Tractor
    JD 4200

Default 5065e Price and Bush Hog Suggestions???

I have only about 25 acres to keep clean, but with my current 4200 and 5' bush hog, takes forever to bush hog. And I like to keep it pretty trim, so I probably cut it 4 times a summer. I would like to cut it once a month.

So I'm thinking a 5065e, with FEL and power reverse. I'm getting quotes for $35K without getting real serious yet. What do you think??

But in the Bush Hog department, I'm getting confliction info. I've been told that a 12' batwing will be no problem and another telling me that I should'nt go any larger than a 7' single spindle.
    My land has no hills but but does have a lot of trees. The grass I'll be cutting is pretty clean. I plan on keeping my little tractor and 5 footer for tight stuff.

Will I be able to pull a 12' batwing just fine??

Thanks

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 5100E/H260/MX15

Default Re: 5065e Price and Bush Hog Suggestions???

Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood55 View Post
    I have only about 25 acres to keep clean, but with my current 4200 and 5' bush hog, takes forever to bush hog. And I like to keep it pretty trim, so I probably cut it 4 times a summer. I would like to cut it once a month.

So I'm thinking a 5065e, with FEL and power reverse. I'm getting quotes for $35K without getting real serious yet. What do you think??

But in the Bush Hog department, I'm getting confliction info. I've been told that a 12' batwing will be no problem and another telling me that I should'nt go any larger than a 7' single spindle.
    My land has no hills but but does have a lot of trees. The grass I'll be cutting is pretty clean. I plan on keeping my little tractor and 5 footer for tight stuff.

Will I be able to pull a 12' batwing just fine??

Thanks
    I had a 5055e cab and was messing around with an old 15’ batwing. That didn’t like any part of starting or pulling it. On any hill you could really feel it behind you. The fact that your place is smooth hels a bunch. I had a 7’ shredder and it was all that 55 wanted in good pasture. It would take me 15 hrs and 50 gallons of fuel to mow 23 acres. I traded it in on a new 100 hp Deere with mx15 and worse case it’s 4 hrs, best case 3 hrs and that’s going around a bunch of trees. The batwing is the way to go for sure. Since you haven’t bought yet, I’d consider the 5075 or depending on money the 5085. The 85 has a 4 cylinder and an option for the 24/12 trans which is very nice for running a batwing. Very seldom do people wish they had less power and it’s cheaper to get it now vs later.

Brett
    2017 Deere 5100E Cab 24/12
    MX15
    MX8
    BB4296

2017 Kubota ZD1211-60RD
    RTV-X1100C 2" lift, 27x11s, 4K winch

Tractor
    Ford 861, Farmall Cub

$35K sounds like an excellent price for a new 5065E with a FEL and PowerReverser tranny if it 4WD. I can't even get a MF 2607H with 4WD and a loader quoted for less than low $36,000's. The best I've been quoted for a 5075E configured the same is $38,625. That's an 2018 model as it seems all the new 2017 models configured like that are sold out from my local dealers networks.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland Workmaster 50, Ford 4610 SU

67 HP tractor with 49 at the PTO...
    I don't have any experience with the newer lighter weight 12' brush hogs...
    They are designed specifically for compact utility tractors...
    They typically have 3" blades and smaller lighter weight blade carriers (stump jumpers) than typical brush hogs and are capable for brush up to 1-1/2"...
    The lighter weight blades and jumper makes it easier to start the unit up...
    On level ground and lighter cutting jobs you should be OK but will be at the upper end of your HP range...
    I currently run a 6' Brown like nobody's business with either a Ford 4610 SU Ford or New Holland Workmaster 50...
    Typical HP requirements are 5 HP per foot of cut...
    I think Rhino and Woods lists 35 HP as a minimum for their 12 foot units...
    Bush Hog lists 50 HP as a minimum...
    That's around 3 HP per foot of cut for the Woods and Rhino...4 HP per foot of cut for the Bush Hog...
    It's hard for old heads like me to accept those lower HP ratings for those brush hogs and I don't trust some salesmen...
    Manufacturers have a vested interest in publishing recommended HP requirements that are conservative in nature...
    Good luck and keep us updated on your decision...