Buying Advice John Deere 2240 4wd

/ John Deere 2240 4wd #1  

THEPARTYHOUND

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2240 MFWA (SOLD); Kioti RX7320
I'm considering the purchase of my first tractor. One of the tractors that I'm looking at (although I haven't seen it yet) is a 1989 4wd 2240. I could not find that there was a 2240 built in 89, so I'm not sure if maybe the guy has his year wrong. It is 4wd, has a FEL, class 2 3-point, and a back blade that would be very useful for clearing snow. It has 4200 hours on it, but in really good shape and well maintained according to the current (2nd) owner who has had it a majority of it's life.
Just like anyone else who is looking to make a large purchase of something used, I want to be confident that this will be something that can be used for many years to come. Is 4200 a lot of hours for this tractor?

/ John Deere 2240 4wd #2  
Tractor Data states years of manufacturer from 76-82. Serial numbers are listed on their site for the years of manufacture. You should be able to identify the model year from those numbers.

I don't have any personal experience with that specific model. 4,000 hours would not scare me if the tractor was maintained.

If you are not experienced in identifying potential issues perhaps you know someone to take with you to check out the unit. Several videos are available on YouTube about what to look for in a used tractor.

Good luck and give us an update.

/ John Deere 2240 4wd #3  
Tractor Data states years of manufacturer from 76-82. Serial numbers are listed on their site for the years of manufacture. You should be able to identify the model year from those numbers.

I don't have any personal experience with that specific model. 4,000 hours would not scare me if the tractor was maintained.

If you are not experienced in identifying potential issues perhaps you know someone to take with you to check out the unit. Several videos are available on YouTube about what to look for in a used tractor.

Good luck and give us an update.

Also tractor data doesn't show 4x4 for that model

another concern- (Closed center) hydraulic system...

If it is a 4 wheel drive -have to wonder if the wrong model # has been posted?

/ John Deere 2240 4wd
I have not seen it in person, but the pics do show it as being a 2240.
The closed center hydraulics would make it difficult to add hydraulics to the system, correct? Any other drawbacks to a closed center system?

/ John Deere 2240 4wd #5  
OK good to know, 4 x on 80-82

Closed center hydraulics maybe a concern -maybe not?

/ John Deere 2240 4wd
What would the concern be on a closed center system?

/ John Deere 2240 4wd #7  
Just different than most modern SCUT CUT and utility tractors sold more recently.

The closed hydraulics on The 2240 are like those on many skid steers and excavators -they run at full pressure any time the tractor is running.

Most tractors don't need the system to be at full pressure until a cylinder needs to be extended /retracted. This way power isn't used 100% of the time by having a hydraulic pump running at full operating pressure.
In addition excess heat in the hydraulic system is minimized with an open system since pressurizing the hydraulic oil only takes place when it is needed.

Maybe someone with a similar JD tractor will chime in on this.

It is probably a non issue, just built more like an industrial machine.

/ John Deere 2240 4wd #8  
Most of the JD ag tractors are closed center, when the system reaches full pressure the pump volume decreases to just maintain pressure,
it's not much of a factor aux valves can be purchased for closed center about the same price as open center motor circuits are plumbed slightly different.

/ John Deere 2240 4wd #10  
I am seeing 3 transmissions listed, which one does it have and what is the clutch condition? On some of the JDs in that vintage I also think the clutch slave cylinders were in the bell housing. Not sure.