Buying Advice Is JD worth the money

/ Is JD worth the money #1  

Ffphil

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT359C
I am looking at a 4044R. I really like the tractor and all the ease of use. However I find the lift capacity of the FEL is about 800lbs less than the other units we are looking at. Price quote of $36K. Is it really worth 10k more than a LS, MF, Yanmar or Kabota

/ Is JD worth the money #2  
Hi,

From a guy who runs Deere all day everyday. No. Check out the New Holland Boomer 46D, offerings from Massey Ferguson, Kioti and Kubota. There are some other options without tons of aluminum and Chinese castings, inflated price structure and average parts support and schematics.

Brian

/ Is JD worth the money #3  
i went from a john deere to a LS and don't regret it.i looked at a 39 hp cab john deere and loader.$36500.ended up with a LS 55 hp cab and loader for $30500.i think john deere quality has went downhill and price has gone up

/ Is JD worth the money #4  
Same here in north Florida.

I shopped all the colors and found them all highly over priced and no longer competitive.

I was sold on LS!!

After all the calculations were done with what I would've spent for the bare tractor,
I loaded out over $8K worth of attachments and add-ons (3rd function kit)

/ Is JD worth the money #5  
I am looking at a 4044R. I really like the tractor and all the ease of use. However I find the lift capacity of the FEL is about 800lbs less than the other units we are looking at. Price quote of $36K. Is it really worth 10k more than a LS, MF, Yanmar or Kabota

No they are not worth that much. Of your brands listed, my order of preference would be

Kubota
Yanmar
LS
MF

All are good brands, so get what you like.

/ Is JD worth the money #6  
If you are comparing a non grand kubota to a R series sure they will be quite a bit more. Compare the R series to the Grand L.

That being said I would go Mahindra prob if I was buying new, I bought used and went with JD for both tractor and mower.

For what I paid, I’m very happy with my 05 4320 and my 99 455, both are very good tractors.

I would not own any “E” series JD, just don’t like them and they feel too cheap compared to sticker.

Never looked at LS but NH and Case was the most expensive tractors that I priced when I was looking.

/ Is JD worth the money #7  

I don't think so, or at least not all the time. For me, a part of what JD is selling is the club you join when you buy green. And I think that's worth something - at least it is for me. I may not always end up buying a John Deere, but I always start by looking at their models. That's because JD is always good, sometimes excellent, and every once in a while they will turn out a model so good that it becomes a classic. JD may not be killing the competition on any one model, but with JD you get the feeling that they are always striving to be the best. I like that attitude. The other brands make some good reliable tractors for the money, but unless they change their tactics I don't think they will ever make a classic.
BTW, are you sure about that lift capacity? There's a lot of different ways to measure lift capacity; make sure it's apples to apples.
rScotty

/ Is JD worth the money #8  
I'd buy other brands over a JD. I've got seat time and more than just driving around the dealers lot and wasn't impressed.

/ Is JD worth the money
Thanks all. FYI I am comparing apples to apples. rScotty I agree with you, like what the club stands for and your statement is spot on. I am comparing 5 models and all very similar. Budget is tight, but not so tight I won't spend a little more for quality. Just don't have the budget to spend money where not needed. Thank you all for you specific input. I'm sure I'll post more in the general area at the end of April when I narrow it down to two or three.

/ Is JD worth the money #10  
I'm on my third JD and have never had a problem...that's good enough for me to stay with JD. Not to say others would be problem free - I think Kubota is a fine brand. I like Kubota RTV over JD, I like New Holland SS over JD. But do prefer JD tractors other others. There's a Mahindra dealer near by; I happen to notice many "new" Mahindra on the lot whereby fenders and hoods are fading and discolored badly from the sun. If you make a living as a farmer and it's all about the bottom line in having something that will do a task sans design style, fun and excitement, than I understanding value shopping. You can run all your errands in a Toyota just as well as a BMW. However, it will be more enjoyable in a BMW.