Newbie Confused

/ Newbie Confused #1  

5hole

Tractor
None, yet
All,

Hello! Been reading TBN for a few months now. Excellent site. I've enjoyed reading through the forums and learning along the way. I'm hoping that you all can offer some insight/advice to a tractor newbie.

I've made the jump from a 1/4 acre lot to 1 acre. Our new place has some hilly areas, but it's fairly gently sloping, from the front of the lot to the back, and side to side. I've got some moles which give some soft spots in the yard. And the back yard is soft for a day or so after a good rain since it's mostly shaded. I have a few trees to mow around, but the majority of the trees line the back of the property.

That being said, I'm in a real state of confusion over what to get to handle the yard. I spent a couple days at a JD dealer nearby looking at various tractors from the LT up to the 2210. I really liked the way the 2210 handled. But I'm concerned that it's too big for my property, both in size and weight. And there's part of me that keeps thinking that such a machine is severe overkill for my property. The dealer said that the 2210 would be fine, but they also said an LT would do the job.

I plan on using the machine mostly as a mower, say 90% of the time. I have some fill/grading work to do on the property to address some drainage issues. And I have a lot of landscaping (from vine to bushes to medium sized trees) to tear out around the entire house, and then redo the landscaping.

I can certainly see the advantages of the 2210, from an attachment standpoint if nothing else. An FEL and tiller seem like they would help me with the work I have ahead of me. And I have a few friends who I'm sure would LET me bring the tractor to their house for their projects.

Any guidance you all can offer will greatly be appreciated. I seem to be stuck in a never ending circle at the moment. I can think it through once and decide that the LT is enough, then go through the same process again and decide that the 2210 is what I need. I'm sure I forgot some detail, but hopefully I have enough here for your input.

Thanks in advance!
Greg

/ Newbie Confused #2  
5hole,
I had an LT4000 Craftsman mower and mowed the lawn /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have 2 acres, so you can imagine the time I put in riding that thing. I was beating that thing to death.

Now, I'm not really up on the LT series, myself. But it will cut your one acre, no doubt. But I wouldn't put much money on it doing too much tilling and loader work. If you even THINK you'll need it to do those projects later, look at the 2210 a little bit harder.
I ended up buying a TC18 New Holland with loader and MMM. I've never looked back. I still have the LT4000. My wife MIGHT use it once a year to help out, but I keep it for the ditch by the road where the TC18 would flip over. If the riding mower ever goes sour on me, I'll use a weed whacker to cut out by the road /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Newbie Confused #3  
Greg,

This same problem (at all levels of the tractor line-up) has driven many a TBN member mad. Welcome to the club!

The LT will handle your mowing needs but not all of the other things you have listed (and even those you have not thought of yet).

If it fits your budget, I would go for the 2210. I think your dilema, common to many, is that you only NEED a mower but you would like to be able to do so much more. If you get the LT, I expect that you will be trading up in a couple of years because the "other" things will become needs that you will be compelled to satisfy.

Sooner or later you will get the tractor you WANT. Might as well be now.

Jeff

/ Newbie Confused #4  
You are getting good advice, IMO.
Now, if you find out the 2210 is 'too big', then buy a bigger place that fits the 2210.
Problem no more. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Newbie Confused #5  
I think I'll suggest another route here - Have you considered some of the larger garden tractors like the X series, or the Simplicity XL? To me, the 2210 might be mild to moderate overkill. I think they're great little tractors... and if you want to spend the bucks go for it, you'll be smiling. But for the self described 90% mowing of 1 acre or less I'd look smaller - Heck I've got a 4310 and I cut my lawn with a push mower still /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif - Of course that's my problem... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Newbie Confused #6  
I was faced with a similar decision and I am very happy that I went with the 2210. JD salesman was dropping off my GT235 and was a little unsure how it would do on my hill of a driveway with a snowblower. Thank goodness my wife was home when he said that. It made things that much easier in convincing her on the 2210.
Seeing that you have some "projects" on the horizon, I'd go for the 2210. You'll be amazed that the 10% of the non-mowing time quickly increases to 20-25% with all the possible uses of attachments. Good luck.

/ Newbie Confused #7  
You're getting good advice. For your lot size a lawn tractor (LT), intermediate (X-series) or SCUT (2210) will each handle the mowing well. The key difference will be the loader. If you have any inclination that you'd like a 20+ hp wheelbarrow to help you around the place, get the 2210. Once you have it (with FEL), you'll be amazed at what you can do with it. Your mowing percentage may drop to 80% and the FEL uses will grow daily /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Newbie Confused #8  
I have a three acre lot to mow, minus house, barn garden ect. I started out with two and a Sears lawn tractor. Then bought a JD 335 in 2000 new. I purchased the other acre and thought I was spending two much time mowing with the 48" deck. Found this site.
Ended up buying the 2210 with the loader, never looked back! Mowing time is 1.5 hours. We use the loader all the time. Moving mulch, rocks ect. Bought a tiller for the garden and smoothing and reseeding areas. Best money I have spent. If all I did was mowing the 335 with a 54" deck probably would have been fine. I did not know how much I needed a FEL until I got one. Now have over 150 hours on the 2210 and wish I would of had one from the beginning.

/ Newbie Confused #9  
Git the 2210. You will love it as mower and even more for the loader. If you get a lawn tractor and add almost anything to it you'd wish you'd gotten the 2210...

/ Newbie Confused #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You are getting good advice, IMO.
Now, if you find out the 2210 is 'too big', then buy a bigger place that fits the 2210.
Problem no more. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Actually this is pretty much what I did....well not exactly. My wife and I currently live in a sub on a 1/3 acre corner lot. We just purchased 4.5 acres to build a log home and pole barn. I bought the 2210 the next day after closeing on the property. I thought that mowing my 1/3 acre would be a pain with the larger tractor. I was wrong. While it is over kill for the sub lot I can get anywhere I did with the X475 I had and I have less trim work to do. I have the 62 inch deck and it sticks out far enough to get in tighter.

Good luck on your decision....