Default 6420 IVT - Any Comments

G'day from Australia

I am looking buying the new 6420 with IVT. Does anyone have one and what is it like?

I am mainly using it for spraying at 15 mph so am also looking at the suspended front axle and cab suspension.

What do you all reckon?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 990 MFWD and a few others

Default Re: 6420 IVT - Any Comments

They are really nice. Way smoother driving than the JD powershifts. I have driven the IVT's many times at work mainly on the 7920. I like it because they still give you a clutch so you can start and stop with that plus the reverser lever on the side of the steering wheel to change direction. It would be a great trans for spraying since you can go any speed you need. Not to fast or too slow.

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

I've got a 6415 which so far has been rock solid. It's pretty much the same tractor as the 6420 except the 6420 has a nicer cab. I've also got the 8320 with the IVT. The IVT is very nice. Very smooth. All the benefits of a gear transmission but IV speed. We use the 8320 for alot of spraying and no problems at all.

Veteran Member

Hmmmm.............might want to look for an opinion from Euro land on these. Not too many of the 4 cylinder shiftless tractors around North America as of yet. Try over at www.agmachinery.tk or www.fwi.co.uk for answers. The feedback I've heard so far about the ZF EccomII in the Deere tractors is that it is much easier to use than the Vario,especially for occassional users.

Veteran Member

A clutch on a shiftless tranny? Now I've never driven one yet myself,but I've also never seen or even heard of a clutch on a CVT equipped tractor either. Are you sure it is a clutch? More than likely it is what is known as an "Inching Pedal".

Veteran Member

hey Doc,

I gots a question...........Either you made the same typo twice about having a 8320 with IVT.......or you are a Deere guinea pig with a IVT equipped 8030 series in 8320 clothing...........Or Deere is now sticking the IVT into the 8020s and is doing it covertly........?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 990 MFWD and a few others

Well, it's probably not a clutch but if you were a farmer for many years you would be reaching for a clutch so JD put a pedal that you can depress to stop the machine and coast just as if you pushed the clutch on a gear drive. Also they give you split brakes too.

Thanks everyone for your advice.....

All the best from Aus.