mower and 10+ miles of roads through the farm with a 6 ft bush hog. I use the 6403 to harrow, plow, plant and cultivate 15 acres of food plots and mow 10-15 acres of Bahia grass fields. I am going to purchase a cab tractor with detachable bucket to replace one of them, but am torn by which one I should replace. The 6403 is 4 wheel drive and pulls a 12' draft harrow with no problem. Just heat and dust with open station. The 2010 and 6403 are in good shape as both have been garaged and serviced every year since new. I thought about replacing the 6403 with a 5100M with cab and loader for field work and 70% of my heavy mowing. Problem is, I do use the 2010 to do light work, including turf mowing that a large utility tractor can't do. Can't justify replacing both at the same time. I also considered a 3 cylinder 5075E or M as a compromise that could possibly replace both. Question is; do I keep the pre-tier 4 6403 tractor open station and continue to eat dust and retire the 2010 and replace with a smaller 4 or 5 series cab tractor/bucket combo? Or move up to the 5100M and continue to use the 2010 for light mowing until it croaks?

New to this forum and appreciate any feedback.

/ Two Tractor Dilema #2  
Have you considered replacing the 6403 with a lightly used pre-tier CAB tractor that will do the job?

/ Two Tractor Dilema
   / Two Tractor Dilema #4  
Not a bad idea, Thanks for the suggestion.

If the dust and open station of the heavy tractor are the problem then I'd say do whatever you need to do to fix that problem. It's health-related, and that's important.

Not sure why you want to replace the 2010, though. Is it having problems? With normal regular maintenance it ought to be good mechanically just about forever. People usually get rid of those older Deeres because of "soft" systems rather than mechanicals. The problems tend to be things that age but are easily replaceable, but still add up to real money. Things like gauges, hoses, seats, tires, paint, and rubber parts. such. And that's a sure-enough valid reason to buy something new..., although actually the 2010 would be easy to update if you care to do so. Pretty nice machines.
rScotty

/ Two Tractor Dilema
The 2010 is in pretty good shape, with minor differential leaks and the usual wear and tear that a 53 year old tractor has. I wouldn't get rid of it, just retire it to minor work.

/ Two Tractor Dilema #6  
The 2010 is in pretty good shape, with minor differential leaks and the usual wear and tear that a 53 year old tractor has. I wouldn't get rid of it, just retire it to minor work.

OK, that makes a lot of sense. With that many acres and the work you are doing it sounds like you will always need at least two tractors - a big and a little - and having something as nice as your dad's 2010 as a backup just makes sense. BTW, back in the 60s power steering was an option on the 2010. Does yours have it?

A couple of questions, does the 6403 have 4wd and is 4wd important on your place? And finally, how about leasing a tractor from your dealer for fall chores while he puts a cab and/or loader on the 6403? Or is adding to the 6403 not an option?

Oh, last question and I hope I'm not asking too many....but what is it about the new tractors that you would want that the 6403 doesn't have?
rScotty

/ Two Tractor Dilema
OK, that makes a lot of sense. With that many acres and the work you are doing it sounds like you will always need at least two tractors - a big and a little - and having something as nice as your dad's 2010 as a backup just makes sense. BTW, back in the 60s power steering was an option on the 2010. Does yours have it?

A couple of questions, does the 6403 have 4wd and is 4wd important on your place? And finally, how about leasing a tractor from your dealer for fall chores while he puts a cab and/or loader on the 6403? Or is adding to the 6403 not an option?

Oh, last question and I hope I'm not asking too many....but what is it about the new tractors that you would want that the 6403 doesn't have?
rScotty

Yes, the '64 2010 RU gas has power steering and the power adjustable rear wheel option. No mechanical problems since new, just alternator, tires, and tune up items. I'll probably replace the 4x4 6403 with a 5100M w/cab, and the following year buy a 4000 series JD with cab and loader to replace the 2010, which will relegated to wagon pulling, etc..

Thanks for the suggestions.

/ Two Tractor Dilema #8  
3 tractors an option?

/ Two Tractor Dilema
   / Two Tractor Dilema #10  
Yes, I'll probably end up with 5100m with cab and 45 hp cab tractor w/ loader and retire the 2010.

I'd keep her around and in running condition.