Buying Advice John Deere 2240 4wd

/ John Deere 2240 4wd #11  
no cab so the clutch will have a direct mechanical linkage.
As long as the coolant corrosion inhibitor has been kept up to strength . And as long as the transmission oil has not been contaminated with anything that deteriorates wet brake linings. That tractor should serve well for decades.

/ John Deere 2240 4wd
I am seeing 3 transmissions listed, which one does it have and what is the clutch condition? On some of the JDs in that vintage I also think the clutch slave cylinders were in the bell housing. Not sure.

I'm not sure which transmission this one has, I'll have to check when I talk to the guy today. Is there a better or best transmission of the 3? What is the best way to determine clutch condition? Similar to a pickup? How soon the clutch starts to engage when letting it out? The tractor is about 5 or 6 hours from me, so I'm planning a bit of a trip this weekend to go see it. It should be good and cold this weekend too, so I should be able to get a good idea of how well it starts when cold out.

/ John Deere 2240 4wd
no cab so the clutch will have a direct mechanical linkage.
As long as the coolant corrosion inhibitor has been kept up to strength . And as long as the transmission oil has not been contaminated with anything that deteriorates wet brake linings. That tractor should serve well for decades.

The coolant corrosion inhibitor...is that a coolant additive? I know that my Ford 7.3 requires an additive (SCA I think it's called). As far as the brake linings go, will it be pretty obvious if these have been damaged?
One last question, is there any way to tell if this is going to be able to lift a 15-1600 lb round bale with the FEL?

/ John Deere 2240 4wd
One more question for you guys. I really like the idea of the skid-steer style quick detatch bucket mounts, but it is my understanding that John Deere has it's own bucket release system. How hard is it to change buckets out on a john deere?

/ John Deere 2240 4wd
So, i just found out today that at some point a while back the current owner had put synthetic oil in the tractor. Apparently John Deere gave him the wrong part number for the oil to use and in short time it burned up a couple of pumps. 4k later and it was good to go again with damaged components replaced. Could this have damaged brake linings? How would i know if they were?

/ John Deere 2240 4wd #16  
The three transmissions were reverser, with lever on left side of steering wheel to switch from forward to reverse without clutching, a Hi-Lo with left lever that has a two speed in each gear to give you 16 forward gear ratios instead of 8. The standard transmission if before serial number 340,000 is a collarshift which is non-synchronized and if above 340,000 the standard transmission is TSS which the right side shift lever for gears 1-4 is synchronized. For loader work the reverser is a great transmission, but for row crop work or baling, the hi-lo is nice for the extra gear ratios.
It would be interesting to find out exactly what kind of synthetic oil as used that caused the pump failures. I would not think synthetic oil should hurt the brakes, but bad brakes can hurt the pumps. Bad brakes don't usually give obvious signs they are bad. Usually first signs are slow hydraulics from filters getting clogged with brake material and/or metal filings. Brake performance many times is still good. Sometimes the pedal can get spongy, but spongy brakes may just mean there is air in the system and needs to be bled out. Most important with brakes is to prevent water contamination in the oil. If oil looks milky, beware there is high likelihood of brake problems.

/ John Deere 2240 4wd #17  
Does the owner have the paperwork for the repair? That might tell you if they inspected the brakes.

/ John Deere 2240 4wd
I'll have to ask about the reverser, but im guessing not or he would have mentioned it. Sounds like it has 2 gear shifters "on the floor". Im assuming hi-low and then 1-4 for 8 forward gears. I will have to get the serial number to see if it has the synchroed gears.
Ill ask about paperwork for the repairs...good call!

You guys are a wealth of good info! Thanks and keep it coming!

/ John Deere 2240 4wd
Ok, i ran the tractor a little bit today. Fluids looked good, however there are a few leaks. One hose is leaking pretty good from a fitting, but that shouldnt be a huge problem to replace. It has quite a few more hours on it than i was told. Its around 6500, not 4200. All in all though, it seemed pretty solid and well maintained. Is it worth the 12k they want for it

/ John Deere 2240 4wd #20  
4200 hours and now 6500? I am always concerned when I am told one thing yet find out something different. Don’t forget you were told the wrong year as well. Makes me sure there are other issues you are not told of. Did you get the repair paperwork? The shop might have an opinion if it was a recent repair they can recall. I would be nervous for $12K. Cold feet if I were you. Could even be a different tractor.