Buying Advice Is JD worth the money

/ Is JD worth the money #21  
View attachment 546104View attachment 546105View attachment 546106View attachment 546107View attachment 546108View attachment 546110

455 got a Ruegg Cat 1 3pt, Revised Reverse Pedal (reverse speed goes from 2.8mph to over 5mph) and I bent the discharge shoot back today.

I’m happy with my 4320 and 455.

I think parts are a bit high sometimes but they have a big enough following that guys make better aftermarket parts.

Reverse pedal is made by a guy in Orville Ohio, Ruegg is in Navarre Ohio and makes a 3pt about twice as heavy as Deere’s plus it’s $300 cheaper.

Both my machines where bought used. 4320 had 830 hours, 455 had 1200 hours. Both had a high sticker price, resale was a fraction of new price, that being said I will be a old man (27 now) by the time I wear both out.

I also sold a 1989 318 recently, bought it to make money, paid $1400 for it, put $120 and sold it for $2500 with a rear blade that I had $250 in, so made over $700 on a 28 year old JD garden tractor.

View attachment 546118

Not all JDs are home runs and last but they have a strong dealer network, very large following and they sell well off reputation.

That being said the “E” tractors seem to be more problematic with failures.

Those JD 318's are awesome little machines.
Only problem is parts, for those ancient Onans.
There is a Honda replacement engine available though, that is widely loved.

/ Is JD worth the money #22  
I am looking at a 4044R. I really like the tractor and all the ease of use. However I find the lift capacity of the FEL is about 800lbs less than the other units we are looking at. Price quote of $36K. Is it really worth 10k more than a LS, MF, Yanmar or Kabota

I was over at deere.com looking at the current John Deere compact tractors. That 4044R is really a nice-looking machine. But then I got to reading the reviews by 4044r owners and was sure surprised. Anyone else read those?
rScotty

Compact Utility Tractor | 444R | John Deere US

/ Is JD worth the money #23  
We are looking at the 40 series something Jd's as well. These poor reviews on JD's site may be the early versions and there are darn few reviews there anyway. Reading reviews on many various sites, some people have loved them while the next one hates his/her. Overall, the later built one had reasonably good reviews. Nonetheless, JD products are not perfect but neither is all the other brands. We rented a discount brand tractor for the summer, and broke it over and over again. Today we plan to purchase a new or near new JD and expect to pay more for it than XYZ brands. Granted, something about it will not be perfect but we do hope to spend more time working with it, and less in the repair shop. No machine is perfect.

/ Is JD worth the money #24  
Those JD 318's are awesome little machines.
Only problem is parts, for those ancient Onans.
There is a Honda replacement engine available though, that is widely loved.

The one I had, had a replacement linamar 20hp. Onan sold out to Linamar, part per part they are inner changable, same engine. The Linamar 770 is the 18hp, the 790 is the 20hp.

IMG_9974.JPGIMG_9976.JPG

Wheel weights, bar tires, 50in deck, 3pt, newer 20hp engine, silver series battery with a 2 year free replacement, dude got a very capable machine for what he paid.

/ Is JD worth the money #25  
I have both a John Deere (1985) and an LS, and like both of them quite a bit. I will say, I like the older Deere痴, more than the new ones, too much aluminum and plastic on some of the recent models.

If you decide on the LS or Kioti, you will get an excellent tractor, and still have money in the budget for implements.

/ Is JD worth the money #26  
The 4044R is a premium tractor commanding a premium price. I wanted more value and opted for a New Holland Workmaster. Those two do not really compete. The Deere has more options with hydro and power reverser along with a cab. From what you were quoted my New Holland was over 10K less. Some may argue it is 10K less tractor. Comfort wise yes. Performance wise no.

/ Is JD worth the money #27  
The real question might be, is the money worth anything?

I was shocked, that our JD 6200 has about tripled in dollar amount since the mid 90s.

/ Is JD worth the money #28  
We are looking at the 40 series something Jd's as well. These poor reviews on JD's site may be the early versions and there are darn few reviews there anyway. Reading reviews on many various sites, some people have loved them while the next one hates his/her. Overall, the later built one had reasonably good reviews. Nonetheless, JD products are not perfect but neither is all the other brands. We rented a discount brand tractor for the summer, and broke it over and over again. Today we plan to purchase a new or near new JD and expect to pay more for it than XYZ brands. Granted, something about it will not be perfect but we do hope to spend more time working with it, and less in the repair shop. No machine is perfect.

Sounds like you are absolutely sold on the JD brand. Not that I blame you; I was the same way. For our last tractor my wife said stay under 50K and left the model choice up to me. I said we wanted JD. Spent a month of weekends at JD dealers and simply couldn't find what what I wanted in any one machine. Stopped by Kubota just on a whim one day - back then I always drove on past Kubota without stopping because I thought of them as a rental yard tractor. In fact, I still do. And I don't really care for the pumpkin color. Anyway, for some reason we stopped and they had just the machine we were looking for. It was a matter of features, not price. Ten years later we look back on that purchase as one of those, "I sure am glad we did that" kinda things.

In my opinion, JD will eventually win out. At least I hope so But in the interest of complete disclosure I should say that we own stock in JD and so until JD does win out, I would just as soon that people stop comparing brands of compact tractors.

This summer I'll be refurbishing our 60 year old JD. It'll be mostly little stuff. The basic tractor works fine.
rScotty

/ Is JD worth the money #29  
Don't forget: The "value" is not just a function of the (purchase) price on the front end, but also of the (selling) price on the back end.

/ Is JD worth the money #30  
Don't forget: The "value" is not just a function of the (purchase) price on the front end, but also of the (selling) price on the back end.
I don't see paying a higher purchase price as "value" added.

Pay more on the front end you usually get more on the back end (selling). And of course it applies the other way around too. Pay less on the front end and expect less on the back end. So I would consider it a "wash" either way.

Although, I never purchase anything with the thought of what I will get for it if/when I sell it.