Comparison Compare 4044M, 4052M, 4044R

/ Compare 4044M, 4052M, 4044R #1  

Jcapra

Tractor
So I can't decide which John Deere tractor I should buy. I'm looking at the 4044M, 4052M and the 4044R. I would like to hear from some people that may have looked or purchased one of these, to see why they bought the one they did and how they like there decision after buying them. I'm going to use this tractor to brush hog about 10 acres, blade the driveway, move brush piles, clear cedar trees and move 4x4 hay bales. I have been priced the following for each unit with a FEL, I-Match, Hydro twin petal and rear draw bar.

4044M - 26,900
4052M - 28,400
4044R - 30,500

Last edited:
   / Compare 4044M, 4052M, 4044R #2  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

I don't know if you've sat on any of these tractors or 'got the brochure' for them. A good comparison website, for darn near all tractors is: TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors

Let us know where in the world you are, and your environment. It helps us help you. :)

Enjoy the site.

/ Compare 4044M, 4052M, 4044R #3  
On the two M models I would pay the 1500 for the about 5 more pto hp. (JD site give more pto hp than tractordata.com does, fyi) Interesting though the engine hp is larger difference makes me wonder why pto does not increase more. Also shows the weight to be the same. You will have to decide on the differences between the M and the R model differences. Ask what each of the differences are and weigh what they mean to you.

Do be sure the tractor has the power and ability to handle the round hay bales as you will need to handle the weight and height and also has the power for cutter you will need on those cedar trees.

Not sure the model my bil has but in this size range. I used it couple of weeks ago (lives in hill country of texas and they have lots of cedars there) and I am not a slender person and he is bigger. I found it hard to turn to watch for backing up or to watch for such as box blade. We both found our right left pushing the fel joy stick lowering the fel when we were trying to look backwards. On his model the fel joystick and the hst pedals are not position to us very well. Try that before you decide on the tractor. You be sure you not only sit in the seat, you need to operate the tractor before you buy to be sure you find the controls and platform suit you. If in sun country ask on canopy and rear mirror. Now, I did enjoy running his JD again in this size range with fel and rear blade. It felt stable on their slopes and it pulled I thought very well. His has only two ranges and some here have been critical of while others have three ranges. Using fel and rear blade moving some heavy rocks and doing so on grade found the two ranges worked great. Think the lower range may be geared little higher than low range when tractor has three but it never tried to stalled with me.

/ Compare 4044M, 4052M, 4044R #4  
So I can't decide which John Deere tractor I should buy. I'm looking at the 4044M, 4052M and the 4044R. I would like to hear from some people that may have looked or purchased one of these, to see why they bought the one they did and how they like there decision after buying them. I'm going to use this tractor to brush hog about 10 acres, blade the driveway, move brush piles, clear cedar trees and move 4x4 hay bales. I have been priced the following for each unit with a FEL, I-Match, Hydro twin petal and rear draw bar.

4044M - 26,900
4052M - 28,400
4044R - 30,500

Any of the above handle the chores you're asking. The 8HP difference could be noticeable depending on terrain when under heavy load, although not significant. I'd suggest sitting on a 4M and 4R. The 4R has more creature comforts such as a suspension seat, tilt steering, LoadMatch, SpeedMatch, MotionMatch, Cruise, Fender Mounted Work Lights, quick park loader, etc. I do think the 4M now comes standard with maybe Cruise and MotionMatch???

The loader will be fixed, non removable on the 4M.

You cannot add a OEM backhoe to the 4M Series. Take this for what it is, but I'd assume it has to do with the grade metal of the frame to be able to handle a backhoe.

I had a 4044m in stock for a few weeks and it was very capable and fun to use. Not much it couldn't do.