JD 4320 Purchasing Questions...

/ JD 4320 Purchasing Questions... #1  

FLDave

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4320, loadmatch, speedmatch, motionmatch, automotive cruise, r4's
Hello everyone,

I've been busy getting quotes for a new JD 4320, 4wd, eHydro, 400X FEL.

I'm getting real close to being able to make a purchase. My businesses fiscal year ends June 30. I bought my Dodge 3500, 4x4 Diesel this fiscal year. I want to get a tractor for next (July 1, 2004-June 30, 2005) fiscal year.

I have a couple dilemmas I need help with:

First I want to say thank you to Billy Passmore (BillyP), Mike McCloskey (rockeyridgefarm), Richard (coyboydoc), and everyone else that tried to help me make an intelligent decision.

1.) I have 15 acres of property. They are starting to build our house on it next week. It is pasture with a cross creek basically. I need to mow, brush hog (MX6?), maintain a 800 ft. crushed shell driveway, add 800 more feet of driveway, and move dirt forever until the property drains correctly. I will also have fences to install, outbuildings to build, and livestock to keep. I am also planning on using an acre for Palm Tree production. Last but not least, I need to maintain my (3) 1,000 cu. yd. turtle ponds.

Is a JD 4320 (48 hp/40 hp PTO), 4wd, w/FEL going to be enough or too much? I originally was set on a JD 4710 before I drove the 4320.

2.) I know everyone preaches to buy from a close dealer. The problem is this:

Closest dealer (45 minutes away):
$28,709.00 JD 4320, 4wd, eHydro, 400X FEL, tax

Next closest dealer (1 1/2 hours away):
$28,152.00 JD 4320, 4wd, eHydro, 400X FEL, tax

Dealer 6 hours away:
$24,200.00 JD 4320, 4wd, eHydro, 400X FEL

If I drive 6 hours I save between $3,952.00 and $4,509.00. I don't know what everyones financial situation is but for that money I'm driving. Anyone dare to say why I should buy locally with this kind of price difference?

3.) Is this quote ($24,200.00/JD 4320 4wd, eHydro, 400X FEL) a pretty good deal?

4.) I want to know all the specifications before I buy also. Are they being released July 1?

Sorry but who else can I ask?

Thanks a lot,

P.S.-Despite the price differences all of the John Deere Dealers treated me well. The ones that were busy I had to wait for, in business that's just how it goes. I went to a local Kubota/NH dealer and that wasn't the case. I'm still waiting for the salesman to return my call a week after visiting their dealership and telling them I was ready to buy.

/ JD 4320 Purchasing Questions... #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1.) I have 15 acres of property. They are starting to build our house on it next week. It is pasture with a cross creek basically. I need to mow, brush hog (MX6?), maintain a 800 ft. crushed shell driveway, add 800 more feet of driveway, and move dirt forever until the property drains correctly. I will also have fences to install, outbuildings to build, and livestock to keep. I am also planning on using an acre for Palm Tree production. Last but not least, I need to maintain my (3) 1,000 cu. yd. turtle ponds.)</font>
I think you are sized fine. The MX6 is great, and if you want that, the 4x20 is the way to go...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is a JD 4320 (48 hp/40 hp PTO), 4wd, w/FEL going to be enough or too much? I originally was set on a JD 4710 before I drove the 4320.)</font>
If you want an MX6 (you should) and have the room, yup. But I think a 4120 should be FINE, why not go that route?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 2.) I know everyone preaches to buy from a close dealer... ...If I drive 6 hours I save between $3,952.00 and $4,509.00.

3.) Is this quote ($24,200.00/JD 4320 4wd, eHydro, 400X FEL) a pretty good deal?)</font>
A brand new model is always tricky. There is limited availability, so they may get priced a little "high". If you buy from a dealer, I would suggest you plan on using them for service. Do not assume the local guy will always ive top notch service if you didn't buy from him. Have you used Deere's dealer locator and checked all your options? How about taking your bids to the close dealer and saying "what can we do to close the gap?" Again, would a 4120 work? At first look, it seems there is almost no difference, and once the warranty is out, a little tuning could turn a 4120 into a 4320...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 4.) I want to know all the specifications before I buy also. Are they being released July 1?)</font>
So do we. Why not ask to photocopy the specs from an owners manual at the dealer. Then you can post them and we'll throw the tbn brain trust (and me, too) at it.

/ JD 4320 Purchasing Questions... #3  
Florida Dave,

I bought a 4310 for a similarly sized property about a year ago. I think it's an ideal size for the property. I don't know much about the new 4320's so I can't give you any help on your pricing question.

As a newbie owner, I am very, very happy in hindsight that I bought from a local dealer with an excellent reputation for service. I have had a couple of problems in the year since buying my tractor, and the convenience of being just 30 minutes away from the dealer has made things much easier. I know that there is a steep price differential in your particular situation, but I would recommend thinking hard about servicing issues when you make your final decision.

If your pasture is not brutal, one possible way to reduce your costs is to go with the LX rotary cutter rather than the more powerful MX cutter. So far, my LX6 has chopped through everything I've fed it (but others may have had different experiences). If this works for your situation, my recollection is that the LX cutters are about 2/3 the price of the MX cutters.

Best of luck!

/ JD 4320 Purchasing Questions... #4  
I think I'd drive the 6 hours. I'm lucky, my dealer prices things good to everyone. His price if I recall correctly, for a 4320 ehydro, 400 FEL, R4's, is $24,700

So your 6 hour drive price is better than my dealer. I would not drive/haul 6 hours for $500 but for over $3000 it is a no brainer...Kyle

/ JD 4320 Purchasing Questions... #5  
I'd get something in writing (fax/email, etc.) from the low-price dealer and see if I could get a local dealer in that ballpark before making the drive. That also might save a 6 hr. drive to have the guy tell you he made a mistake on his quote too. Good luck on the 4320, it looks to be a great machine !

/ JD 4320 Purchasing Questions... #6  
One question: Is the State of Fla going to expect you to pay tax on your out of State purchase?

Well ok two questions I guess...what are the prices locally minus the tax?

/ JD 4320 Purchasing Questions... #7  
In my State (Michigan) you can get a sales tax exemption for a farming operation.

/ JD 4320 Purchasing Questions...
Hello All,

Thanks for all the help, here are a few answers to clarify my thoughts.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Again, would a 4120 work? )</font>

I was targeting the 4320 instead of the 4120 because the 4320 has that "magical" 40 hp PTO. I didn't want to go overboard on size and hp but I also didn't want to be caught short either.

July is pretty much here so if my accountant gives me the ok I'll be able to get serious. I still want to be able to review all the specs on the unit first so I can make a comparative analysis.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...the convenience of being just 30 minutes away from the dealer has made things much easier. )</font>

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How about taking your bids to the close dealer and saying "what can we do to close the gap?" )</font>

To be quite frank, the dealer closest to me is $4,509.00 higher in his price. This is AFTER I told him my lowest quote. What gives me the impression he will take care of me anyhow? Salesman come and go in this world. I may have to bring my unit in for repairs rather than have them bring it in for me but the bottom line here is $4,509.00.

I'll try to get quotes from a few more FL dealers to see if I can close the gap but I have my reservations. Many of the FL dealers I went to complained about most of the farms going to GA to buy their tractors and to save sales tax.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think I'd drive the 6 hours. )</font>

I'm already sniffing around as to where I can buy/borrow a trailer.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'd get something in writing (fax/email, etc.) from the low-price dealer and see if I could get a local dealer in that ballpark before making the drive. )</font>

I used to buy equipment when I was a Mechanical Engineer. That's usually how I learned get good prices...you tell your bidder you are getting quotes so he knows he can't sucker you too badly. I get at least 3-5 competitive quotes. Yes, the quotes I have have been faxed over on the bidders letterhead. The model numbers and and optional specifications are listed on the bid also.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One question: Is the State of Fla going to expect you to pay tax on your out of State purchase?
)</font>

Im not sure. GA has no sales tax for tractors purchased for ag usage. FL has 3.5% fo ag usage. If I buy the tractor in GA then I'm not sure if FL will get me later on.

I better go and get to work...any more thoughts?

Thanks,

/ JD 4320 Purchasing Questions... #9  
Dave - while you're at it - just out of curiosity ask him why the 4320 costs more than the 4120 (and why the 4520 costs more than the 4320...etc.,.). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

From everything I've been able to unearth so far on the 4000 Twenty series tractors - there are no listed spec or even part # differences inside the engine. Short of getting the tech manuals - it sure sounds like the hp comes from some some pump/relief valve setting somewhere.

Turning a screw another 1/2 turn is worth $1500?

/ JD 4320 Purchasing Questions... #10  
lot's of blank places, but i'll hunt for more complete info for you

Requested comparison is displayed below:
MANUFACTURER John Deere
MODEL 4320
Engine
Manufacturer John Deere 4024T
Aspiration Turbo
Cylinders/Displacement, cu. in. (liters) 4 / 148.9 (2.44)
Cylinder Liners Cast-in-Block
Fuel Tank Cap., US Gal.(L)(Open; Cab) 14.5 (54.9)
Standard ---
Optional ---
MANUFACTURER John Deere
MODEL 4320
Performance
Advertised PTO HP (kW) @ Rated RPM 40.5 (30.2) / 40 (29.8) @ 2400
Official PTO HP (kW) @ Rated RPM ---
@ Standard PTO @ Eng RPM ---
Maximum @ Eng RPM ---
Engine Gross HP(kW) @ Rated Speed 48.1 (35.9) @ 2400
Max Unballast Drwbr HP(kW)@ Eng RPM ---
Maximum Torque (PTO) @ RPM, lb.-ft (Nm) ---
Max Torque Rise(80% Rted Spd)@Eng RPM ---
Maximum Torque Rise % (PTO) @ Eng RPM ---
MANUFACTURER John Deere
MODEL 4320
Fuel Use, U.S.Gal/hr & HP hr/gal at:
PTO @ Rated Eng RPM ---
Standard PTO Speed @ Eng Speed ---
Maximum PTO Power @ Eng RPM ---
Maximum Engine Power @ Eng RPM ---
Max Unballasted Drawbar Power@Eng RPM ---
75% Load, Full Engine RPM (Unballasted) ---
75% Load @ Reduced RPM (Unballasted) ---
MANUFACTURER John Deere
MODEL 4320
Transmission
Std Transmission; Forward/Reverse Hydr Rev 12x12
Opt Transmission; Forward/Reverse eHydro / 3 Range
Left-Hand Reverser Yes / NA
On-The-Go Shifting (Yes/No/Partial) Yes / NA
Direction Reverser; Forward/Reverse Yes / NA
Clutch; Wet/Dry Wet Disc
Creeper No / Optional SpeedMatch
MANUFACTURER John Deere
MODEL 4320
Power Take-Off (PTO)
Standard Rear @ 540 RPM
Optional Mid @ 2100 RPM
Speeds @ RPM ---
Control Independent
MANUFACTURER John Deere
MODEL 4320
Hydraulics
Type Open Center
Pump Rated Output, Gpm (L/min) 17.1 (64.6)
Standard ---
Optional ---
Rated Flow @ One SCV Steering 5.1 (19.3)
Max Output @ SCV Couplers GPM (L/M) Implement 12 (45.3)
Maximum Operating Pressure (PSI) 2500
Maximum Hydraulic Power (HP) ---
Draft Control Type Position Control
Remote Control Valves Available ---
Hitch Category (SAE Designation) Category I
HitchLift Cap. Lb.(kg)@24"Bhnd Lift Pt. 2500 (1134)
Standard ---
Optional ---
Sensing Type ---
MANUFACTURER John Deere
MODEL 4320
Final Drive
Type Planetary
Differential Controls ---
Availability ---
Front ---
Front & Rear ---
Engage On-the-Go Rear Differential Lock Yes
MANUFACTURER John Deere
MODEL 4320
Operator Station
Rollover Protective Structure
Rigid - Foldable - Telescopic Foldable
Platform - Flat/Straddle Flat
Gear Shift Location - Console/Floor Left Hand Side
MANUFACTURER John Deere
MODEL 4320
Cab
Doors ---
Platform - Flat/Straddle ---
dB (A) Rating ---
Seat Suspension System ---
MANUFACTURER John Deere
MODEL 4320
2WD Dimensions
Wheelbase, in. (mm) NA
Front Tread Range, in. (mm) NA NA
Rear Tread Range, in. (mm) NA
Minimum Rear Tread Setting, in. (mm) NA
Front Axle Clearance, in. (mm) NA
Turning Radius w/Brakes, ft. (m) NA
Turning Radius w/o Brakes, ft. (m) NA
Unballasted Operating Weight, lb. (kg) NA
Approx. Ship Wgt, lb.(kg) Open; Cab NA
MANUFACTURER John Deere
MODEL 4320
MFWD Dimensions
Wheelbase, in. (mm) 71.5 (1816)
Front Tread Range, in. (mm) ---
Front Axle Clearance, in. (mm) ---
Turning Radius w/Brakes, ft. (m) 9.2 (2.8)
Turning Radius w/o Brakes, ft. (m) 9.8 (3)
Limited Slip Differential ---
Unballasted Operating Weight, lb. (kg) ---
Approx. Ship Wgt, lb. (kg) Open; Cab 3700 (1679)
MANUFACTURER John Deere
MODEL 4320
Standard Tires
2WD
Front NA
Rear NA
MFWD
Front 8.00-16 R1
Rear 13.6-28 R1
MANUFACTURER John Deere
MODEL 4320
Miscellaneous