Good or bad utility tractor models

/ Good or bad utility tractor models #1  

Rmart30

Platinum Member
Tractor
Currently Kubota L4600HST, two Massey 265's, Massey 230, Kubota M8540...... Had Long 510, Mahindra 3510.Ford 4000, Deere 4230.
We are looking to possibly buy a 50-60ish hp tractor for a spare. Seeing lots of 5103 2wd no FEL with under 1000 hrs for around 9k. Been considering one of those. Any models in that HP range to steer clear of?

/ Good or bad utility tractor models #2  
Stay far away from the new 4 series

/ Good or bad utility tractor models #3  
15-20 year old 4600 or 4700 should be a good solid tractor if you don't find a 5000 series.

/ Good or bad utility tractor models #4  
Stay far away from the new 4 series

Well, in reality...the new 4 series is still a CUT...NOT an UT...for a Utility tractor in the newer realm you are at a Series 5 at a minimum

Rmart, if you find an old (1976-1982) well maintained JD2640 it will do all aspects of hay farming with none of the modern electronics to go bad while it sits...:)

/ Good or bad utility tractor models #5  
I'm on the 3rd one in two years
Rusty, not too many of us can say that so you have had some bad luck.
Or you are buying a model that has real issues.
I am assuming you are talking about a JD built in India.
I also own an Indian tractor, a Massey that is a 5E series wannabe, with a Simpson/Perkins design diesel.

Are these issues you had related to poor engineering, bad build quality, a consistent theme?
That would sure be interesting to hear about.

All efforts to be pleasant and not prickly will be appreciated. Spanner that was quite a blast you made.
And frankly saying stay away from 4 series JD is basically a general opinion. Spanner, don't you think we all can see that ourselves?
It's an unsupported general whitewash statement that is all fluff and no substance other than for sure expressing brand and model
negativity. But guess what, he gets to do that...at least in this country.

The name of this thread is exceptionally broad in scope. I don't see Yukon's statement as being bad in any way, but then
I'm not following his threads. If Yukon was nothing but a flamer, he would have been yanked long ago.
Let's all be nice and learn from each other.

I almost bought a 4720 instead of my Kubota L and would have if the dealer was closer and better.
A 4 series is a CUT. I found, out of inexperience and new experience, that having a "real" utility tractor, something around 5000 pounds and above
would have been a better choice for me. I should have bought an M instead of an L. But you learn these things

But entry level Utility seems to be the playground of the Indian tractors. Or perhaps a forte if one uses JD's rebranding as a compliment.
Is there a quality control problem or a poor quality component problem? Or a JD distribution/parts problem.

Beyond entry level it looks like frame size goes up. So if one can speculate on what is good or bad about utility tractors, isn't it more making sure you
get the right size and capability for your job?

I'd like to know which manufacturer has the strongest loaders in a given hp/weight category. My L Kubota has weaker FEL lift despite half a dozen pressure checks
that if I were to trade up, I'd want 4000 pound lift minimum.

I look at a new M5 or M6 Kubota and drool. The lower profile ones. But a 5M JD would be hard to walk away from also.
So when one asks what is best, or worst, need to be fair about price range. My expectations for the L FEL lift were probably
unrealistic due to inexperience. Now I know...

/ Good or bad utility tractor models #6  
Rmart, please be more specific as to whether you mean JD models in that hp range or any company's models.
Big difference in discussion. If the former, need JD experts.

btw, I like the idea of getting a spare tractor that is Tier III or Tier IV interim. Spare me the DEF.
I own a II and a III and the exhaust is totally clean.(ok, smell and visibility)

/ Good or bad utility tractor models
Rmart, please be more specific as to whether you mean JD models in that hp range or any company's models.
Big difference in discussion. If the former, need JD experts.

btw, I like the idea of getting a spare tractor that is Tier III or Tier IV interim. Spare me the DEF.
I own a II and a III and the exhaust is totally clean.(ok, smell and visibility)

I will buy nothing that is tier IV or has any kind of DPF system on it ever. I work on enough of that mess at work to know to stay as far away from it as I can.

Just Deeres is why I posted it in the deere section instead of the general forum. Those size HP kubota are harder to find than deere in my area.

I currently have a L4600 and a 4240 deere. Need something in between those. I was eyeing a 5300 that is for sale but not stuck on it.

We have a ditch mower we are currently using on a 5103. Little light of a tractor for it when fully extended. Need something that will tote it better and run a 7 or 8 ft bush hog and 8 ft disk.

/ Good or bad utility tractor models #8  
I'm on the 3rd one in two years
Rusty, not too many of us can say that so you have had some bad luck.
Or you are buying a model that has real issues.
I am assuming you are talking about a JD built in India.
I also own an Indian tractor, a Massey that is a 5E series wannabe, with a Simpson/Perkins design diesel.

Are these issues you had related to poor engineering, bad build quality, a consistent theme?
That would sure be interesting to hear about.

All efforts to be pleasant and not prickly will be appreciated. Spanner that was quite a blast you made.
And frankly saying stay away from 4 series JD is basically a general opinion. Spanner, don't you think we all can see that ourselves?
It's an unsupported general whitewash statement that is all fluff and no substance other than for sure expressing brand and model
negativity. But guess what, he gets to do that...at least in this country.

The name of this thread is exceptionally broad in scope. I don't see Yukon's statement as being bad in any way, but then
I'm not following his threads. If Yukon was nothing but a flamer, he would have been yanked long ago.
Let's all be nice and learn from each other.

I almost bought a 4720 instead of my Kubota L and would have if the dealer was closer and better.
A 4 series is a CUT. I found, out of inexperience and new experience, that having a "real" utility tractor, something around 5000 pounds and above
would have been a better choice for me. I should have bought an M instead of an L. But you learn these things

But entry level Utility seems to be the playground of the Indian tractors. Or perhaps a forte if one uses JD's rebranding as a compliment.
Is there a quality control problem or a poor quality component problem? Or a JD distribution/parts problem.

Beyond entry level it looks like frame size goes up. So if one can speculate on what is good or bad about utility tractors, isn't it more making sure you
get the right size and capability for your job?

I'd like to know which manufacturer has the strongest loaders in a given hp/weight category. My L Kubota has weaker FEL lift despite half a dozen pressure checks
that if I were to trade up, I'd want 4000 pound lift minimum.

I look at a new M5 or M6 Kubota and drool. The lower profile ones. But a 5M JD would be hard to walk away from also.
So when one asks what is best, or worst, need to be fair about price range. My expectations for the L FEL lift were probably
unrealistic due to inexperience. Now I know...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/326021-new-5055e-6.html?highlight=

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...eed-help-deciding-deere-being.html?highlight=

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/327135-well-shoot.html?highlight=

Here's a couple threads. Had a really good one at ****************. Been an absolute nightmare. Think most was dealer related but the brakes are an inherent problem with them. How have a 5100e made in America. It's better but still has some issues.

Brett

/ Good or bad utility tractor models
Have also found a 5410 2wd no FEL. How about those?

/ Good or bad utility tractor models #10  
I like the 5X10 series. I would NOT get one that had the collar shaft transmission. I would want the sync/shuttle or PowrReverser. If the sync/shuttle, I would want the optional E-PTO.