New 2025R owners opinions

/ New 2025R owners opinions #1  

KYThunder

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 5055E Cab/JD 2038R
Considering the new 2025r, I have owned a 1025r. Borrowed my neighbors 2016 2025r to try out and it felt way underpowered compared to my 1025r. Wondering if the new 2025r has fixed this with gearing, etc.? High gear was absolutely useless on his while I always used high on mine unless I really needed a lower gear which was rare. I have a z950r zero turn now but I need something to mow a big hill I have out front, possibly replace it if I could use high range. I also have a 5055E cab tractor so its not my do-all tractor, just smaller odd jobs and mowing. Any input is greatly appreciated.

/ New 2025R owners opinions #2  
The 2017 and up 2025R is a stretched out 1025R with bigger tires. I doubt that it will feel any stronger than your 1025R does. Consider the 2038R or 3046R if you want to feel like you are dominating slope mowing .

/ New 2025R owners opinions
Really dont need anything larger than a 1025 or 2025, keeps me out of emissions and fills the gap for smaller yard jobs I dont want the big tractor tearing the yard all to pieces. Also that jump from the 2025 to 2032 is a $6,000 leap, dont want or need it. The 1025 did great Id just like a little larger frame with a tad more ground clearance and its only $2200 difference between the 2. My problem is if the new 2025 is the same as my neighbors 2016, I would steer towards the 1025. Its hard to tell much about power cruising around a dealer lot without a mmm. Just needing real world experience on if the new 2025 is improved in the power to ground department.

/ New 2025R owners opinions #4  
I think most of the 2017 2025R redesign was for ease of use, operator comfort, and visibility. I don't think they changed anything in the power department so I think it will feel the same. I could be wrong but that was the impression I got back when it was introduced. I haven't looked into deeply because that is not a tractor in the hp range I'm interested in for my next purchase.

/ New 2025R owners opinions #5  
Hope they haven't screwed up the 2025R. Mine is hugely better than the 1025R lemon that I had.

Ralph

/ New 2025R owners opinions #6  
Hey KYThunder,

I have a new 1025R, but have been studying info about the new version of the 2025R tractor. I think mercdv is correct as far as the power department on the 2025R goes: It has the exact same engine as 1025R and very similar power train if not the exact same power train as the 1025R from what my dealer has told me. The sales men at my local JD dealer don't look very favorably at the 2 series tractors where I am located. They did recently get a 2025R in stock (which I checked out), but they almost never carry them (new or old version). They go from the 1 series to the 3 series. As far as mowing a big hill, depending on if you mow it up and down or side to side. I (personally) would be concerned about stability on a hill if doing side to side mowing unless you have the tires filled and some weight on the front end. I am not an expert by any means, but the 2025R is definitely taller than a 1025R.

The yard I mow is about four acres with about 75 percent of it being sloped in different directions. When I am mowing the steeper sections I am better off mowing in low range than in high range. It just seems to be less work on the engine. this has been a BIG adjustment for me. I had been using the church's JD 430 diesel lawn and garden tractor which is has just a 20 horse tier nothing emissions engine. If the grass was not super heavy I could mow in high range at almost full speed (and do a nice job of cutting the grass) which according to the owners manual is 10 mph. It is/was as fast as a lot of ZTR mowers. I could cut the yard in 2 hours 15 minutes with the 430 mower. Now it take me almost 4 hours to cut the grass with my 1025R. I dare say you might actually consider a X700 series mower if mowing will be the primary function of the machine. If not a 1025R might be the better choice. I very much like the bigger stature of the 2025R tractor, but I just don't know if it would be stable enough for where I mow - any direction I try to cut the grass, I am still riding on a slope sideways.

Good luck with your tractor shopping sir. :)

The mowing is straight up and down only, no way you could attempt sideways. I think Im going to bypass the 2025 and move up to the 2038, dealer is working me up a price and I am going to go kick the tires Saturday and drive them all. Thanks for the responses!

/ New 2025R owners opinions #8  
The mowing is straight up and down only, no way you could attempt sideways.

Gotcha!

I think Im going to bypass the 2025 and move up to the 2038, dealer is working me up a price and I am going to go kick the tires Saturday and drive them all. Thanks for the responses!

That's cool. I would be interested in what you think of a 2032R/2038R. I did get to see a 2038R with a 72" MMM a few weeks ago at a dealership about an hour away from me. Seemed like a cool tractor with a lot of nice/handy features. The electronic height of cut adjustment seems pretty neat - no mechanical dial to deal with. I hope you get the machine you want/need for the tasks you need to do sir. :)

/ New 2025R owners opinions #9  
The mowing is straight up and down only, no way you could attempt sideways. I think Im going to bypass the 2025 and move up to the 2038, dealer is working me up a price and I am going to go kick the tires Saturday and drive them all. Thanks for the responses!

I think you probably made the wise decision. After reading up on the 2025, I was disappointed that they didn't take advantage of the redesign and beef up the engine and the hydraulics a little. Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

Well I went today, the 2038 is a real nice rig for sure. I drove it first and I noticed he had a 2025 there, so I said just for fun let me try it. I took it to the back of the dealership where there is a steep mowed hill, left it in high range and it never whined or growled, just ate it up. I was pretty shocked as the one of my neighbor really struggled in high range to do anything, I am keeping in mind though this was a bare tractor, no mower deck running but I swear it felt just like my 1025 had. Maybe they have regeared or changed hydraulic pressures, I don't know but it really got me thinking. Now the decision of which...$25,000 for the 2038 with mmm and fel, $18,300 for the 2025, mmm and fel. The 2038 is way superior in build and function there is no doubt but do I really need it.....decisions, decisions.