Buying Advice John Deere 2520

/ John Deere 2520 #1  

Jack Murdock

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2032R
I am considering trading ( or selling outright ) my low hours ( 645 ) very clean JD790 / ags / power beyond/ gear / 419FEL in on a 2520 with 775 hours / hydro / FEL / 54SB snow blower.

I would be interested in thoughts advice etc the 790 I moved snow and brush hogged the field twice a year and used hauling firewood. The very decent and knowledgeable owner of the JD dealership tells me I will love the snowblower and a hydro static transmission.

Thanks in advance.

/ John Deere 2520 #2  
I recently traded my 2004 790 (w/ 258 hours) for a 2013 2032R (w/ 59 hours) and am happy with the change.

My 790 had 300 FEL and 60" MMM, the 2032R came with nothing.

But I was able to move my 200CX FEL from my 2320 to the 2032R (w/ correct Loader posts).

I liked that gear shift transmission, but cleaning my steep driveway (1/2 mile long) with the FEL, getting up in age (61), it would be hard on my clutch leg, I do like the twin pedal JD set-up.

/ John Deere 2520 #3  
The 2520's are very solid machines, I think it's a great upgrade from your 790.

/ John Deere 2520
The 2520's are very solid machines, I think it's a great upgrade from your 790.

Thanks much they have the deposit so its a done deal. It will be my first hydro-static transmission but about my 5th JD in the last 30 years. Do you run turf tires in the woods ? I skid a little firewood. They are adding the power beyond so I can use my hydraulic capstan winch and grapple. How does hydro static perform compared to gears ?

Thanks

/ John Deere 2520 #5  
I love my 2008 2520. It has been a very stout, reliable tractor. I too, skid some firewood with mine and love the improved ground clearance over my JD 2305. I have R4 tires so no experience with turfs in the woods … Good luck!

Frank

/ John Deere 2520 #6  
Thanks much they have the deposit so its a done deal. It will be my first hydro-static transmission but about my 5th JD in the last 30 years. Do you run turf tires in the woods ? I skid a little firewood. They are adding the power beyond so I can use my hydraulic capstan winch and grapple. How does hydro static perform compared to gears ?

Thanks

Turfs are softer and more flexible than R4's, so be careful in the woods-but with care they should do well.

Regarding the hydro tranny, just remember the pedals are not "accelerator" pedals, but rather more like a variable gear ratio pedal, less pedal is a lower gear so when need power don't mash on it-you'll sit there.

/ John Deere 2520 #7  
Do not forget there is a reason it has ranges for the transmission. Regardless how lightly you press the pedal it will not pull well in high range like it will in low.

/ John Deere 2520 #8  
The hydrostatic requires more power to operate than gears. I have a 2720. I would never go back to gears. It's worth the power reduction. If it spins too much in the woods, use chains.

/ John Deere 2520
thanks all I am anxious to get the 2520 here and the 790 sold. The 790 is still in my neighbors barn until someone shows up with some $$