Horizontal or vertical exhaust opinions

/ Horizontal or vertical exhaust opinions #1  

Shadow_River

Tractor
JD 2040 - MF265 - JD5520 4x4 Cab FEL BH
I am pricing out a 5420 and a 5520 JD MFWD with Cab. I have always owned tractors without cabs with vertical exhaust. On the new cab tractor, I am thinking about getting the horizontal side exhaust (not rear exhaust) just to get the exhaust pipe out of view. The exhaust pipe is apparently down by the front tire. The tractor looks more rugged with the vertical but the unobstucted view sure would be nice. The tractor will be used for haying. livestock operations and snow removal. Most of these tractors have verticals and the horizontal is only about a $42.00 option without any discount. There must be more to it than just the price. Anyone had any problems with the horizontal exhaust system? Pros and cons of each type.

Thanks

/ Horizontal or vertical exhaust opinions #2  
I also considered having my exhaust routed to the side. Most muffler shops do this for a reasonable charge. I've owned a couple of tractors with rear exhaust and the fumes get to you when you are behind hooking up equipment.

This is the first tractor I've had with a canopy and I really like the protection it offers from the hot summer sun. I was at first concerned about bush hogging under tree limbs but using my vertical exhaust as a "gauge" has without a doubt saved my canopy from being damaged.

It (the exhaust) sticks up about 1" higher than the canopy and I know if it clears so will the canopy. Watching the exhaust pipe clearance and ignoring the canopy has become so second nature I would probably damage my canopy the first day I didn't have the exhaust pipe up there. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mine is staying where it is. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TBone

/ Horizontal or vertical exhaust opinions #3  
Hi,
I had the rear on 5205. I liked the appearance and the low clearance with the ropes folded. It did seam a little noisier from resonance but would probably not be noticed with a cab.
Dave