About to pull the trigger on a 2018 JD 2018r

/ About to pull the trigger on a 2018 JD 2018r #1  

SI2305

Gold Member
Hello all,

I have been thinking about this purchase for almost two years and I am about to finalize the deal on a new, 2018 JD 2038r. I went this route because my wife would like me to mow our 5-6 acre or rough grass on a regular basis as opposed to the once per year I do now with the 2305. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely loved my 2305, but it takes quite a while to mow the rough ground and it is not the machine for rough cutting large amounts of ground on a regular basis. I am initially getting the tractor with a FEL and a 6' rotary cutter. In the future I plan to add a grader blade for snow, a flail mower, a grapple and maybe a box blade. Perhaps the best part of the deal is that I sorta get to keep the 2305 and sell it too. I am selling the 2305 and all of its implements to my neighbor across the road with the caveat that I can borrow it if I need to get into tight areas where a larger tractor won't fit (think woods).

With a little luck I will get it in 1-2 weeks and I will update with pictures when I get it.

SI2305

/ About to pull the trigger on a 2018 JD 2018r #2  
I think you will love mowing more often. I went from a 2305 to a 2720 and love it. It goes almost everywhere the 2305 did. Someday I hope to move up to the 2038r.

I'm looking forward to your pics and review.

/ About to pull the trigger on a 2018 JD 2018r
So the tractor is still on, but the time frame has been moved out to 6 weeks (can hardly wait!!). In the mean time, since we are waiting a bit more I am going to have the tractor pre-plumbed for a grapple and add one rear SCV. Bigtiller, fear not, when I get the machine, I will post gazillions of pictures and will give a prompt review as soon as I get some seat time on it.

By the way, I think I am going to keep the handle even it won't accurately reflect my tractor. I grew up on the 2305 and will always love that machine.

Happy tractoring,

SI2305

/ About to pull the trigger on a 2018 JD 2018r #4  
So the tractor is still on, but the time frame has been moved out to 6 weeks (can hardly wait!!). In the mean time, since we are waiting a bit more I am going to have the tractor pre-plumbed for a grapple and add one rear SCV. Bigtiller, fear not, when I get the machine, I will post gazillions of pictures and will give a prompt review as soon as I get some seat time on it.

By the way, I think I am going to keep the handle even it won't accurately reflect my tractor. I grew up on the 2305 and will always love that machine.

Happy tractoring,

SI2305

Add the 2038R to your profile and everyone will understand.

I recently ordered a PB1001 moldboard plow and was told 6 wks also. I wonder what that is all about.

/ About to pull the trigger on a 2018 JD 2018r #5  
Congrats on your new 2038, they are really nice machines!

Kenny D,

Thanks for the congrats. Do you have any particular close up experience with the 2038r?

Bigtiller,

Actually the extra wait for me is not Deere, I just need that extra time to get my financial ducks in a row. Assuming my wife approves I will buy the tractor up front--no financing. I won't be mowing until at least June so I plan to buy about June 1. Since I have that extra time I thought I would add a couple bells and whistles. Since you are planning on getting one I will try give you a user review asap. You said you started off on a 2305 yourself. I love mine, just curious about what made you upgrade to the 2720 and what makes you want to upgrade again to a 2038r? For me, I fully intend for this to be my last tractor ever. I can't see ever needing more hp, the features look great and while there are times a cab sounds attractive, there are more times when a cab would get in my way (like when I am operating in the woods). Not trying to get terribly personal, just curious as we are taking similar paths with tractor upgrades.

SI2305

/ About to pull the trigger on a 2018 JD 2018r #7  
Kenny D,

Thanks for the congrats. Do you have any particular close up experience with the 2038r?

No sir, just seen them at the dealers and there is TONS of talk and pictures over on the GTT forum about them.

/ About to pull the trigger on a 2018 JD 2018r #8  
Kenny D,

Bigtiller,

Actually the extra wait for me is not Deere, I just need that extra time to get my financial ducks in a row. Assuming my wife approves I will buy the tractor up front--no financing. I won't be mowing until at least June so I plan to buy about June 1. Since I have that extra time I thought I would add a couple bells and whistles. Since you are planning on getting one I will try give you a user review asap. You said you started off on a 2305 yourself. I love mine, just curious about what made you upgrade to the 2720 and what makes you want to upgrade again to a 2038r? For me, I fully intend for this to be my last tractor ever. I can't see ever needing more hp, the features look great and while there are times a cab sounds attractive, there are more times when a cab would get in my way (like when I am operating in the woods). Not trying to get terribly personal, just curious as we are taking similar paths with tractor upgrades.

SI2305

I'm not planning for one anytime soon. I already blue my cash for this year and next on the list is a new truck. So it will be a couple years down the road for me. Maybe by then they will come out with a 2046R. :thumbsup: My reverse tine tiller really sucks up the hp and the snowblower can lug the engine if I get in a big hurry in the drifts.

I traded my 2305 for the 2720 for a smoother ride while mowing, more hp for the tiller and I needed higher clearance to start ruff cutting a waterway in the corn field.

Bigtiller,

Reverse tillers are like a black hole for HP. I can totally see the need for more HP in that regard. I bet your 2720 has a lot better ride than the 2305. Don't get me wrong, I love my 2305, but at the end of the day it is still a subcompact tractor. I have sat on many subcompact tractors and the 2305 still fits me best in that category, but like you I have finally outgrown the category. Regarding your wish for higher ground clearance, I wish that tractor manufacturers (or a third party) would make some sort of belly armor to protect the underside of the tractor from damage.

SI2305

Hello all,

As I stated above, I will soon take possession of a jd 2038r. Mine arrived and I got on it at the dealership. Overall it was great. I did have one issue though and I want input from those who operate larger sized (meaning jd 3 series and Kubota L series tractors). The 2038r has a frame size close to that of a 3 series, but under the hood it lacks a filter screen in front of the radiator. It still has a pre screen at the very front (the grill), but my 2305 has another screen right in front of the radiator and it collects LOTS of dust that would otherwise get into the radiator itself. Do larger tractors not need the screen filter? Should I try to fashion up a filter to go under the hood? I would very much appreciate other's input before I buy.

Thanks in advance,

SI2305