2210 vs 4X1X for regular mowing

/ 2210 vs 4X1X for regular mowing #1  

Snowman9000

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 755
Been reading the other active thread on these tractors but I wanted to focus just on mowing. Regular scheduled mowing, 3 acre yard, some trees to mow around. Not long grass, not pastures, but lawn. A very typical mowing situation here on this forum. I really don't want to veer off into 3ph, FEL, weight, HP, etc discussions. I have a 755 I would be getting rid of. I have 3ph implements, I would buy the FEL, but I have the background to know what I want and need on those scores.

I want to figure out, for the mowing, is there any reason the 40/41 series wouldn't be as good as the 2210? I need to look at them side by side, but the 4's have foldable ROPS, so they might be just as good under the trees?

And the weights are pretty close, as far as mowing over the septic field and such.

I've been told the turning radius is the same on each.
Yes/No?

Obviously a 62 vs 60 inch deck is not a big deal.

10-15% of my yard is a little bit rough. Based on different equipment I've used, I feel confident the 2210 has big enough tire size to be okay. But the 4's would be better on that score. Plus all the other stronger specs of the 4's would be great. But considering that 90% of the use will be for mowing, and that a young teen will be doing the mowing /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif , I would still get the 2210 if it's better for the mowing. For one thing, I have a Ford 1320 at work that I can bring home if I need a bit more heft than the 2210 would have for some dirt work.

How would you folks rate these for the mowing I described? Again, not "long wet grass", pastures, or other severe conditions.

-Don

/ 2210 vs 4X1X for regular mowing #2  
I would go with the 2210.

I think a lot of us buy big and then realize that after the projects are done we only need small. It sounds like you can easily get by with the smaller unit.

As for getting under the trees, I would bet the 4x1x would be much taller, I never checked the specs to confirm that, but I know my TC is much taller than a similarly powered TZ. There are 5 or 6 dozen trees on my property that we mow under that I can not get my TC under, not even if I fold the ROPS.

Are you sure the turning radius is the same between the 2 tractors? That seems pretty odd to me. But even if the 2210 is only a few inches tighter it would be much better.

/ 2210 vs 4X1X for regular mowing #3  
I've thought about this a bit. I have a 4110 and a JD LT166 lawn tractor (42 inch wide deck). I've wondered if the LT died for some reason, would I get a MMM for the 4110 or get another LT.

I think I'd get another LT. The 4110 just feels large for mowing my yard. The turning radius is great, that's not the problem, but rather I think it's just the amount of space the 4110 takes up, getting into corners, behind buildings, between trees. If I had a 4 foot wide 8 foot long tractor with a 5 foot wide deck, I'd have to modify my yard a bit to handle it just because it's larger. YMMV (Your Milage May Vary)

You are also higher up. I have a pretty flat yard, so it's not tipping I'm worried about, but the stuff I might not see like baseballs and branch chunks and the like. Also climbing on and off the 4110 to pick stuff up is a bit more work.

I love having the 4110, it's just great for everything I wanted it for. If you're getting the same size mower on the 4110 or the 2210, then the issues I stated above are moot for the most part. If you'd be getting a larger mower deck to cover more territory faster, then that's a different question.

Actually, I think I'd enjoy mowing with the 4110 more, but my yard configuration won't allow it at the moment. Even the 2210 would probably require some changes. The 2210 seems like a good compremise. It works well as a tractor and is small enough and low enough to be a comfortable mower for smaller lawns.

Remember that for the cost of a MMM on the 4110, I think you can get a pretty good LT. I'd be more comfortable having a teenager drive an LT, but that depends on the teenager a bit too. Of course then you have two engines to maintain etc.

Reading back through this post, I see I've rambled and said nothing very useful, but I'll post it anyway. It's stuff to think about.

Cliff

/ 2210 vs 4X1X for regular mowing #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

I want to figure out, for the mowing, is there any reason the 40/41 series wouldn't be as good as the 2210? I need to look at them side by side, but the 4's have foldable ROPS, so they might be just as good under the trees?

)</font>

There is an after market foldable ROPS available for the 2210. You could try to have included while negotiating your price.

/ 2210 vs 4X1X for regular mowing #5  
Snowman9000,

Like the others said, I think you would do fine with the 2210. I don't have a 2210 but I do own a 4110. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Since I got the 4110 a little more than a year ago, I have been pleased with it. I did some minor changes (mostly cutting tree branches, removing small bushes and patching some holes), to my yard so that the mowing would be more convenient /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I got the folding ROPS because I thought this would be the only way to get close to the trees but after removing those low branches, the problem was solved. I leave the ROPS up most of the time now. This might not work for you, but since I had plenty of trees, I prefered doing it this way rather than always folding the ROPS. (Yeah I'm lazy some times!)

Something that I definitely noticed going from my old LGT145 to my JD4110 is the "softness" of the ride. Man the 4110 is great to ride! I still have my grin even a year after when I mow my lawn /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also the 60" MMM is a beast! It is very solid and made to last. It wouldn't supprise me that if it's well taken care of it could last the liftime of 2 smaller lawn tractors /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Well good luck!

Hypernix

/ 2210 vs 4X1X for regular mowing #6  
What I have found not so good about mowing with the 2210 is the smaller wheels and tires for its weight can make for a rough ride (but I have my front tires aired up to much for loader use) and if you turn it sharp all the time the front tires will dig into the sod around trees etc. It is a heavy machine.

/ 2210 vs 4X1X for regular mowing
I haven't done the math yet, but I could get a 60" GT and keep the 755 for all my other uses, instead of selling the 755 and getting a 2210 or 40/41. But 60" GTs are pretty expensive too. In the JD GT line you can get darn close to 5 figures. I could look for a used 425 I suppose.

I was hoping to get down to 1 unit to maintain. However, there are some miscellaneous things that would be easier on a GT. Not to mention that mowing is probably a lot easier on a 60" GT than even on the 2210, except for ride quality in the one area that's a bit rough.

I might let that area return to nature.

Lots of alternatives when you're playing on a few acres.
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Don

/ 2210 vs 4X1X for regular mowing
I got to take test spins on a BX2200 and an IH DX24E today. I'm sure they are virtually identical to the 2210 in terms of "handling" for mowing. I don't think I'd be happy with either of them for my mowing. The multi-purpose idea had me hooked, but I can see now that mowing with my ZTR or a big GT is the way to go, for me.

I did get to take a spin on a Cub Cadet 5252. It is quite a value priced machine. 2WD, 25HP with 60" deck and Cat 1 3ph for $7499. It turns much tighter than the subCUTS because of the lack of FWD hardware. It's more of a big GT. Reminds me of my old JD 420. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

-Don

/ 2210 vs 4X1X for regular mowing #9  
Snowman9000,

While I can't weigh in on the 4X1X, I can on 2210 and 755 differences. The 755 is a wonderful machine, the ergonomics are superb -- the location of the 4WD lever (the 2210 is more awkward), the 4 headlights (the 2210 has only 2), the 3PH is a full Category-1 with position control, and works off the transaxle instead of off the lift arms, etc. Mowing, I would give the 2210 a slight edge, although as you know the 755 w/the 60" commercial deck works wonderfully. The loader is where the major differences are: the 755 cycles much quicker compared to the 2210, which works fine but is slow. But the 400 lbs weight advantage (assuming MFWD), combined with where the weight is, makes the 755 a far superior tractor (don't even think of using the 210 loader on the 2210 without ballast! -- and I'm referring to situations where the 755 needed nothing).

As for the folding ROPS, as Hypernix mentioned, trim a few trees, add some woodchips, and the issue goes away.

Having also owned a 425 for ~ ten years, if you went that way to cut, you would find it a more maneuverable tractor, and it does cut well (my experience is with the 54" deck), but I had some issues with the gas engine (mine was an early model that subsequent changes corrected) -- perhaps you could find a good deal on a 455 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Whichever way you go, my advice is to think twice about getting rid of the 755, it is one great model.

Just my .02

/ 2210 vs 4X1X for regular mowing #10  
I believe the aftermarket folding ROPS would void the JD warranty so I don't think they would bargain with you as far as making a sale. It is also not a JD product.