Buying Advice Upgrading from my 8N

/ Upgrading from my 8N #1  

downsjd34

Tractor
John Deere 4440, John Deere 4320, John Deere A, Farmall Super C, Farmall 656, Ford 8N
I have decided to finally move on from my 8N. It has been a great little tractor, but I need something with a little more versatility. The main jobs the new tractor will fill are bush hogging, post hole digging, light tilling with small 3pt equipment for pasture work, and running a roller bar hay rake. Hopefully I will be upgrading to a wheel or rotary hay rake so that is a consideration too. I would also like to be able to move a 5x6 round bale of hay with a 3pt spear, but that is not a deal breaker. I do not need a FEL as that role is filled by my 4440. The 4440 handles the larger work and baling, and I have a 4320, for the moment, that backs it up.

I would like to stay with as small as a package as I can. I love the maneuverability of my 8N with the mower and moving equipment around the barns. I like being able to easily load it on our trailer. I haven't looked into newer compact tractors because 1: grandpa raised me old school, 2: Budget, and 3: I feel like I would rather have the weight of an older model.

*Red I am not really considering anymore.*

I have located a 920, 2020, 2030, 2040, 2155, and a 2350(stretching the budget) within a reasonable driving distance and within my budget. For you more experienced owners out there, what would you recommend? Should I be looking at completely different models? There doesn't seem to be much of a difference on the surface between the 2020 and 2030 so go with whichever one has been taken care of the best? I also now have a Ford 4600 and a Massey 255 on my radar. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
   / Upgrading from my 8N #2  
I moved up from a 8n, sometimes miss it but needed the funds to buy with. The field is wide open to move up from
a n series and get live PTO and power steering. If my 8n had those I probably would have kept it. Dont rule out a ford 2000-4000 or AC D17-19 usually less money than same size deere.

David

/ Upgrading from my 8N #3  
I have decided to finally move on from my 8N. It has been a great little tractor, but I need something with a little more versatility. The main jobs the new tractor will fill are bush hogging, post hole digging, light tilling with small 3pt equipment for pasture work, and running a roller bar hay rake. Hopefully I will be upgrading to a wheel or rotary hay rake so that is a consideration too. I would also like to be able to move a 5x6 round bale of hay with a 3pt spear, but that is not a deal breaker. I do not need a FEL as that role is filled by my 4440. The 4440 handles the larger work and baling, and I have a 4320, for the moment, that backs it up.

I would like to stay with as small as a package as I can. I love the maneuverability of my 8N with the mower and moving equipment around the barns. I like being able to easily load it on our trailer. I haven't looked into newer compact tractors because 1: grandpa raised me old school, 2: Budget, and 3: I feel like I would rather have the weight of an older model.

I have located a 920, 2020, 2030, 2040, 2155, and a 2350(stretching the budget) within a reasonable driving distance and within my budget. For you more experienced owners out there, what would you recommend? Should I be looking at completely different models? There doesn't seem to be much of a difference on the surface between the 2020 and 2030 so go with whichever one has been taken care of the best? Thanks in advance!

Whatever you do, don't sell the old 8N!
Mine is a 1951, and I bought it in 1971.
It is now 67 years old!
I have 2 other tractors, and the 8N stays.
When my youngest son turns 78, my 8N will be 100.
It will be fun for him to have!

/ Upgrading from my 8N #4  
Three years ago I was able to get a two owner Ford 4610 SU with 2900 easy hours. I don't know your budget but I got a decent deal on it. It is an ideal chore tractor if you don't need an FEL tractor. Pretty nimble, plenty of power, parts are available, wet brakes, independent PTO, and power steering. If you can find one for sale get it. Not that many are on the market. Folks that have them are not willing to part with them. I was fortunate and patient.

/ Upgrading from my 8N
Don't worry, the 8N isn't going anywhere! The main reason I was looking at Deere is the local dealer support, and I have the most experience with them and vintage internationals.

/ Upgrading from my 8N #6  
Don't worry, the 8N isn't going anywhere! The main reason I was looking at Deere is the local dealer support, and I have the most experience with them and vintage internationals.

"the 8N isn't going anywhere!"

GOOD!!
Tractors are like guns!
NEVER sell one!
Just buy another one, if you want it!

/ Upgrading from my 8N #7  
I have a 2030, I have owned 24 years. The only thing I do not like is the collar shift transmission. I have to stop for any gear or direction change. Since you do not plan on a loader look for the swept back front axle, vs the straight front axle for better maneuverablity.
The 2040 1976-1979 will also be collar shift, 1980 they were offered in syncro shift.

I would want the 2040 (if syncro shift) or the 2155

/ Upgrading from my 8N
I have a 2030, I have owned 24 years. The only thing I do not like is the collar shift transmission. I have to stop for any gear or direction change. Since you do not plan on a loader look for the swept back front axle, vs the straight front axle for better maneuverablity.
The 2040 1976-1979 will also be collar shift, 1980 they were offered in syncro shift.

I would want the 2040 (if syncro shift) or the 2155

Good point about the collar shift. I love the powershift in my 4440. Do any of the small tractors have anything similiar to the powershift?

/ Upgrading from my 8N #9  
I'd suggest go with a Deere 4400 (or 4300) if you can find one. With hydrostatic for maneuverability and pre-electronic tranny. Great Yanmar diesels, and closest to the good 'ol 8N Fords. They were a classic.
They do hold their value, so they may not make your 'low value' list. But there-in is solid reason to stick with green. :)

/ Upgrading from my 8N #10  
Three years ago I was able to get a two owner Ford 4610 SU with 2900 easy hours. I don't know your budget but I got a decent deal on it. It is an ideal chore tractor if you don't need an FEL tractor. Pretty nimble, plenty of power, parts are available, wet brakes, independent PTO, and power steering. If you can find one for sale get it. Not that many are on the market. Folks that have them are not willing to part with them. I was fortunate and patient.

This.

JMO but up until the mid to late 90's or early 2000's I much preferred Ford to JD for say your sub-80 to 100 HP tractors. I thought their control were nicer and more ergonomic especially their petals. They pull at least as well as their comparable Deeres from that era. I also thought they were easier to use and maneuver. Part of this is likely because I spent more time growing up on older Fords than JD's, but I spent quite a lot of time on a JD 2040 as a kid as I worked for a farmer who owned mostly JD's and I put a lot of time on that tractor doing many different things. It's not that I thought it wasn't a good tractor, it just wasn't my preferred tractor.

I've never used one but when I was a kid I always thought the 2155 looked like a really nice tractor with good looks to match. I had an add for one that I ripped out an old Progressive Farmer because I liked how it looked so much.